Maternal & Child Community
6 weeks pregnant but no baby found?????????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I found out that I'm pregnant the day after Thanksgiving but I started spotting that following Monday so I went to the E.R. They did the ultra sound and all they could find was the gestational sac, No Baby! I was told that it could just be to early (5 weeks). The following Friday I was back in the ER and they could only see the gestational sac and the yolk, still no baby! Now at six weeks there is still no baby seen and my doctor said it may still be to early but I read and heard that there should already be a heartbeat and they can't even find my baby!!!!!!!!! I really need help to find out what could be going on with me and if there is a possibility of having everything turn out okay after all this time and still no baby!?

Please help, thanks
if they did an abdominal u/s, you more than likely will not see the baby that early.
my doc did a vaginal on me at 9 wks with my son, and he looked no bigger than my pinky nail!...like a teeny tiny peanut.
You are still too early.  When I was 6 wks a couple days before my m.c I had an u.s to rule out a tubular and they saw nothing but the sac and such also.  No baby.  It was too early try to hang in there its still too early!
Have they taken your blood to see what your HCG levels are at?
Are they doing the u/s on your stomach or are they doing a vaginal u/s?  That makes a big difference.  Also, read the post in the question below from ateague.  She had a lot of trouble seeing the baby for a long time and it was just because her doc had lower quality equipment.
There are a few things to look at in your situation and like some of the other girls asked, was this a transvag u/s? Are they checking your hcg? How long is your cycle? I have a 35 day cycle and hence, when I am PG I am usually a week behind. That's why I'm asking because with my last PG we souldnt see a thing a 6 weeks even with a transvag, but the following week we saw the baby. Good luck.
I agree that it is too early (even with a vaginal u/s) to see the heart beat and may be too early to see a baby.  On my last pregnancy, I only saw a sac at 6 weeks and at 8 weeks I saw the baby and heart beat.  Thats why they usually schedule the first checkup visit when you are 8 weeks.  I was told by the OB that you really can't see much before 8 weeks.  I only had a vaginal u/s at 6 weeks because I was having unusual pains.

Try not to worry so much.  Stressing about it only makes it worse. In my first pregnancy, I didn't stress that much because I didn't really know what a pregnancy should be like.  But during the 2nd time around, I worried about everything and anything that was not the same and then I had the m/c.  It may have been a coincidence, but it really didn't help. Good luck to you and happy 9 months!
i had a vag ultrasound at 6 weeks and the baby was clearly visable i had the embryo measured and all my doc even gave me a photo. not that i can see much on there but there is something there. maybe the equipment is not as high tech im from australia so maybe different good luck
Im kinda going though the same thing... Im 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and I just had a ultrasound done and all we saw is the sac. The doctor said she saw a yolk sac but I didn't see that. Im kinda worried since I thought I would see more. I go back in a week for another one.
OMG! I have been coming here for ages and I didnt know there was anyone else from Australia on here!  I am in Queensland!
hi there yeah i sort of thought the same as alot of things on here are hard to work out like needing to stay in a job for a while for medical insurance its weird how things are done different all over the world. im from western australia the other side do you have any kids of your own.
I have a Son, Joshua who just turned 1 a few weeks ago now!  How about you?  I grew up in Tasmania.  I am 22 and have been married for nearly a year.  I find it hard to understand some stuff on here to but the ladies are also very helpful and informed! Thanks Ladies!  How long have you been coming here?
yes its getting very warm here i actually live in the far north of western australia so temps are going over40 degrees a day phew pritty hot .its hard with a baby you cant go outside untill after 7 at night when its cool enough whats the weather were your from like in chicago.
that is sooo cool that you ladies are in australia! i always wanted to take a trip there. how is the weather right now! you ladies are soooo far away from me, i am in chicago, illinois, USA.

sienna
We are just coming into our summer so it is warming up.
DH and I are about to start ttc number 2!  Congratulations on your new pregnancy....you are going to be one busy girl!
hi again yes some of the ladies on here seem to no there stuff and are very helpful ive been coming on here maybe 6 months.I have a 5 and half month old daughter amali and i am pregnant again 11 weeks oooo .I was actually on the mini pill and breast feeding when i fell pregnant hows the odds hey was a pritty big shock at first now where happy. ive been in wa all my life and am also 22.
Hello all... I find myself in the same position as the others.  However I have been having problems since the begining. I conceived 4 weeks ago.  But at 2 weeks I started with abd pain then a few days later with sporring.  I went in for a hi tech transvaginal u/s and they could not see anything but did find something on my ovary (hopefully not the baby) however it took this dr 40 minutes to find my right ovary and then tried to convince me I didn't have one that was why he couldn't find it LOL.  So with saying this.... I don't feel you can see the baby that early.  I am only 4 weeks now and I have an appt next week for my u/s because my dr goes off of you first day of last menses and not the day you conceive.  If I go by his date I am 7 weeks but i know what day I got preggers.  Anyway... I hope all is well.  My hcg levels have been quite high although he says they are normal.  Last friday they were 15,420 and on monday (3wks 3dys) they were at 51,000.  Anyone have twins?  Was thinking either m/c or twins.
Good evening ladies.  I have a similar question and really need some help!!  I am 6 weeks preggo today.  LMP 10/28, 28 day cycle, OPK+ on cd 13,  Thanksgiving day and 3 days following, cramping, brown/red spotting.  Assumed AF was visiting for the holiday... +++ HPT on cd31 (sooo++ the line came up BRIGHT as  the urine passed over it.  Much brighter than even the test regular line!!)
Okay, go to RE
19dpo(cd33): HCG 4290 P4 26,
20 dpo (cd34) t/v ultrasound showing  one very flat empty sac
21 dpo(cd 35): HCG  6500!!
28 dpo (6weeks from LMP) HCG 40,500!! Vaginal ultrasound showing  1 (no twins)sac a bit more round , but only a dust mite in it, like a pc. of dirt on the screen.  
RE stated that he was very concerned and scheduled me for another t/v ultrasound on Wednesday 12/14
Since the day after Thanksgiving I have had spotting brown, pink and bright red as well as much cramping.  He was also concerned about this.
Ladies, here is my question. Does anyone have anything to add that would help me one way or the other????
We feel like we already know the outcome of this, the really high HCG and nearly empty sac on t/v ultrsound are very conflicting.  Am I headed towards a m/c or is there a glimer of hope???
Thanks for any input good or bad.
i am eight weeks pregnant and having similiar probs.  I had a t/v sonogram last night and they could not find a heartbeat They scheduled me for another one, next weds.  I am so nervous.  I understand what you are going through, all you can do is just keep your spirits high and have faith.
Wow, I can't beleive how common this is. Ive been cramping and spotting/bleeding for a few days. Last night I read the forum on "Weird Feelings" and it was very encourageing to me, ecspecaily the last bit. I thought maybe after all things were okay. But today was awful! I had one of those vaginal ultra sounds, and there was no baby found. So the doctor seemed to give me a realistic point of veiw and not to get my hopes up, but the nurse was telling me that there was still a chance and that the ultrasound didn't mean anything. We won't know until my labs are done. I don't want to get my hopes up! But it's so hard! Well, I know this probably isn't the most encourageing thing, okay, bye
I wish you the best with your labs.  I know its a scary thing to go through.  I am doing this pregnancy thing on my own so i really dont have any support other than myself.  I started with more bleeding and bad cramping and back pain... so I am hoping this is just a phase.  I have not yet had any clots pass so I guess I will see on Monday when they schedule me in to see the dr.
well, i was in the ER last friday, my blood work came back positive for pregnancy, but my hcg level was at 1748..and today i took an at home pregnancy test and the result was negative..does anyone know what this may  be????  the dr. was no help at all
I am six weeks and 3 days occuring to my doctor. i did vagianl u/s and she said that they dont see the sac nor a baby.>should I be worried?
I'm in the same situation you are in.  I am 6 wks 5 days and had vaginal ultrasound today expecting to get good news.  Instead he tells me he cant see a sac nor a baby so he scheduled me for another ultz on monday 2-11-08.  I know how worried you are, I'm loosing sleep over it.  We have to remember that we always tend to think the worse, but we may just as well get some good news.  Please keep us posted on any changes.  Remember that sometimes ovulation can be off and we may just be earlier than we think, and you're definitely not alone.
I had a trans vag u/s at what would be exactly 6 weeks of pregnancy according to my LMP. Doc saw a sac but no baby. He was not concerned about it. This is my fourth pregnancy and though I know every pregnancy is different I can't help but to worry. I have another u/s on Weds. Feb. 13 and I will be exactly 8 weeks. I have hope that the baby will show up with a strong heartbeat. I tend to believe when you have an u/s at the doc's office like me, the equipment is just not as high tech and his machine looks pretty ancient to me. I'm here to tell you that no matter how many times you are pregnant they are all so different and you will always worry about one thing or another. Once I have had my next u/s and everything turns out good I will find something else to worry me for a while. I think it's motherly instinct kicking in.

Have faith in God's plan and everything will be just fine.
dont panic and worry,
same thing happend to me, they thought i was 6 weeks and all they could find was the sac, no fluid or anything. i went back 2 weeks later and there was the baby, i just wasnt as far along as they thought.
WOW! i've been online looking at these forums all day...and i mean literally. i am in the same situation and this is my first pregnancy and naturally i've never been more scared then when i was bleeding like a normal period and i just found out that i'm pregnant 2 weeks ago. well saturday the 9th i went to the ER and had a vag/ultrasound done and i thought i was 7 weeks and they couldnt see anything but a sac. i've been driving myself crazy thinking the worst and looking to comfort in other ppl in similar situations that everything turned out fine. im going back for another ultrasound in a week. it just seems like a loooong waiting game. im not to fond of it thats for sure.
im hoping that im earlier then i think i am.
i was aprox. 8-9 weeks when i had my first u/s done (at the er) and at first all we saw were the two sacs. but the doctor moved the wandy thing around and we were able to see each individual baby. they weren't really big maybe a little smaller then a peanut...but did see the hearts beating and them movin around on the screen.
yea i just got news back today that i lost the baby :'(
hardest thing that i ever had to hear but it just wasnt meant to be i guess. my fiance's mother went through 3 miscarriages so shes been a bit of a help for me. anyways we might try for a little one this time. the last one wasnt planned at all. im 20 and in college so there is lots of time but going through this experience has made me so excited and the family excepted it, so now that im prepared for it and know everything would be ok we are going to try this time. its just knowing that this happened scares me that it could happened again!
Hi, my name is Elisha and I am 6 weeks pregnant. I went to my obgyn  yesterday and she did a vaginal ultra sound where we found a baby and a heartbeat that she said was beating at a normal rate. The doctor then told me afterwards she didn't think the embryo had gone through implantation yet (which normally happens within 10 days from conception). She used the term "threatened miscarriage". I have to go back in 2 weeks for another vaginal ultra sound. Is there a chance that because I am so early and most babies can't be seen on u.s. yet, that I might still have a full term pregnancy? Any thoughts appreciated. I'm worried because I saw the baby and the heartbeat, wondering if implantation never occured how my baby could still be alive.  
I am 9 and 1/2 weeks and they couldnt find my baby on a regular ultrasound or a vaginal one. They told me that the baby probably hadnt developed, only the placenta. I get the results from my hcg levels back in about 4 or 5 days and I am so nervous. I was so excited.
I am 5 weeks per conception date and 6 weeks per doctor.  I had a vaginal u/s and doc saw the sac but no munchkin.  This would be my 3rd pregnancy.  I have to go get lab work done.  hope everything is OK.  I'll find out next Thursday.  
Since I looked at this thread repeatedly over the past week, I wanted to share my "story" in case it helps anyone else who surfs on here.  

I went for my first prenatal visit a week ago.  Based on my dates, I was told I was 6w 1d.  Because I'd been having some spotting (bright red spotting to be exact), the OB ordered an ultrasound.  The ultrasound showed a sac, but no baby.  I had bloodwork done, and my hormone levels came back "within range."  I was told to come back in a week for another ultrasound.  As you can imagine, it was the longest week of my life!  During that week, I started to feel "good" - i.e., as though my symptoms were going away.  I never had strong symptoms to begin with, but I stopped feeling tired and my breasts stopped feeling sore. Naturally, I expected the worst.  I went back for a follow-up ultrasound, however, and was pleasantly surprised to see a baby, measuring 6w 4d, with a heartbeat of 120 bpm.  

So, to anyone out there who receives bad news and happens upon this site, please know there is still hope that everything is going to be okay!
Hi!  I recently found out that I am pregnant and have been seeing a high risk doctor.  This is my 5th pregnancy, two severely regretted abortions and 3 miscarriages.  My last pregnancy which was about 5yrs ago ended when I had my 2nd ultrasound around 12 weeks and they told me that the babies heart had stopped beating and they ordered a D&C to remove the baby.  I have MTHFR which is known to cause miscarriages.  I have history of DVT (blood clots) and a Pulmonary Embolism in my past and as a result have been ordered to take Coumadin (blood thinner) for the rest of my life.  Also as a result of my clotting disorder I cannot take any form of hormonal birth control so I have had an copper IUD for the past 5yrs since my D&C.  Well 3 months ago I had an abnormal pap smear and discovered I had severe displacea.  As a result they performed a cold knife cone and also removed my IUD.  Well now since I am on no birth control I have come up pregnant,  the doctor is going by my LMP (Dec. 16th)  and says I am around 6 weeks.  Well I know the date of conception (Jan 1st.) which would only make me 3 weeks and 5 days.  I had my first u/s yesterday and all they could see was a sac and what they called a "white spot" on my right ovary.  My doctor is concerned that it is an ectopic pregnancy.  She also immediately stopped my Coumadin and placed me on Lovenox injections.  I have no history of tubal or ovarian problems or damage in the past and I have not experienced any bleeding or pain in this pregnancy, other than some  minor cramping not even as bad as my menstrual cramps.  The doctor has checked my Hcg level which she said was at 15,000 the same day as my u/s and she says that at that Hcg level they should be able to see more than just a sac.  I have no idea what is normal or not normal at this time, but I cant imagine a baby should be visible if I only conceived 25 days ago.  Does anyone know what their Hcg level was at around 4 weeks??  I go back in 2 days for another Hcg level check and exam.  I am so nervous.  I have never wanted anything more than I want this baby now and I am starting to lose faith.  If you believe in prayer please pray for me.  Thank you!
hi im 6 weeks pregnat n im having an u/s on wendsday because last week my dr didnt c any baby recently i had a miscarage at 8 week buy im nurvous cuz they never really saw the baby .... so im really nervous
I just found out that i was almost 7 weeks and had my u/s done yesterday. the u/s tech could only see the sac no baby, i called this morning to get my hcg levels and they are at 49,900. is this normal. they said that it is a blighted ovum but i have been reading the internet stories and sometimes there wrong. should i stop getting my hopes up. should you see a baby by now and should my levels be higher? please help??
hi,im a mother of 2,found out i was preg on aug 10.my last period started on july 13th,think it was a day late.i nev keep track n dont know how long my cycle is.i took many test all pos.started bleeding yesterday,like a light period then spotting.it went back n forth all day with no bad cramping.no bleeding all night then woke up n it started again but very light n pink,did have a small red colt like you'd get with your period.called my doc office n nurse way rude n kind of wutev bout it n said they couldnt do anything.i asked about an exam or blood work n she said wait it out.i wasnt happy,i just wanted to kno if i was going to miscarry.i went to the er,they were very nice.did exam,very lil blood n cervic was closed.then blood work,trans vag n reg u/s.since they believe by my last period i was 6 weeks.saw nothing on the u/s.my blood work only showed hcg at 36,she said way to low for 6 weeks n believes i miscarried.evthing looks clear she said n i shouldnt have much more bleeding.i wish they were wrong,i have no hope that they are wrong.i just dont know where evthing went,nothing came out other then light bleeding.i even laid tp down in toilet b4 using so if anything came out i could take to the doc n nothing.n does anyone know when hcg levels end after miscarriage?i was still having morning sickness when i woke this morning.im so crushed,miscarriage nev crossed my mind until yesterday.my boyfriend is states away seeing family so im alone,good thing i only told few people..thank u 4 listening
Hi I am 6 weeks also and I went to see my obgyn and he did the transvaginal ultrasound and he couldn't see anything at all but a sac, I decided to go to the hospital section of Kaiser and they did the same kind of ultrasound but with a better machine and they found my baby and also showed me the heartbeat which was at 112 per min and they said that was great so just wait until you are at least you are 9 weeks before you should worry
On the 4th of July I took 4 home pregnancy tests and they all came out positive so that following week I went to the doctor and confirmed I was pregnant. I was early 3 wks going on 4. I had my hcg done and the doctor said it was all good a Wk later. I started to spot. It was a different kind of spotting so I went back to the doctors last Wk. They did an u/s and said it looks good. I did more blood work and the doctor said my hcg was off. She didn't explain it... so she said she wanted to scan me. I just started my 6 wks and the doctor said the baby doesn't have a heart beat and isn't really growing :'( ... I am so upset and worked up. I'm scared. I don't want to lose my baby. The doctor said she will give me a week to disattach itself but if not I will need a DNC..... I don't want to hear this... in my heart n my gut feeling is that my baby is OK. This happened to two Ppl I know. The doctor said the same thing and they both had healthy babies. Could it be too early??? Should I wait???? I'm so upset I don't know what I should do. Can any one tell me or give me advice please I beg and pray everything is going to be OK.
i need help

i got the symtoms (symptoms) of pegnant but no baby 3 months now and ive been bleeding every month for 3 days but im nervous that i killed the egg or something is wrong with me pleasee help me
hi my name is shatrice and im having the same problems.important scared this is my 2nd child n im 24 but my little girl is 6.i went to the doctor because i was bleeding they told my to find and obgyn n i did.i been in and out the hospital for like 2 weeks now n they are still not seeing anything.they said my uterus is filling up with fluids but they can't see my baby or hear a heartbeat.they said i can b pregnant in my tubes or i could b having a miscarriage.im really scared i can't sleep i just really wanna no what's going on with me so can somebody tell me something.
I have a 5 month old baby girl and i am pregnant again at 6 weeks and 4 days with my second child. Since i have found out i have been bleeding like a normal period so i went to the E.R for an u/s at that time they found no baby so they did a transvaginal u/s and still no baby. But my levels came back low but said that it could change. So i went for a second opinion and they did the same thing but this time my levels came back high which they said was normal but still found no baby just the sac and the yolk not even a heartbeat which of course has me worried cause now i have no idea what to expect but like my doctor said it could be to early to tell because with my daughter i had my first u/s with her at 7 weeks and 3 days so maybe it is to early to tell.
After reading every bodies posts i find it amazing that there is so many people with similar problems and it feels good knowing that i am  not alone in this.
ok so I was late for my period and I took a pregnancy test that was a very very faint positive. so I took another one that same day and it was positive but showed up faster and more clear then the last. so u took another one that waa also positive. I wasn't feeling good so I went to the doctor and their blood test was negative and by this time I was about eight weeks I think... so because of all the positive pregnancy test they did a ultrasound and could not see anything. no baby, heart beat ex... I have not had a period since 1/14/13. and im not really having any pregnancy symptoms jusg a larger appetite. will someone please help me out? :(
thanks very much for that i really hope all is well with me. i am 6w and 2d and they are seeing a sac but no baby.
Im 5weeks pregnant. I miscarriged in February at 9weeks. My HCG levels are at 100 from 3 days ago But no baby found when i had scan today.ive been bleeding for 6days they told me I could be to early to see or a threatened abortion
Im 6 weeks i  was spotting &, they did an ultrasound &,still no baby  im scared & nervous they said go back in 48 hours for,lab work i hope my baby okay