Maternal & Child Community
6 Month Old just started sleeping on tummy and nightmares?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My 6 month old just started sleeping on her tummy and is having nightmares?  She screams and kicks a handful of times throughout the night with out opening her eyes I just give her a pacifier and she turns her head right back to sleep.  Also she is sleeping on her tummy suddenly.  Should I be especially worried???

i think its normal for them to start sleeping on their tummies at that time.  they can roll over good and they just do it on their own.  when my middle one was that age, she had been rolling over for about 2 months i think... and i would put her to sleep on her back with a sleep positioner on  her sides to try and keep her like that.  she would wigle out of it and flip over on her tummy all through the night and i would keep waking up and putting her on her back again!  my ped just said to stop trying and to make her crib as safe as possible.  we took her bumper out of the crib and put her in a sleep sack to sleep in and i eventually was able to stop waking up every hour to check on her and she was fine.

i don't know about the nightmares though...  i've never had any experiences w/ that!
Thanks for the info. just when I feel like I'm getting the hang of things something new happens.  So I guess I will get the bumper out of her crib and I have sleeping bags but she likes to have a blanket next to her face when she sleeps.  Really strange but she is extra sensitive to light for some reason and I have to cover her face with a blanket when I rock her to sleep or she will fuss and scream.  I don't cover her face when she sleeps but she pulls the blanket next to her face.
It's funny you mentioned this.  With Jake he did that too for the first week of sleeping on his tummy...he's been doing it for quite awhile now but for the first week it was horrible.  He'd be like crying and struggling in his sleep.  We'd turn him back over to his back and it would stop ...but then start again when he turned over....it was awful.

Thankfully it only lasted a week....never had this problem with DD so it made me really nervous....The whole sleeping on the tummy thing makes me nervous anyway and then to see him possibly having nightmares at such a young age, really distrubed me.
I was just talking to a friend because we are both experiencing this right now.  Our babies just started sleeping on tummies and wake up crying all night.  I have found that my two (who are perfectly capable of rolling both ways during the day) can't roll from belly to back in their sleep.  Instead, they wake up crying and will go back to sleep either with a pacifier or if I flip them over.  Hopefully they'll figure it out soon, because getting up ten times a night is making me crazy.  I doubt your daughter is having nightmares, she' s probably just adjusting to something new.
My little guy never woke up though....he's be sleeping and crying and twitching.
Even when I used to turn him to his back...he'd continue to sleep.
my daughter started having night terrors at that age too and she finally just started sleeping fine and she is three. i dont think it has anythign to do wtih the sleep position.