Maternal & Child Community
6 WEEK ULTRASOUND, WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT TO SEE?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

OK.  Let me explain a little bit.... I go for my first u/s tomorrow and according to my LMP I should be 6W 4D but with my O date its a couple days less than that the doctor said she thinks anyway.  What should we see this time around?  Should I be counting by my LMP or O date ( I dont know FOR SURE what day I Oed), but with my cycles being 31 days the doctor said I should have Oed between days 16-17.  I dont know this all confuses me cause I never had a problem cause I was always 28 days and Oed on CD14.  Please help me!!

Thanks for any comments!!

I'm a little nervous!

BABY DUST TO ALL!!!
to all ttcers I hope you get your BFP's!!
I had an ultrasound last Friday where I was 6 weeks exactally.  The technician said he wanted to try abdominally at first (I have a history of m/c's and he said he wanted to be as conservative as possible) and he was able to see my baby and the heartbeat at 116 BPM.  My dr said she was pleased with that.  I have another this afternoon, hopefully with more good news to report.  I will let you know later what showed up at 7 weeks!  Good Luck!!
That would be great.... please let me know!!!  I am so hoping to see a heartbeat.  But I also know that sometimes you cant see one.  With my DS I had my first u/s at 10W 5D so I got to see alot then.  4 weeks makes a difference.
I saw the geststaional sac and the yolk sac and heard the heartbeat of 115 bpm.
You should be able to see a heartbeat. The baby will look like a little tadpole. You will probably be able to see where the arms & legs are forming. You have probably seen this book, but I have an awesome pregnancy book that shows pics of how big the baby is & looks like week by week until a certain point. It's a great book. I think it's called What to expect week by week or something like that. Good luck to you.
At 6weks 1 day I saw heartbeat of 145 BPM. The tech said that was great but now I hear of other people who have much lower heartrate so I hope mine was not too fast. Hope all goes well & be sure to update ASAP!
I have an u/s on Aug 1st and my LMP was June 24th so I would be around 5 weeks and 1 day. They want to do one because of my previous m/c on May 1st. Would I be able to see a hb at all? My HCG quant was "9" 5 days before I even missed my AF which the nurse said was good. Does this also mean I ovulated really early?
That is kind of early. Don't get scared if you don't see much. My Dr said you really can't see much till 6 weeks.
even with an internal sono being done?
I'm pretty sure. Usually they make you wait until you are 6 weeks  B/C chances are greater that you will see something. Some people see a sac, some a fetal pole, It is hard to say with it being so early. Hopefully you will get to see something,  I just don't want you to freak out if you don't. Make sure you keep us updated! Good Luck!!!!!
The internal sono (vaginal) makes a difference as to what you can see, but the baby's heart doesn't even begin to beat until a certain point in the embryo's development, I think sometime in the fifth week of pregnancy.  So it's not just a matter of seeing what is going on, it's a matter of having something to see.
I just got from today's ultrasound and the baby is measuring perfectly! Yay!  The heart rate went from 116 BPM last Friday to 139 BPM today.  Let us know how your appointment goes!!
Hey girl.. Good luck tomorrow.. I cant wait to hear how everything went ~~~EXTRA STICKY VIBES~~~

wait till you see how tiny your bean is..

GOOD LUCK and e-mail me if you can when you are finished just to let me know how it went..
~Staci
I will def. let you guys know how it goes.  I am trying to stay positive.  Thank you!!  I know he/she is gonna be tiny but I just wanna see something.
During my first pregnancy I had an ultrasound at six weeks counting from LMP.  The baby looked like a jelly bean and there was not a heartbeat yet.  They finally heard it at about 13 weeks.  So don't worry if you do not see it yet.  My ultrasound said that I was smaller than my LMP said but the Dr. told me the best bet is to always go by the LMP date.
I was 6w 4d from O date and we saw the baby, yolk sac and a heart beat. Baby looked like a little blob! I have another one on the 31st, 9w 2d. Good Luck!
It sounds like we are due around the same time. I also saw heartbeat at 6wks 1 day (145BPM) I go on the 29th then I will be 9weeks 2days! I will let you know what we see! When are you due? My last appt. they told me Feb. 27th. Congratulations!!!!
I am about 5 weeks 5 days along and I am having my first U/S on Aug 7th. I am really nervous because we have been trying for about 2 1/2 years and I just don't want anything to go wrong. Last year I had a miscarriage at 4weeks so I am a bit scared...
hi, my wife and i were told that we would not be able to have children... today we went and had our first 6 week scan, it was the most exciting moment in my life. we didnt realy see much just the hart beat which was about half the size of a toothpick... good luck with your scan and i hope that it is as precious for you as it was for us
Thanks to all for the information. My husband and I were trying to conceive for exactly 7 years to the month. During that time we did all the fertility treatment, adopted a beautiful baby girl who is now 3 years old. and what a surprise we got when the doctor who saw me earlier that day at emerg. called and told me that we were pregnant. We have never conceived in all that time so I am really scared. Tomorrow Aug 2 I go for my ultrasound I'm 6w2d and hope that all goes well i just need to see the baby and hear that heartbeat. What a precious gift i thought would never happen. I truly believe that things happen for a reason.
I am scared because most of you saw the heart beat in week 6 and I am 6w3d and had my second u/s and we just saw sac and yolk sac and no heart beat yet. My re didn't expect to and I have to go back in a week anyway, but I got more worried thinking this is a bad sign. Please let me know of others that saw a heart beater later than week 6!
hello i am 5 weeks pregnant and i have only seen the sac and yolk and no heart beat got next scan on 27/12/07. people see heartbeats around different stages.  I askes nurse if ok not to see heartbeatyet as i was VERY WORRIED! she said if any comploications at this early stage of pregnancy they wud say but said everthin as normal.  Don`t worry x
I had an u/s the measured the gestational sac at 5 wks 3 days but that's all we saw was the gest. sac.  However that WAS an abdominal u/s not vaginal....i go back on the 3rd to see if we see more.
Hi, I went for my first vaginal sono today.  I found out I am 6wks and 1 day.  I am a little worried though.  This is my first pregnancy and have no idea what I am looking at.  The doctor would not comment on anything, she just kept saying it's still early.  I have to go back next Tuesday for another one.  They said there should be a heart beat by then.  The sono shows that there is a sac but I'm worried.  I don't see anything inside of it.  I'm sorry if I sound so niave but I'm so lost!!  Is it normal to not see or hear a heart beat yet??  I've tried comparing my sono to other sono's at my stage on the internet but they're all different!  We've been trying for years now and went through fertility treatment (our first one) and I am so scared!! Any advice would help!
Thanks!
Hia, I have just spent the worst week of my life, having been told last week that during a transvaginal ultra sound there was no sign of a baby & that I may have miscarried. However I went for the second scan today & I saw this tiny little blob (!) and heard the fastest little heartbeat i have heard in my life. I just wanted you & all the other expectant mums to know that you shouldnt give up hope, it seems my dates are out by 1 week so I'm only 6 weeks 3 days, so the baby wouldnt have been big enough to see last week and every one is different. Try holding your breath in your next scan, dont know if it makes a difference but it worked for me!! Wishing you lots of luck, my fingers are crossed for you all XXX
This is my story My husband and I got pregnant last march but I miscarried.We just found out again that I'm pregnant I'm soooo scared to miscarry again.I had my first ultrasound and all that we saw was the sac there was blood flow going to it I just want some reassurance that everything is ok and nothing is wrong.

dipsypoo20
i went for my first ultrasound yesterday and the nurse said i was about 6wk3d but all we could see was the sac and now im really worried cos you all have heard heartbeats and things by 6 weeks, should i be worried, she said to come back in abou 2 or 3 weeks for another one.
this is our first baby, I went for my second US yesterday and I was told I am measuring 6w2d when according to my LMP I should be 8w2d. Dr also told me the heartbeat is a little slow- but did not say anything else except told me to go for dating us w/ high risk Dr this week. Naturally, I am very scared. Has anyone else experienced this?

beingpatientNYC
Hi all! I miscaried is February with my first and found out not too long ago that I was pregnant again. I was completely on pins and needles afraid that nothing was going to be on the ultrasound because the first had never developed. I went Friday for the first ultrasound. Some how I think my dates got mixed up because my doc thought that I would be eight weeks but I only measured 6 weeks and a 1 day. Good news is that off to the side of the gestational sac was an embryo with a flickering heartbeat! And I was shown where the yolk sac was too. I thought it was the most amazing thing in the worl. I go back for another this coming Thursday! Congrats to you all!
Rebecca
I am 6 weeks 3 days pregnant.  I went for an u/s today and they couldn't see much, then they did a trans vaginal and I saw a sac and a white blob that was moving like a pulse.  The technician wouldn't tell me anything and stated that prior to performing the u/s.  I hope that everything is o.k. though. This is our second pregnancy but we've been trying for this pregnancy for 3 years.
Hey Losingmymind,

I just wanted to give you some hopeful news as to the progression through my pregnancy.  I went last week, on Thursday (2/5) at 5 weeks 3 days, and there was no fetal pole, just a gestational sack.  Today when I went just 5 days later, there was a baby and a heartbeat.  Things happen very fast so don't worry too much if you don't see anything in the 5th week!  I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope everything goes well for you!
I suggest waiting another week or so before taking another peek.  My OB originally told me I was 7 weeks, just by going off the internal exam and the date of my lmp. However when my fiance and I went in for the ultrasound, we were sadly dissappointed to see not much more than a tiny grey jelly bean sized cirlce. So we went back an entire week later and we saw that my yolk sack had trippled in size and we were able to find the heartbeat! :) so I must have not been as far along as originally expected. Good luck to you all!  This is our first, and we are soooo excited :)
Hey everyone. I'm 6 weeks and 1 day on Thursday, about a week ago, the doctor told me my Hcg level was 255 and said it was low, but everything i look at online says it's alright. I go in for an u/s on thursday and I'm really nervous because I really want this baby to be alright. Does anyone else know what their hcg levels were at 5 weeks or if it's normal, and does anyone have some advice for the first u/s?
I found out very early that i was pregnant, as we have been trying for a while. My doc had me testing my HCG levels every week, and when I had my 4 week test, my HCG was over 4000.  He did say that that was extraordinary, but im not sure if thats what most people would be at?  He said that once you hit between 3000-15000hcg, is when it is CLEAR that you are pregnant..
Just had an ultrasound this morning. I am not sure when I got pregnant cause I don't remember the last or first day of my last period. I had the ultrasound this morning and the tech said I was about 6 wks due to the measurements of the gestational sac. However, they couldn't see a yolk sac, embryo, nor heart beat. The dr. scheduled me for another ultrasound on friday just to be safe. I am just so emotionally drained!!!
i also had an u/s on july 7 09 and i was told i was only 5 1/2 wks.  i should be 6 1/2 to 7 weeks.  i have another u/s scheduled for july 16th.  ps a heart rate was seen at 102 bpm.  i'm still nervous that maybe the fetus stopped growing.   nothing left to do but pray.  i lost a pregnancy last year due to a bleed in th uterin-wall.  this pregnancy was 20 weeks gestation.  
Hey guys, I also had an ultrasound today and was told that I was 6 weeks pregnant. I seen the embryo the sac and Dr. said everthing looked normal, But there was no heartbeat. I am very worried...does anyone have any reassuring information for me?????
for all of you, 6 weeks is usually too early to hear or see a heartbeat.  some are seen by then, and many are not.  look around the internet and you will see many examples.  there should be a yolk sac by 6.5 weeks at the latest though.
I just had my first ultrasound today (6 weeks) there are two sacs. One with yolk sac and big. The other was small, too small to see if there was a yolk sac, yet. No heartbeat, yet. I am hopeful that the bigger one will continue to grow. The nurse told me to expect the other one to "dissolve". I was like Thanks!  I go back in a week!
I had a m/c a few months ago, so I am extremely nervous! anyone, have two sacs and one "dissolve" or vanish?
I had the same thing you had with my first pregnancy.  It's called vanishing twin syndrome.   I had one big baby and the other was small. They are fraternal twins.  The small one actually began to grow and developed a heartbeat, but the heartbeat stopped and it began to vanish at about 8 weeks.

MarchMAMA
im confused, my period is irregular, I had contact on july 13, and august 11, 13, and 15.  when i had my hcg count done on sept 3, it scored 1,360, so that means I am 4-5 weeks pregnant.  Then I had my transvaginal ultrasound on september 14, and it says I am 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant, I am confused, I want to know when i exactly conceived.  pls help.  Thanks.
Hi everyone, I'm so stressed. I'm supposedly suppose to be 7 weeks pregnant today. Have had 2 miscarriages in the past 2 years so I'm very nervous. I've been going in for an u/s every week for the past 3 weeks. Everything looked normal the first and second week but this week which was today at 7 weeks he still can not see the fetus or a heartbeat. I'm so nervous. He said that if we don't see something next week then he's gonna have to do a DNC. Not again.
Could it be my days are off? Maybe I'm less than 7 weeks? Anyone else have this happen to them?
i%2Bam%2B9%2Bweeks%2Band%2B2days%2Bpregnant%2Bexactly...should%2Bmy%2Bhusband%2Band%2Bi%2Bworry%2Babout%2Bhaving%2Bany%2Bsexual%2Brelations%2Bat%2Bthis%2Bearly%2Bage%253F%253F
Well first ill start by saying dont give up , my husband and i have been trying for about 2 yrs we dont have ant children together , i missed carried 2 this year , about 3 weeks ago we found out i was pregnant again , i went for my first ultrasound today 12/21/09 by lmpi should be 6 w6d but today had a transvaginal ultrasound and dr . said i was around 5 w6d but we did hear the babys heartbeat and we also seen the heartbeat , it was the most amazing thing , dr said things look great and we will be repeating another ultrasound in 3 weeks just to see more and measure the baby , stay positive its hard when u have had miscarriages before but every pregnancy is different !
I just want to tell everyone not to give up if you don't see a heartbeat as early as everyone is telling you you should.  Sometimes, the heartbeat cannot be seen until 8 weeks and that does not mean anything is wrong with your baby.  There are so many women on this site who were told that because a heartbeat was not seen at 5 or 6 weeks that they should just go ahead and have a D&C.  Thankfully, I have a wonderful doctor that did not give up on me when we didn't see the heartbeat right away.  Had an ultrasound at 5w1d (saw just gestational sac), 6w1d (saw gestational sac, yolk sac, just the very start of the fetal pole and no heartbeat), and 7w4d performed by the high-risk OB (instantly saw a strong, healthy heartbeat).  That wait between my second and third ultrasound was the longest 10 days of my life.  We had pretty much lost hope.  Turns out, the inexperienced tech that did my second ultrasound mis-measured (she measured me at 6w6d) and I'm just not as far along as originally thought.  The baby is FINE and the high-risk OB gave us the impression that all this worry and stress was silly!!!!! It was just too early to see anything on the earlier u/s's. Moral of the story, don't give up hope if it's pre-8weeks and you haven't seen the heartbeat yet.  If we decide to have a second child, I will not be getting an u/s before 8 weeks.  Just not worth the stress.
I'm 6 weeks pregnant and today I had my first ultrasound and all they saw was the yolk and no hearbeat yet.  Of course that concerned me a little bit, but apparently they thought I was further along initially when they scheduled the ultrasound today, and after reading other posts of some women not seeing a heartbeat on the 6 week ultrasound, that makes me feel better.  My doctor is having me come back in 2 weeks, b/c they said it is still kinda early to see a heartbeat.
The same thing happened to me.  When I went for my first ultrasound there was the sac, but no baby.  I was devated.  They thought that I was 7 weeks but I only measured 5 weeks.  They told me to come back in two weeks to see if there was a baby.  I was in hell for two weeks, but they saw the baby and the heartbeat.  Now I am 25 weeks and this little girl is kicking alot!  My best to you.  
Hugs
Athena
I just had my usltrasound today at 5 weeeks 6 days and we only saw the gestational sac and a little yolk sac.  I am really anxious to have my next U/S on the 21st!  It's nice to hear that quite a few other women saw the same thing as me at this stage.
Based on my lmp I should be 8 weeks. Had my 1st u/s on the 18th and just the gestational sac was seen. I had a m/c a fews months ago so with that concern my doc sent me for hcg testing. I called today my levels were 25934 on Monday and 24191 on wednesday.... I was told they should double daily.... NOW really concerned I have to go back for another hcg check and a 2nd u/s on the 1st. Anyone have a similar issue with their hcg levels? I think that is what makes me the most nervous about m/s againing.
I found out i was pregnant last week i am 17 years old i was on the depo needle but still got caught pre gnant i have had a few pains so i went to the hospital they said i was to early for them to see anything on a scan .i had a scan yesterday i am about 5 and a half weeks pregnent they could see the sac and yolk and nothing else but there was blood around it they think i am going to have a miscarriage my pains have stopped and i have no bleeding when i first went to hospital my HCG level was 1,100 it is now 2,600 but they still think i am going to have a miscarrige i dont want to give up on my baby has this happened to anyone else can anyone give me any hope x
I  went to the emergengy room last night because I was having some cramping for the last few days, i found out I was pregnant two weeks ago. so my husband took me to the hospital and they did and external and internal ultrasound. the doctor didnt say one single word to me during the external so I was freaking out. (stupid doctor) then he said, "oh, well it looks like the sac is only about a centimeter across" I WAS SUPPOSEDLY SUPPOSED TO BE 9WEEKS Along! freaked out again. then he did the internal. saw a heartbeat. i've never seen my husband cry before. i am officially 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant. i was releived to say the very least. dont let doctors scare you. because they certainly try.
I'm so glad everything is OK.  
Hugs
Athena
I am 6 weeks pregnant and have my first us tomorow.  I am so nervous.  I got pregnant usually fertility a year ago and saw two heartbeats at 6 weeks to find that we had lost one at 10 weeks.  This time around it took us four cycles to get pregnant so I am crossing my fingers.  We had at least 3 good follicles.  Any positive stories?
Last wednesday i had a vag. u/s, they measured me 6 weeks and 2 days. I stopped the depo shot almost 2 years ago and only have had one period back in oct of 09. My husband and i predicted me getting pregnant between march 1st and march 6th. the only time we were romantic in a whole month! so i dont understand why they say im 6 weeks. They said there was no heartbeat so scheduled me to come back in less than a week! im so frustrated they are going to try and tell me i miscarried, i have had pretty bad cramps in early pregnancy but nothing abnormal now. no bleeding. What will I ecpect in my next appointment are the doctors just stupid??
They say you are 6 weeks because they add two weeks, so the last time you had a period was actually 6 weeks ago.  They start the week counting from the date of your last period.  Please don't worry, I know it is hard.  You should be able to see the baby on your next visit.  The same thing happened to me.  They didn't see the heartbeat on the first ultrasound.  Waiting was so hard but on my second ultrasound they saw the baby.
Hugs
Athena
Today was my ultrasound and they kept saying i miscarried because there is still no heartbeat, i really dont believe i am 6 weeks(well 7 now) i started birth control what would be 6 weeks ago, i havent had a period since 10/09 and havent since. i havent been spotting..havent cramped in a week. i just dont understand how  they say my baby is dead. she gave me choices of a dnc or take the meds to finish killing it, and i said no, i will go get a second opinion she effing laughed at me. i dont think i will ever go to them again. I think im just going to give it a couple of weeks and if i dont bleed i will go to the local health depo. in my ultrasound i saw the sac and the baby itself, wont big but it was still growing and my hormone levels are still rising. does this sound like a dead baby to you?
I had my first scan on Monday at 5w4d and I very clearly saw the heartbeat.
I would get a second opinion to double check everything out. If the babies dead surely it wouldn't progress further with growth and hcg levels getting higher every 2 days. When I miscarried I started bleeding and I just can't tell you the pain I was in at that moment it happened it was like someone stabbing me. I was upset it happened but this is one of the riskes in the first 3 months. I am pregnant again and having my first ultra sound tomorrow at just 5 weeks but my hcg levels are much higher than normal so progessing good.

I wish everyone the best with their pregnancy, enjoy it as it doen't last forever.
Baby dust to all.............
I'm supposed to be 6w5d and I had my second u/s yesterday and I still couldn't see anything (only an empty sac). My hcg levels are going up normally. The cramps and pain are easing in this past week so I don't have much pain anymore and definitely I'm not bleeding or spotting. I'm trying to not get stressed, this is my first pregnancy and I'm 19. Is it still early to not see anything in the sac??
I am going to 2nd u/s tomorrow. I'm abit worried becos 2 weeks ago I thought I am 5 wks and 3 days base on LMP. But dr cannot see anything from u/s then he told me it is only 4 weeks. So according to him, tomorrow suppose to be 6 wks, i really hope we can see the baby and hear the heartbeat.. cross figure praying
My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Keep me updated.
Hugs
Athena
I am told I am 6wks 4days.  I had an ultrasound 2 days ago the same day I started spotting and just saw the sac and no heartbeat. The ultrasound was not official because I work in a hospital and a friend just did it as a favor.  I had my first doctor's appt yesterday and she did a pelvic exam and gave me a script for an official ultrasound.  I am still bleeding and I dont know if its just in my head but i feel like its getting heavier and now I am having stomach discomfort.  I plan to have another ultrasound tomorrow and also call my doctor to order my hcg levels which she did not on my first prenatal visit.  ugh :(
I found out I was preg on April 16, and had a qaunt blood test on Apr 20th...finally scheduled to have an ultrasound in 2 days but the suspense is killing me, and I just don't "feel" pregnant anymore...  is it possible to miscarry with NO symptoms?  
I am 6 weeks 2 days pregnanat ,i had my transvaginal scan yesterday, doctors could not see anything and they called again for doing ulta sound. I am really worried.
Today i again went to doctor for ultrasound, they could able to see the sac,pole,heart beat!!!
I am exited:)
We went for our U/S and the midwife measured the baby in the screen and told that we were 6 weeks 2 days pregnant. We could see the heart beat as well. The baby was too small for us to identify at first. But we could see it later and the midwife gave us an u/s photo as well. The midwife has called us for another ultrasound in another 3 weeks.
I'm scheduled for my first appt and u/s a week from today - nervous but excited.  It's my first but so far only 7 home pregnancy tests (LOL!) have confirmed it.  Hoping to see the heartbeat....fingers x'd.  I'm also 41 so it's a bit riskier but only took 3 months once we started trying so hopefully that's a good sign.  Holding my breath!
i am 6 weeks and 2 days preg, i went for my first u/s today and i was told by the Dr that the sac is growing abnormal and they could not see anything, i really dont no what they are talking about because the tech was not giving me any information and the Dr that was there only told me little and said that the information will be sent to my OBGYN who will tell me what to do. i really dont no what to do bs this is my 3rd pregnancy, i and my fiance was so happy it happens again after having 2 miscarriage and have  being trying for almost a year now. does anyone have this same problem. also this morning before i went for my u/s i saw some blood while wiping myself, it was not on my underwear it only stained the tissue when i wiped myself, it was brown color blood. knowing that it is normal to have a spot during pregnancy, i am still worry because everyone is different.

when i miscarriage in my last pregnancy i saw a spot of blood, then about 3 days later i was having a sever abdominal cramp, it was so sever that i hardly walk, then few days later i started bleeding heavily which was a miscarriage. all this is making me nervous about this pregnancy. pls pray for me.
My husband and I went in for our first ultrasound at 6 weeks 3 days and we were nervous after our first pregnancy ending in blithed ovum miscarriage. We were even more discouraged and disappointed to only be able to see the gestational sac and possibly the fetal pole. Our OBGYN scheduled for us to come back in a week for a second ultrasound but also discussed what our steps would be if this pregnancy was a repeat of last time. After a stressful week of worrying, we went in for our second ultrasound at 7 weeks 3 days and were amazed to see OUR BABY with a beautiful flickering heartbeat! It is remarkable how much can change in a week! Stay positive, sometimes our precious babies take their time to make their first appearance!
i went in for a ultrasound today at 10:30am and the tried to see threw my stomache and sisnt see anything.... so theydecided to do the probe and once again didnt see anything at all.. well the sonagram lady told me i must have had a misscariage..... so they drew my blood to find out what my levels are but the also made me take a pee test and that sample also said i was pregnate too.. so i go back in two day to go see a diffrent doctor to do a second sonogram and to get my blood work results bck... i think that they did it too earlly because they bassed me being pregnate off of my last period and i hope everything s okaybecause me and my husband are so ready for this baby!!!!
Has anyone else went through ths before???
I had my first early transvaginal u/s last Thurs. due to 3 previous miscarriages and according to the measurements I was 6 wks and some days; however, according to my LMP I was 7 wks 2 days.  The Gestational sac, embryo and yolk sac were seen but the heartbeat was not detected.  I was told by the Dr. that a heartbeat should've been detected by this point and that he was sorry, didn't give me the slightest bit of hope!  I received a call from my OB/GYN shortly after and was told I should wait 2 weeks to see if I miscarry on my own; if not they want to send me for another u/s. After reading the posted comments I can now continue on with some hope since this and the upcoming week have felt and feel like eternity!  Good luck to all who have experienced the pain and agony of not knowing what to expect but wishing for that little miracle to make it through and into your arms:) God bless and you are all in my prayers.
great advice for all expecting mothers: GET OFF THE INTERNET!!!!!!! I had an US done at 6 weeks and only saw the yolk sac, no heartbeat, no fetal pole. After reading this blog i was beside myself with worry...went back at 8 weeks and saw everything including the heartbeat! Your health is too important at this time to stress over what other ppl are saying. take a deep breath....and log off :-) Best of luck! xoxo
my doctor did a transvaginal ultra sound at 5 weeks and could not see baby. she said at 5 weeks my hcg was 4,380 and after 3 days it was 6,000. It did not double. she wants to do an ultrasound next week. I am so worried. Should I be concerned is this normal.
on the 17th i went to the emergency room for a bad cold and they tld me i am pregnant they tried a over the belly ultra sound and a vaginal one and saw nothing immediatly i paniked and it didnt help the nurses were saying i either miscarried or its eptopic they took my blood and my hcg level came back a 522 wich they said is equivelent to somone who is 3 to 5 weeks pregnant because my periods are so abnormal sometimes me not having one for 3 months they could onlyy base it on that they told me to come back in two days to see if it doubled wen i went back on friday it was at 1022 but still nothing so on wend i go for another ultra sound and hopefully i will see something
I had my first ultrasound yesterday and was told that I was 6w 1 day. However the report stated "The placenta is not visible" is this normal??
am 6 weeks pregnant and i had my first U/S yesterday, they found everthing normal but they coudln't find a heart beat...i was told this could be due to it being early to detect one...i panicked of course but after talking to my DR i was a little relieved after she said that my body would detect if the baby was not alive...am being hopeful and pray that everything will be ok...i have another U/S in two weeks, by then  i should be 8 weeks...
i had a test done today to check my HGC levels, that should detect if the pregnancy is still good...at least it will help me with the wait!
Same thing happened to me,  now my baby is here she is 7 months old.  There is hope.  
I have had 3 miscarriages within a year and we are now pregnant again. The first time we saw an empty sac at 9 weeks and I had to have a D&C. The next time I was 5 weeks and it was a shock. Our doctor had assured us that the first one was just bad luck and it wouldn't happen again. With the 3rd pregnancy, I saw the baby's heartbeat at 6 weeks. It was 130, and I was elated. 3 days later we lost the baby. So worried about this pregnancy as we've been through this so many times before. 6 weeks ultrasound is Monday...please pray that THIS time the heartbeat means the baby is healthy and will stick around! I am on daily progesterone injections this time, along with HCG shots twice a week.  
i had a miscarriage 10 months ago. my dr. didnt give me a ultrasound until i was 12 weeks! i was told that the baby had not formed. i just found out that i am pregnant again, and switched doctors. i go for my first ultrasound on tuesday i will be exactaly 6 weeks. i am so nervous that i will miscarry again and that i wont be able to have children. reading all of these post has put me at ease a little knowing that there is women out there who have had miscarriages and then had successfull pregnancies! God bless you all and best of luck!
I had a miscarriage in Jan of 2009 of a Belighted Ovum and that was my first at 19. That messed me up seriously. Well I found out I was pregnant March 29, 2011 and the day before I found out I help my Ma move my Gram. So I then started spotting. I made a prenatal appt but I continued to spot so I went to my doctor on April 1st as a walk in because I was afraid of miscarrying again. She did a ultrasound and told me I was 6 weeks and 1 day but the only thing we saw was the Gestational sac. She told me to come back in a week so I go back on April 7th for my second U/S. My fiance and I are both worried because I lost the first one and we don't want to loose this one. Seriously stressed because the ultrasound looked just like the ultrasound I had in 2008 with the first pregnancy. I hope everything works out like some of the other ladies because I love kids and can't wait to be a mother. This would be my parents first biological grandchild and I would be so excited for them. If this turns bad I'm just gonna feel like I'm not meant to have kids.

*Seriously Worried Mum*
I had a 6 week scan 2 weeks ago and now I've had to have a 8 week scan but there is no heart beat detected.  The nurses said that something has gone wrong in my pregnancy and the was 1cm growth from 2 weeks ago.  She gave me leaflet on what to do I'm in despair and need help and answers.  2 weeks I was admitted to hospital with abdominal pains due to sever constipation And was given oral morphine, tramadol co codamol 50/500 and lots of enima's could this of caused any problems
Hello I am a little worried as I we have been trying for a baby for 2 years we have had lots of fertillity treatment up to clomide that I started taking last month and I found out last monday I'm 6 weeks pregnant yay! So happy but on friday I started to see some brown discharge so I went to the doctors and she checked me over and said it seemed like implantation blood on saturday it seeemed heavier so I went to the hospital where they tool blood and wee sample and came back to tell me my bloodtests were normal and my wee sample showed a strong positive and that it was just old blood and implantation and the back ache and mild cramps I've been having for past 4 days is where my bodys accomidating for the baby but I keep having these bad dreams and these scarey thoughts somethings wrong and I'm gunna lose my baby but my cramps are not severe and the brown discharge only gets heavier when I'm walking around or cleaning then once I'm sat doen it stops, also the cramp is more sharper on my right side can anyone tell me what they think is going on and if they think I'm gunna lose my baby! See I've been through to much and I couldn't bare my baby to be taken from me now I love my baby so much already xx
Hi i am suppose to be 6 3 days i went for a scan they could seen noting and they did a vaginal one still could not see anything she said there looks like something is going on there and 1 of my overys were quite big please help she said i could be to early i dont want this baby to be phantom
opps i meant to say 6 weeks 3 days
Wishing the best for you.  Hugs.  They couldn't see my baby this early either, she is 16 months old now.  There is hope.
Hi AllieCat22 and others!
I had my first ultrasound today because I wasn't sure how far along I am. I don't have a normal menstrual cycle so it's really difficult to know for sure. I measured at 5 weeks 5 days and could see the gestational and yolk sac but that's it. There was no fetal heartbeat. I do not believe this is cause for concern, and everyone needs to stop worrying so much! I'm scheduling another u/s for about 2.5 weeks out. That way I'll be 8 weeks for sure by then, and by that time there should be a fetal pole and heartbeat (from everything I've read and what my doc told me during my last pregnancy which ended in miscarriage). Good luck to you all! I'll let you know what happens at next scan...
In July I went through two weeks of blood tests and scans as at 6-7 weeks pregnant I had an empty sac.  The blood tests showed hormone levels rising but not at the correct level - I then had an incomplete miscarriage - incomplete because the sac was still inside me growing on it's own.  It was the saddest most heartbreaking thing I could imagine seeing it there on the monitor.  I elected for a medical miscarriage which was painful as well as emotional.   I am now 6 weeks 3 days pregnant had my first scan yesterday and was gutted to see empty sac again.  Tomorrow I will go for second lot of blood tests to see if levels are rising but since I started bleeding after my scan yesterday I am not very optimistic.

For those of you who go on to have a healthy baby I wish you every happiness and for the rest of us dealing with the loss - never say never!  

Debbie
I had an ultrasound in the er a few weeks ago and they wouldnt tell me about the baby because there not my doctor but they gave me the results to give to my dr..... it says 1+ fetus. Does anybody know what that means????? Help please its driving me nuts! Thanks
hi.. i had an ultrasound today and my lmp was 09/22 but according to the lady she said i was 6w 2d and i am worried because there was no yolk just a sac.. Now I do have endometriosis and have lost 4 babies already.. What should I do? should I get second opnion? because she also said she wasent trianed to read the u/s she said she thought i would proably lose it but she did say there was a chance that it could be hiding because my lining is really thick.. i just need to know someone else opnion bc im emoitionally worn out from these.
Hi Im 16 Years Old, I Think I May Be Pregnant, But I've Taken 4 HPT And All Came Out Negative. I Have All The Symptoms Such As Frequent Urination, Back Pains, Tiredness, Cravings, ETC. My Boyfriend And I Had Unprotected Sex On The 13th Of August, And I Missed My Period In October, But In November, I Got Something Kind Of Like A Period. It Was Brownish And Reddish In Color, It Was More Than Spotting But Less Than A Period And It Last About 3-4 Days Long. My Parents Do Not Know Yet. I Want To Get An Ultrasound To Make Sure Before I Say Something. Does Anyone Know Where I Could Go To Get A FREE Ultrasound At? I Really Need To Know ASAP.
hi i has a scan done last friday due to a few mild crmps when  went and had ultra sound the nurse did ultra sound and vaginal scan and both only showed a sack and a tiny yolk in the corner nurse also said that the sack wasnt the right shape they then told not to expect good news and sat me in  a room to wait for a mid wife i was alone and very upset so after 45 mins of waiting  i decided i needed to go home i then got a call asking if i could come back in the following friday which is in a few days and alls i can think is im goingto go threw the same upset as before if they tell me that their is nothink still do i get a 2nd opinion as i havent had any bleeding and still feeling extremly sick my docter has signed me off work and i feel awful any comments of experience this is our first we are so excited but i just feel so depressed after first scan i cant be happy antill i no for sure ..HELP.....  xxx
hey  you should o to your docters or a sexual health clinic and have a pee test they normaly tell you then you docter will book you in with mid wife for ultra sound scan xx
I go to have my 6 weeks ultrasound tomorrow. I'm kind of scared. I been having back problem. So confused
Hi all, am terribly scared because 2days ago i went in to the gyno emergency unit because i was spotting and they did a vaginal sono,i was 6weeks 0D but no heart beat just gestational sac and yolk sac seen and foetus measured 3.7mm.The day after the scan i went to work and i ran after the bus only to discover later th bleeding turned realy red bloodlike n was much then was just brownish and at night time blood and later thick brownish,my breast are no longer sore or painful lik they were 3weeks ago.......Am realy scared,cos they said my ovaries are polycystic,i want to have this baby,i have prayed but i just cant sleep and it my birthday today but i cant find peace to be happy,pls  any suggestions?
sorry to hear this, women has so much to go through, this is my first pregnancy and I'm am so paranoid about every thing, 6W 2D and it's like every time I pee then wipe I'm always staring at the toilet paper...I want to stop doing it but it's a constant thing, I hope all went well and that you will have this baby! Keep Praying!
i was told the more movement from the baby at any size creates a higher hb if that helps.  I haven't had an ultrasound where I see a baby yet.  Just a gestational sac.  I have another on thursday when I should be about 7 weeks gestation.  With dd, I saw a heartbeat at 7 weeks.  This is my third.  
hi,  what happened when you viisited the doc second time for Ultra sound.  i have a similar case.  please help me. you cn e-mail me at ***@****
I'm 6.3 weeks & I was told that there was noheartbeat or pole seen on ultrasound. & thatt it might be an ectopic pregnancy. I'm worring my self to death..I found all this out at the ER I dnt have an Obgyn yet. & I'm sure the refferal will take a week or more & I dnt have time for that so Monday I plan to go to another emergency room because my stomach cramps have gotten worse since I found all this out. Good luck to you & if your in any pain go to the ER.
I'm 6.3 weeks & I was told that there was no heartbeat or pole seen on ultrasound. & that it might be an ectopic pregnancy. I'm worring my self to death..I found all this out at the ER I dnt have an Obgyn yet. & I'm sure the refferal will take a week or more & I dnt have time for that so Monday I plan to go to another emergency room because my stomach cramps have gotten worse since I found all this out. Good luck to you & if your in any pain go to the ER.
hello ladies, yesterday i went to got a ultrasound and the dr sound they didnt see no heartbeat but im 6wks 5days but they thought i was 8wks and some days going by my last period. thn my dr tell me i can go get a dnc r wait it out. im so nerves because this a bless to b pregnant again.. i have another ultrasound appt next wk but im thinking about not going... im so tired of one min everything isnt ok thn next everything is ok... im praying every min tht i go full term!
Heey there pearl451
Basically I love the way you explain things
Well my question goes to you (lol, not gassing anyone up or anything) you see me and my boyfriend had an intercourse around 2month ago, around that time I just finished my period (also the amount of *** he let inside me didn't come out of my vagina) which is worrying...but I've heard sometime the woman's body can observe some of the sperm! Anyhoo.. If I did become pregnant at that time there's NO way I could have a period right? Well bad news for me as I started bleeding (abnormal and unusually shorter and lighter "period") having thought it was "implantation"bleeding I gave myself some hope and stopped smoking for a few days (oh wells) then later last month I started bleeding again - still shorter but somewhat heavier.
What does this mean?
Please bear in mind that I did have an ultrasound around 17july with no baby showing /or heartbeat!

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanksss x x
I to am going thru the same thing. I am 9 wks 5 days pregnant. I am measuring 6 wks 2 days. Friday I started bleeding. I was light at first, clotted a lot then it became lighter again. I went to the ER, they said I had a 5wk 4day baby inside and having a threatened miscarriage, put me on bedrest and did my hcg count. Went to the doc this pass Monday. They did a vaginal sono and seen the baby and the heartbeat. The ER didn't pick this up. This is my 3rd pregnancy, my others are boys and very healthy. Never expierenced this. I met with my doctor, she said everything looked normal, everything was fine, baby is growing how it should be. They have seen growth each week (found out I was pregnant very early on and have been seeing me weekly). She said the vaginal bleeding is like having a cycle that didnt happen and my hormones are changing rapidly with this baby so they will keep a check on it. My hcg levels continue to increase and everything seems to be fine. The bleeding is an annoyance, and I can't be intimate with my spu. The more I move around the more I bleed. She said it can last from 4 wks of pregnancy to 12wks, slacking off at 10 wks. Does this help you?
I had an vaginal ultrasound at 5 weeks 2days and all they saw was a sac. I went back at 7 weeks and 5 days and I got to see my little blessing and hear the heart beat which was 162. I was really worried because of the first ultrasound but a couple weeks really makes a difference.  Just have faith :)  this is my first and nobody told me What to expect but I'm learning not to freak out at every cramp or spot of bleeding. Every body is different. I wish all u ladies a happy pregnancy and delivery.
I went in for an ultrasound thinking I was 6 weeks 2 days but measured 5 weeks 6 days. Not too much off but we only saw an empty gestational sac. No yolk sac and no fetal pole. I hate to sound like a repeat but has anyone else experienced this and went on to have a normal pregnancy? This is my 5 th pregnancy and I only have 1 child so it's a little alarming. My doctor said the only thing she was worried about was there was no yolk sac yet??? Thanks for any advise
I am having the same problem, and to be honest I am more scared than I have been in my life. With this just being my first pregnancy, I don't really know what to expect. & not to mention My OB isn't the best person in the world, he doesn't really give me any information and says I'm faking my panic attacks. So, obviously he is NOT my OB any longer. Please keep me updated and good luck at your next ultrasound.
I found out I was expecting a few weeks ago I went in last Friday for my first app and according to my last period I should have been 7 weeks. My hcg levels were 2300. My u/s only showed a sack measuring about 4 weeks! I was told to come back in 2 weeks for another u/s. On wen I stared to wipe some brown discharge and was concerned I called my doctor and she said it was ok as long as there was no cramping or red blood. By Sunday it was now coming out on my panties so I went to the ER. I have had some mild cramping nothing really bad. My hcg levels had gone to 5300 one week and 2 days later the u/s showed a sack and yolk sack measuring 5 weeks one day. But the ER doctor still send me home with the diagnosis of threatened abortion. He did not explain much he said everything was on track but we would have to wait and see and to follow up with my ob tomorrow! I am so scared and upset. Is this normal are my levels ok and at 5 weeks one day is it only a yolk sac you see?
My LMP was 6th sept,I had my first   U/U/S today and my dr said no fetal pole but endometrial reaction is present and uterus is bulky. He later placed me on cyclogest pessary for 2wks,I'm so confused how many wks I'm preg,dr said I should see him in 1wk again
my daughter is 5 to 6 weeks preg but on ultra sound theres no heart beat only a sac is there somthing wrong?
I'm 6 weeks and 2 days frm LMP and I had an u/s done today. Acc to that I am 5 week 5 days. We could see a gestational sac and pole but no heartbeat was seen. Also corpus leuteum is not seen. So they hve suggested susten 200 to me. I'm very much worried..plz anyone advice!
I know this post is old, but I just want to say thank you for posting.  I went for an ultrasound (5weeks) and they couldn't see anything but the sac.  I go back in ten days time and I am worried sick.  I'm hoping the dates are off and when I go back we will see something!  Reading your post brings me hope.  Thank you!
yes ..it did hapened to me...i went there with severe bleeding and blood cloths the size of a chiken breast...the Er tested my hcg and it was 8895 they told me it was good and that some women bleed alot and it has nothing to do with baby...the next day i was sent for US and there thry told me that i MC 4 weeks ago as t5hey canot see the baby but just the sac...4 weeks ago was the only time i had sex and i told them they dont make sense :P..they sent me back to ER...Er told me there was alot of blood inside my uterus and that i probably miscarry but they will test hcg again tomorow..next HCG 13662 at less than 48 hours. Er was surprised and told me they send me for another US next week and that i still have a chance. i am sure baby is fine so don't worry about it i am sure yours is too ...this will be my third child and i had lots of bleeding with my first too up to 6 months pregnant and once with my second at 25 weeks. the fact that your hcg doubles every 48 hours wen is still low and almost double wen is higher is a great sign baby is ok otherwise he would not produce the hormone :)