Maternal & Child Community
6 month old shaking her head from side to side alot/should I be concern...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

6 month old shaking her head from side to side alot/should I be concerned?

My almost seven month old DD has started shaking her head, pretty vigorously at times, from side to side. Kind of like she is saying "no". I am planning on calling the Dr. about his but I was hoping that someone may have seen this in their babies before or know something about it. She tends to do it most often when  she is tired but also I have noticed it when she is playing at times. Its almost like she is trying to shake something out.  On a different note, I am officially out of my TWW, I started spotting yesterday. Oh well maybe next month.
How strange.  I went throught he same thing with my daughter right at the same age!  She was about 5 or 6 months.  I was freaking out!  At first I thought she had something in her ear and was uncomfortable but decided that this was not the case.  When she began to shake her head "NO" more frequently I contacted the Doctor.  He said it was nothing.  It was just something that she was doing and it had no indication of anything harmful.  My first concern was autism as that is all you hear about these days.  She out grew it!  She did it for a few months and just stopped!  She is 16 months now and is perfectly fine.  I read something online about infant shudder syndrome and asked my Doctor about it but he had not heard of this.  The description matched what my daughter was doing and once again, it was described as being completely benign.  Hope this eases your worry somewhat.
Oh, one last thing.  She also tended to do it when she was tired.  After she woke from a nap she was fine.
LOL...I posted the same thing a few days ago b/c I read an article in BabyTalk magazine about autism and one mother described her DS doing the same thing and he turned out to be autistic.  I freaked out!!  DD will be 7 mos on the 24th and also does the same thing when tired.  I asked the Dr. and he told me it's really nothing to worry about, it's just something that she learned to do and she'll outgrow it eventually.  So rest easy, your DD is not the only one who finds it lots of fun to do :))))
Thank you so much, I can rest easier tonight :)
My son did that for almost a year. (his first year) when he was about to fall asleep. I think it was his way of fighting sleep.
Wow, that's funny. My 6 mo dd was in her excersaucer yesterday and started doing that and I freaked and said I had NEVER seen her do that before. Not vigerously but almost like she was dancing to the music. Sorry you are out of TWW, Im in it right now. Maybe next month for you. I know it's early but I'm dying to test!! LOL
both my girls done it especially in their cot when they are sleepy it looks scarey but they are both good
Oh, thank God!  My son is 7 mo, and he is going through the same thing right now.  I was so worried about it, that is why I went online to research.  Other than his head shaking when he is tierd, he is a perfectley normal child.  Thank you for sharing your expriences.
My son did this...his doc said it was a calming technique
that means shes sleepy. its very normal
My 6 mo old just starting doing it too, glad that it's not something to worry about too much.   BTW, what is TWW?
Don`t worry, very common when they are tired around that age. It is mentioned under "head rolling" in some of those "baby`s first year" books. They kind of rock themselves to sleep to tune out other stimulation that way. My son did this and then started banging his head for a while, then rolling his eyes in a pretty scary way but it all subsided around age 1.
TWW is 2 week wait - if I`m not mistaken to see if you conceived or not.
addison does it too, im thinking after a full day i could lay in bed and do the same. who started the giving out chocolate to kids on easter as a tradition????
Yep, Ethan does this too, he has just turned 6 months but has been doing it since 5 months.......he does it a lot when going off to sleep but also does it to be humourous.....he knows it makes us laugh! I really wouldn't worry!

Hayley xx
My son has been doing this also he actually started this when the dr told me to place him on his side to sleep because he was getting a flat spot ,and he had a tight muscle in his neck from favoring one side . And that was around four months. I have been freaking out over it.My husband says it is ok,he has done it during the day a couple of times but mostly when he is tired or is asleep. I also thought this was from his shots, he had a reaction at 2 months. Well this made me feel better. I am still bringing it up to his dr at his check up.
My 5 months old daughter is shaking her head side to side in her sleep. Every night from 3 to 5 am, until she wakes up.... ia this a sign of some problem?
Hello, my baby son has just turned 7 months and he is also having these jerking movements he tends to just rock back and forth for about 10 seconds and his eyes roll in his head. I dont know whether to waste my doctors time or not, cos your know the moment you take him to the doctors he wont actually do it in front of them for them to see! I think they may think I am completely potty!!! Reading all of these comments have reassured me that other children do this as well, so that makes me feel a bit better, and the fact it only lasts for a very short time, makes me think there cant be much going on here. He is such a happy little boy and into absolutely everything, that I think it may be nothing sinister. Any opinions greatly received, thank you
My six-month old son also started shaking his head a few weeks ago, me and my hubby were also a little worried about this, thank God i was able to find this website and find out that a lot of babies at this stage does the same thing :-)
please help as I'm so scared for my 6 month old son right now.  He has been rolling his eyes up into his head and jerking his head, like he loses his neck strength, but only after eating new "people food" (ie cereal, veggies, fruits, all pureed) in the last two weeks.  He's had his 6 month shots and had a fever three days ago accompanied by the flu that's permeated our house for 3 weeks.
I'm trying not to freak out and think it's febrile seizures or anything worse.  He is totally happy and comes out of these eye roll head jerks totally normal and happy.  I call his name while in them and he comes right back..  
My 5 month old just started to do this habit.. But When he looks at me he stops and smiles as if nothings wrong.. He also only does it when he is about to fall asleep.. I guess its fine after reading everyones comments..
It could also be a common sign that your child needs vestibular input.  It is trying to learn to orientate its head in space, so that later on simple tasks like reaching down for something, doing a cartwheel, diving into a swimming pool, or washing one's hair over a basin is not disorientating. Without overstimulating your child, you need to give them vertical, horizontal and rotative inputs, by playing naturally loving games with your child. As a baby being supported all along the spine and neck, you need to rock them slowly from an inverted to upright position.  `if your child is older, wheelbarrow games, making them walk on their hands with their ankles held up, is useful.  Search `vestibular and proprioceptive seeking`' for more
Wow thats so crazy my six month just started doing it last week I was going to make an app but guess its nothing to really worry about.
Guess my daughters behind, hahaha, she's 11 months and it started about a month ago.  I am a little worried about the ear infection thing,  cause yesterday, i noticed the inside of her ear looked red!  Off to the doctor we go!  Shorty239, you shouldn't decide not to take your baby to the doctor based on other people's experiences.  Each situation is independent of that family, and each child, and the reason for your baby doing it might be completely different!  I would at least ask the doc about it at your next check-up, but then again I'm so narrotic, my daughter's doctor gets a whole list of questions!
its a good thing ive read all your posts.. i cant help myself from crying at night whenever my 4mth old daughter vigorously shakes her head from side to side.. we are scheduled to see her pedia next week and i was planning to bring that concern.. but after reading all your posts, im somehow relieved that its quite normal.. but im still planning on asking her pedia... thanks everyone..
I just went on line to research this, thanks for sharing your stories. My 4 month old just started doing this and I was getting ready to call the doctor.  
My twin boys have done this since they were about a year old.  They're now 9 and they still do it, AT THE SAME TIME while they're sleeping.  Very strange.  Whenever we see it happening, we go in and pat them and say, "honey, your shaking your head". Sometimes it helps, but then they do this just before they wake up too.  I'd love to know a trick to help them stop.  
Hello, Helen here. I am so glad I found this thread. My 6 month old son Oliver has been doing this now for about a week, and I have been quite worried. I was also close to calling the Doctor. My friend's son has autism and I just kept wondering if this was the beginning of the head banging that comes with a lot of autistic children.  However, what you have all described seems to make sense. He also does it when he is tired, mostly.  He seems to enjoy it too, which made me wonder if it was something he chooses to do consciously. He wriggles and writhes his body at the same time, so he looks like a little caterpillar going sideways. They do so many strange things don't they?.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It has really helped. I'll just keep an eye on it, but I'm not as worried.
My 6mths old son started to shake his head vigorously yesterday morning n it getting worst by today. He shakes his head when he is lying down or when we were carrying him.He even shake his head when he about to dose off too. He is very active n response well to his name n sound surround him. I still don't know he is shaking his head cos he is enjoying it or he is trying to tell he is tired. I thought of bring him to his doctor but after reading all the post here, i might wan to monitor for few days. Recently, my friend's son was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) so I am very worried when my baby is shaking his head.

Any 1 send their child to pedia?  What does the Pedia advised? Hope to get some feedback. Thanks.
Oh this has made me feel SO much better!  She's been doing it off and on for a while, but has been doing it a lot more the past few days.  She just turned 4 months.  She is doing it only when she's sleepy or just waking up from a nap.  I didn't really put two and two together until I started reading here.  Thank you everyone!
My 6 month old started doing this when he was about 2 months. It wasnt that often and it only happened when he was tired. I figured it was because he fighting his sleep but he starting to do it more often so I started to get a lot more worried about it. I started thinking maybe something was wrong with him. So I figured I would research it and im happy I did or else Id be making an app very soon. thank you all for easing a worried mothers mind.
I've been comforted reading everyones comments about head turning however, Ive noticed the age of most children is between 4-6 months. My daughter is 8 weeks old and just starting doing it at bedtime. Im still concerned as to why she would do this at such an early age. Has anyone had any experience with it before 4 months?
Thanks for posting.  I was hoping i would find something about this. my ten month old does the same thing when he's tired.  Now i can sleep tonight.  Thanks!
Hi there! Yes my 11 week old daughter has been doing this for about 3 or 4 weeks too! She only does it when she is trying to get to sleep. Surprisingly most of the time its only at night and not during her day sleeps. So I guess babies of any age can do this.
Cheers
my 6 month old boy has been occasionally rocking his head similar to the manner described for about a month now. i think it's the orientation thing, trying to adjust to being a sitting/crawling/standing baby, not just lying down all the time. so helpful to hear that many have had the same type of experience with their babes.
hello, im so interested to know about the head shaking of your baby. how long does it last until its gone? did you go to the doctor for a check-up? what did the doctor say?
If you have some information to share please send it to me thru e-mail joseph_aniano***@****

Thank you very much
Omg..I'm so glad I found this blog. As a mother of an 11 year old mentally disabled daughter I was terrified to see my 6 1/2 month old shake her head side to side. It just started around a couple weeks ago when she turned 6 mos. I have noticed she does it when she is tired. I will mention this to the Dr but feel so much better now. So I thank everyone who helped put my mind at ease .
Thank you moms for posting head shaking...I was beginning to worry. My son is 7 mths old &y. at 1st i wasn't sure if it had to do w/him being a premie(1 mth early) or what I'm eating (still nursing), autism or something is wrong... I 1st noticed him doing it when he woke up from a knap but now he is doing it in the car seat (when we are out on errands) & right before sleep time. Sometimes he giggles while he shakes his head vigorously. He has a dr. Appt next wk & as I was making a note about this to ask his dr. I decided to check online ; )  thank you again for your input & comments moms! : )
My daughter will be 11 months in a few days and I also noticed that she has been doing the head shaking.  Her dad and I thought she was actually saying, "no."  I actually was getting a little worried about it even though I did bring it up to her pediatrician.  We were told that it was normal, but this also came from the pediatrician that we are trying to change.  It made me feel a lot better knowing that she is doing normal things at her age.  She also does the eye rolling and blinking her eyes in a strange manner and that is a little scary.  I like the fact that I can come on this site and read others stories and feel more comfortable seeing certain things at different stages of her life.  I have 2 other kids and they didn't do half the things she does and it feels brand new sometimes when raising a child after so many years.
omg my 4 month old son started doing this yesterday
my son just turned 6 weeks monday and he has started that shaking his head like he was saying no. i first thought maybe he has an ear infection..he has a doctor appointment october 5th i will let you guys know what the doctor says..i dont think its nothing to worry about
My 8 month old Caleb was doing the same thing for a month now.. It really got me worried, but thank God that a lot of other moms were experiencing the same thing and is completely normal.. This will definitely help me sleep better tonight. Thanks!
My son turned 6 mos. today and just started doing this vigorous head shake too. He is very tired and I think it was to help himself go to sleep. I thought he was having a seizure at first, so I'm so glad to see all these posts. Thank you!
my younger twin started this same action at age 5 months.  He was premature, the doctor said it was a self soothing mechanism.  But he is 5 years old now and still have this issue with involuntary motions when he is restless or tired.  If I stop him from banging his head on the mattress, his feet starts moving, if I hold his feet, his hands will pick up where his feet left off.  I have always felt as if there is something developmentally wrong with him.  He's not as advance as his twin or other children his age.  But he has some strong skills, He has been able to crawl/run extremely fast, and has been able to beat the drums and maintain beat and hum simultaneously two tunes without thinking about it since age 1 year.  This led me to believe he has some form of autism.  Generally speaking they are very sharp in areas that an average person have to work at.  So continue to do your research and don't be afraid to seek professional help.  That's what I am doing
I'm so relieved. My son is 5 months old and he does the same thing. Especially when he is about to fall asleep.. I was  concerned, being a mother of three this is a first... I guess every baby is unique.
I think you should consider taking Your baby to the Doctor or clinic.
I would surely have your baby tested for autism and checked out thouroughly by a pediatrician.  I know that it's such a scary thought that could even be a possibility for you loved little one or mine or anyone's precious little baby, BUT better to live life to the fullest and give your child all the healing and therapeutic interventions possible from an early age on to give them a better chance at dealing with it than to come on the internet and accept strangers diagnosis as fact for your child because you want to live in denial and not face the possibilities .
hello my nine month old began NODDING his head every 10 seconds and stops this morning. could  it be something normal or should i be worried cause im freaking out.
me too i was freaking out, i thought he had vision promblems or was just to be blunt, somewhat mentally unsettled ! Thankyou for the helpful comments, same, he does it mainly when hes ready for nap. But once in a while he does it while he plays and he started it two months ago, hes eight months now. :) thankyou ladies!
I wonder as this was many years back.. How are the kids all doing..
did anybody figure out a shot relation? My son did it... DTAP was his reason..
My life is so much fun now.. UGH!!!
my son hasnt had any shots as of yet as i wanted to wait a while, but he also just started the head shaking n is 6mnths old, so i think it is normal but i also think u should check it out just incase ther are acompanying symptoms that u havent noticed, im takin my boy next week to c his doc so wil let u no wat was said. what is DTAP? x
and thankS for sharin every1, was a lil worried, as u would be x
ok im tired n jus realised dtap the vaccine ! was tryina figur out an illness! must go to bed mayb i should follow suit n shake my head to rock my weary overactive brain to sleep x