Maternal & Child Community
6 month old shaking head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

6 month old shaking head

Hello!  My adorable little 6 month old DD started shaking her head back and forth in the past week or so.  I know that my DS did that when he has fluid in his ears... it was usually a sign that an ear infection was around the corner.
Is there any other reason that an infant would shake her head back and forth?  (besides that she is brilliant and is just telling us "NO!NO!NO!" ...  LOL)  She does is every now and then (several times a day) for a few seconds at a time. Last night after her bath she did it for a good few minutes, which made me think she might have water in her ears.  
If it is just water, is there something that can be done to alleviate the problem? There does not appear to be any drainage, and so far she has no indication of an ear infection (no fever, etc) and is in otherwise excellent spirits.  Her 3yr old brother thnks it is funny and laughs when she does it, which in turn makes her laugh... so maybe it is becomming a habit for the entertainment factor??
She had her 6mos check-up 2 weeks ago and her ears were fine.

Thanks much!
Have no idea, go to the doctors! Thats the best i can say!
What you said about the entertainment could be right.  My son started shaking his head when he was on the change table at about that age and I thought it was cute and did it back to him he is now 15 months and still does it and laughs.  Just keep an eye on her for any other symptoms.
If she hasn't had a cold recently, she might just be doing this for the entertainment factor.  My little one had many ear infections.  And even though they say it is not related, she got an ear infection as she cut each tooth, or with each cold.  She never pulled a lot on her ears when she got infections, but her mood would change.  Her eardrum ruptured a few times and the kid never cried.  I think she just put up with the pain because she had ear infections so often.  Needless to say, she has had tubes in twice, adenoids (adenoids) and tonsils out.  She is 7 now, and has no problems.  If your little one has not had a recent cold, is not cutting a tooth, has no fever, she is probably okay.  If you are still worried, see the pediatrician.
My son does the same thing!! I first saw him doing it when we were watching doodlebops! He shakes his head to the doo doo doo music! He is also 6 months!
I think she just found a new talent, and being that it makes everyone laugh, she likes to do it.As long as she's not having symptoms, like fever and pulling her ears, i would assume she just found a new talent.