Maternal & Child Community
6 weeks approx and no heartbeat.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

6 weeks approx and no heartbeat.

Hi, I'm new here and hope you can help. I am around 6 weeks pregnant (possibly a little bit more, I was on the pill when I concieved as I missed 2 pills). I have had one previous miscarriage 2 and a half years ago, which was sudden and with lots of pain and heavy bleeding. I started spotting about 3 weeks go and went staright to the hospital, they did a cervical exam which revealed that my cervix was shut, they did a transvaginal scan which revealed a sack but nothing else, they took my blood which had a hormone level of 17000, I was sent home and told to rest and come back for a further blood test 2 days later, the results of this were 20000 so they'd gone up but not doubled. By this time the very light spotting I was experiencing had completely stopped. Then a week later I was told by a doctor during another transvaginal scan that they could see a yolk sack and a foetal pole which didn't look healthy - I asked why but was just told that it didn't. They did another blood test and the results showed an increase to 23,300. I was told to come back in a week. I then decided with my partner's support to get a second opinion at a different hospital, they saw me the next day, I was told that there was a blood clot in my womb which probably caused the bleeding, it was large but not part of the sack. I was given an ultrasound abdominal test this time around and the nurse who was really nice told me that she wasn't sure there was much hope because the foetal pole only measured 3mm. I am going back in 2 days for a final ultrasound and then they will decide what to do next. Has anyone been through anything similar? I feel fine, but very tired, no pain or bleeding. My appetite has increased and I have put on 5 pounds in a week. Please help if you can.  
I think the final ultrasound will tell the tale.  I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I wish I had some helpful words, but I can only tell you to hang in there and see what the next ultrasound shows.

Best of luck,
Peek
Thank you for your kindness.
Your HCG levels are rising, which is a good thing.  After your HCG levels reach pass 1200, it can take up to 3-4 days for the numbers to double.  Sometimes woman don't see a heartbeat until 7 weeks.  I would just wait until your next ultrasound.  SOmeone just posted about not seeing a heartbeat and 6 weeks and went back and week later and was able to see the heartbeat.  I would still have some hope.  Good luck and keep us posted.
I am so sorry you are going through this...I understand, having just gone through a rollercoaster week myself, with happy ending, so hang in there.

Maybe this will help:  I went for sono at what we thought/think is 6 weeks last Thursday.  No heartbeat, although gestational and yolk sack both there.  My progesterone levels had dropped too.  I was apoplectic.  Went back for more blood tests on Saturday.  When the nurse called with the results, she told me that my HCG should have been at 44,000, not 9400 and that HCG had not been rising appropriately.  Said it didn't look good.  

We retuned for another sonogram this morning prepared for the worst - heartbeat of 85 bpm.  Growth between last week and today was on target as well.  All I can figure is that I'm not as far along as I thought.

My cousin didn't hear a heartbeat until 8 weeks.  A friend's sister didn't hear until week 7.

Hang in there sweetie - give it time.  

Peace,
Laura
Thank you so much for your kind words everyone, I am out of my mind with worry, which I guess is a pointless emotion really as there is nothing I can do to make it a happy ending or not. I have the scan tomorrow, please keep praying for me and keep your fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again. xx
I know what you're going through - please let us know how it goes.  

Laura
Hello, as promised I am hear to let you know what happened. Sadly today I found out that the Foetal pole had actually shrunk by 1mm and there was still no heatbeat. I was diagoned with a silent miscarraige (miscarriage). My partner and I are gutted and sad beyond words but trying to stay strong. I am going to be going for medical management a week today. We want to move on together and hope that the next time we try it will be a happy occasion, I have a lot of hope that it will be. Thanks again for all your kindness and support through what has been an incredibly hard time. Take care all. xx