6 month old with pneumonia
My 6 month old was just diagnosed with pneumonia today! Anyone have any experience with this? He's so young to be so sick already. I feel very sad for him and VERY guilty. You see, I returned to work at a daycare part time and he's been coming with me. I knew there was a chance he would get sick. But I thought maybe a cold, not PNEUMONIA!! Needless to say, I won't be going back to work. It's not worth him getting sick. Anyway, has anyone ever dealt with a baby so young getting pneumonia? Any tips would be great. Thank you, and I hope all your little ones are healthy and happy.
bm1
Hi there, I have a 5 month old son and about 2 weeks ago, he was diagnosed with para-influenza 3..(Cold Virus). It seemed worse than that, but the best advise I can give is to keep him well hydrated..even though  he may not drink as much, and if he is congested..keep his body elevated up while he sleeps. I hate for babies that small to get sick because they are so little and they can't fight infection that well. Try giving him the smallest dose of Tylenol Infant Drops if he has a fever. I hope he feels better.. Good luck with him.
Tasha
Use a humidifier, and put Vicks vapor cream on his chest. Infant saline drops are great for nasal congestion. Put 2 drops in each nostril, wait 2-3 minutes, and use the nasal aspirator to suck out the snot. You can also lay him across your lap, and pat his back  for 5-10 minutes at a time. This will loosen mucus, and may cause him to cough a lot though, so be prepared for that. If he has trouble breathing, dont hesitate to take him to the ER. You can also ask for a nebulizer to do home breathing treatments. Is it viral, or bacterial? Did they give him antibiotics? There are infant cough syrups, but otc they don't give dosing info for such young babies. You'll have to ask his pediatrician. Don't hate yourself for him getting sick. You couldn't have known. It is probably best if you keep him away from other kids for a least 1-2 months after he gets better though. Pneumonia is very hard on a baby, and it will take his immune system a while to recover. He wil most likely not have any lingering problems though. Make sure he drinks all his formula or breastmilk to stay well hydrated. He may refuse food, assuming he usually eats cereal or baby food.
wow. you really know your stuff. yes they gave him augmentin. i don't know if it is viral of bacterial. do you know what the difference is?
Viral, you just have to wait for it to go away on it's own, and can only treat the symptoms. Bacterial, you get antibiotics and he should begin to feel a little better within a few days. Bacterial is less common, but eaasier to get rid of. They can sometimes tell from a CBC blood test iff it is viral or bacterial. I your son's case, they may not know for sure, but are giving the antibiotic as a precaution because he is so young. I hope he feels better soon. It's so hard to have a sick baby because it feels like there's nothing you can do. One more thing, if he seems too congested laying down, let him sleep in his swingg, bouncer, or car seat. This will help the mucus not settle in his chest. Good luck.