MATERNAL & CHILD
COMMUNITY
6 month old shaking her head from side to side alot/should I be concerned?
by sallie05, Apr 08, 2007
My almost seven month old DD has started shaking her head, pretty vigorously at times, from side to side. Kind of like she is saying "no". I am planning on calling the Dr. about his but I was hoping that someone may have seen this in their babies before or know something about it. She tends to do it most often when  she is tired but also I have noticed it when she is playing at times. Its almost like she is trying to shake something out.  On a different note, I am officially out of my TWW, I started spotting yesterday. Oh well maybe next month.
Member Comments (52)
by hu73, Apr 08, 2007
How strange.  I went throught he same thing with my daughter right at the same age!  She was about 5 or 6 months.  I was freaking out!  At first I thought she had something in her ear and was uncomfortable but decided that this was not the case.  When she began to shake her head "NO" more frequently I contacted the Doctor.  He said it was nothing.  It was just something that she was doing and it had no indication of anything harmful.  My first concern was autism as that is all you hear about these days.  She out grew it!  She did it for a few months and just stopped!  She is 16 months now and is perfectly fine.  I read something online about infant shudder syndrome and asked my Doctor about it but he had not heard of this.  The description matched what my daughter was doing and once again, it was described as being completely benign.  Hope this eases your worry somewhat.
by hu73, Apr 08, 2007
Oh, one last thing.  She also tended to do it when she was tired.  After she woke from a nap she was fine.
by Me2mommy2b, Apr 08, 2007
LOL...I posted the same thing a few days ago b/c I read an article in BabyTalk magazine about autism and one mother described her DS doing the same thing and he turned out to be autistic.  I freaked out!!  DD will be 7 mos on the 24th and also does the same thing when tired.  I asked the Dr. and he told me it's really nothing to worry about, it's just something that she learned to do and she'll outgrow it eventually.  So rest easy, your DD is not the only one who finds it lots of fun to do :))))
by sallie05, Apr 08, 2007
Thank you so much, I can rest easier tonight :)
by kellym, Apr 09, 2007
Wow, that's funny. My 6 mo dd was in her excersaucer yesterday and started doing that and I freaked and said I had NEVER seen her do that before. Not vigerously but almost like she was dancing to the music. Sorry you are out of TWW, Im in it right now. Maybe next month for you. I know it's early but I'm dying to test!! LOL
by ange800, Apr 09, 2007
both my girls done it especially in their cot when they are sleepy it looks scarey but they are both good
by nalla, Apr 09, 2007
My son did that for almost a year. (his first year) when he was about to fall asleep. I think it was his way of fighting sleep.
by Oasis73, Mar 13, 2008
Oh, thank God!  My son is 7 mo, and he is going through the same thing right now.  I was so worried about it, that is why I went online to research.  Other than his head shaking when he is tierd, he is a perfectley normal child.  Thank you for sharing your expriences.
by Cheyenne_08, Mar 13, 2008
My son did this...his doc said it was a calming technique