Maternal & Child Community
6 weeks, two gestational sacs, no heartbeat. Confused.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

My boyfriend and I have been through hell the past few days. This past Thursday, we went in for our first ultrasound and the doctor said there was one gestational sac, but couldn't find the heartbeat. She said the I was either earlier that I thought, or I could be miscarrying. So she set up another appointment for an ultrasound for four days later (today - Monday), and told me if I started to bleed to go to the E.R. Well, Sunday afternoon, I started to bleed and cramp and went to the E.R. The doctor there gave me two ultrasounds (one vaginally, one on the belly) and also took blood. He told me that there were three babies and two sacs. My blood showed that a baby was still growing, so based on that and the ultrasounds he concluded that I was losing two babies but one would be okay. My boyfriend and I were so excited. So, we came to our OB today and got yet another ultrasound (done vaginally) and she found two sacs, and saw one baby but still no heartbeat. She concluded I was miscarrying.

This confuses us immensely, because we don't know who to believe. The OB would be the one to believe, I'm assuming, but not once did she tell me how far along I was or did she do blood test to see if the pregnancy hormone was increasing and what not. We're just really confused and scared and we don't know what to do.

Has anyone been in this situation? What do you think we should do?
Since you have been given a lot of conflicting and confusing information, I'd totally press for another u/s and more blood work. I probably would go with what the OB said, since that is the most recent information you have to go on, however, it would be helpful if you also knew for sure that your numbers were decreasing or increasing and because you are so early on, it would be wise to continue to have more u/s to confirm what your OB believes. All the best...I hope you get good news!