Maternal & Child Community
6 weeks pregnant and bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

6 weeks pregnant and bleeding

i started having a brownish discharge on friday and i just put that down to been normal in pregnancy,but on saturday morning 6am i started to bleed just like a normal peroid really,i had no pain or anything,i have been to hospital and they said to relax and i go for a scan on tuesday,but am still bleeding now,just wondered if anyone has expiericed this and if so could tell me what happened to them,do you think am miscarrying?and do you think my baby might be ok,thanks laura xxx
I can't believe they didn't do an ultrasound at the hospital. They should have not left you to wonder for the rest of the weekend. Sorry to say, but if it's a lot of blood, the chance that it's a mc are kind of high.
I'm sorry to hear that... I started having a pink discharge, then it turned brown, then red like a normal period and I lost my baby at 6 weeks. It was the worst experience in my life. BUT I read that some women bleed and still have a healthy pregnancy. Do you have to change a pad and how often? Instead of sitting at home not knowing what's going on, why don't you go to another hospital or ER and ask for ultra sound? Are you in the UK? In USA they do and US when you bleed. Other than that you could simply stay at home and try to relax waiting for Tuesday. The bad thing is that there's nothing you could do to stop or prevent a m/c. Wish you luck.
At exactly 6 weeks, I sat on the loo and whoosh, out came a lot of bright red blood. We went to the emergency room, where the on-call ob-gyn gave me a pelvic exam, and said there was a lot of blood but the cervix was closed. (I said, "If the cervix is closed, where is the blood coming from?!?!" and he said that by "closed," he meant it was not dilating as if getting ready to give birth.) So, blood = bad, cervix closed = good. Then he commented that if the bleeding had clots in it and my cramping got really painful, that would be a bad sign. They did a blood test to assess HCG, coming back with the number "over 1000," not so useful because a blood test earlier had already told me a count of 1209, but at least it showed I was still pregnant. Then they did a vaginal U/S, and we were able to see the sac, the yolk, and the heartbeat! in the uterus, not in the tube or anything. Learning it was not ectopic and seeing a heartbeat were reassuring.  The U/S technician told me he often sees women who are bleeding in early pregnancy and the baby is still there.  As we were leaving, the doc said that it could still be the beginning of a m/c, so we weren't out of the woods. I called my own doctor in the morning, and the nurse said to stay in bed until 24 hours after the bleeding stopped. She said that for some reason, with IVF (which we had), it is more common than average to have bleeding early in the pregnancy. She said to stay in bed except for meals and the loo, and to KEEP HYDRATED. I did, drinking two quarts of water a day :P and everything calmed down by about 36 hours later.  It has been two more weeks, and no more bleeding.  I think this was triggered by my cleaning the attic and carrying boxes up and down the stairs.  My doc said you can't stop a miscarriage that is determined to happen, but that walking does cause the uterus to contract, and if all that's happening is some of the lining is being shaken loose by some uterine contractions, you can help the situation by bed rest.  Good luck!  :)  Annie
i went to the hospital last night because i am 6 weeks pregnant and on friday i started brown spotting and by sunday it turned red. doctor said after ultra sound and blood work that it was a "threating abortion" . so i guess now it is just a waiting game and the bleeding has not stopped. this does not make me happy but i guess it is very common and one of two things can happen either Miscarraige (miscarriage) or the blood will disolve on is own 50/50 chance. At this point i just want one or the other to happen because i kind of have a bad feeling. does any one else have or had the same thing.
I went to the ER last night..I was spotting pink, then brown blood off and on all week..then I passed a red clot the size of a quarter. No pain though, they gave me ultrasounds, ran blood work and did a pelvic exam. I had a threatened miscarriage, but the baby is fine..I was ordered bed rest until I see my obgyn. It's scary, I thought I was losing the baby for sure..still not out of the woods, but there is definitely hope
I went to the ER the other day for bleeding now pain though they did an ultrasound and said they could see the baby sac and the yolk no embryo yet but its too early im 6 weeks today i didnt bleed for 3 days and now i just went pee and wiped and had some red blood on the tissue i keep going and now there is no red blood but just some small spots of brownish blood im going to the doctor today at 3 i am so paranoid i keep googleing everything about this i miscarried in march so i am extra concerned.....oh man 3 o'clock cant come fast enough
i need HELP!!! i went to the doctor wed night because at about 3 that day i had some brown blood/ discharge coming out of me. i went to the er and got blood work sayin i was 6 weeks and a vaginal ultrasound done. the ultrasound tech. said she figured i was about 4 to 5 weeks and said she could see the sack and the yolk but that i was too early to see the baby and that they had a silent machine so i couldnt here the heartbeat. well today i went to the bathroom and all of a sudden out of the blue (the brown blood had stopped) i poored out red blood and a few clots. i havent had any pain at all and im really worried. it is slowing down some but it is still bleeding and it still looks like some clots. but they are soo tiny that i am wondering if maybe it is just discharge and my ovaries are trying to get rid of whatever they have left. someone please help. this would be my 2nd miscarriage and i really dont think i can handle it. HELP PLEASE!!!