Maternal & Child Community
6 wks pregnant. Slow heart rate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

6 wks pregnant. Slow heart rate?

Hi, I am 42 and went for an pelvic ultrasound. The tech said I was 6wks pregnant, but that the baby's heart rate was slow?????? Do you think I need to worry?
Thanks for letting me post.
I personally think it is too early to worry. Six weeks is really early, so she may not have been able to get a clear read on the baby's heart rate. When do you go back next? Hopefully you will get to go back within the next couple of weeks and hear that the baby's heartrate is perfect!
Sorry ... I should have pointed out that they had a really difficult time picking up my baby's heartrate at 10 weeks, so 6 weeks definitely seems early.
Do you know what it was?   Mine was only 112 at 6w and they said it was slow.  I'm 21w tommorow and all is well!!!    
Wow, thanks for  responding so quickly, She never told me the rate. I went in to check if I was going through my changes. I was happily surprised but now I am worried.
at six weeks the only real accurate way to read the heart rate is by transvaginal ultrasound. i would not worry to much they were possibly getting alot of interference
hearts that just start beating tend to be slow.  relax.  hopefully you're worrying for nothing.
I wouldn't worry.  My drs refused to check the heart rate on 2 separate visits before 9 weeks.  All they confirmed was there was a hb.

At my 9 week visit....they confirmed hb and rate at 169.  But that was the first they would even measure it due to accuracy at the early stages.
My first baby's heartrate was 93 at 7 weeks. I carried her to term with no problems. I think it is too early to worry.
At 7 weeks, my baby's heartrate was 60 bpm. The doctor told me to go home and wait to m/c. I was devastated. I went home laid in bed for four days and then begged to have another ultra sound and the baby's heart rate was 120 bpm! I am now 20 weeks pregnant and the heart rate is great usually betw 150 and 170 bpm. Don't lose hope. I think that is too early at 6 or 7 weeks to detect an accurate heartrate.
Wow you guys gave me hope. I started to spotung and went in for an ultrasound. The frist one was a normal on top of my belly, then told me that they thought it was not alive. But then we had a Transvagnal and we could see the little heart just a going. WOW But then they tell me that it is low at 111. Wow there went all the hope. So the doc told he didn't know if that meant I was going to lose this baby or not. SO now I am back hoping all is well and that my tiny baby is healthy and growning fast. Thank you so much.

I am 7 week and this is my second.
I am so looking for someone who understand how I feel right now and I'm thinking this is the place! I am 6weeks and today the fetal heart rate was 95. The Dr. didn't seem too encouraged...just said to come back in 2 weeks to see how it looks. I am coming off of 2 miscarraiges in a row at 41/2 and 51/2 weeks. Also he said the baby was measuring between 4-5 weeks but I'm certain about being 6 weeks as I got a positive pregnancy test on Aug. 25. I'm stuck between wanting to have hope but not wanting to get my hopes up just to be devastated. If anyone else has had a successful outcome with a slow heart rate around 6 weeks, please share...I need all the encouragement I can get!
Thanks. snowydragon..how's things going with you?
my baby's HB dropped from 165 to 138, at around 20 weeks, and he's stayed at that the whole time....2 weeks ago it went down to 130, and my dr said 110-170 was good and average.....so if 110 is ok at 32 weeks, i imagine 112 is fine at 6 weeks....whatever you do, don't make any rash decisions, wait and see what happens.....alot of women come on here, and say their dr told them to expect a m/c or to schedule a D&C, yet 2-3 weeks later, after the woman doesnt miscarry, and refuses the D&C, she's got a healthy baby on the way!

good luck, and although a huge surprise, i'm sure everything will be ok!!!

have some bean dust!!!
I was pregnant right after a m/c too and at 6w 1d had a fhr of 89. My beautiful baby boy is almost 4months!
I am six weeks and just had a vaginal ultrasound and the we found out there are twins. The problem is one had a heartrate of 66. The Dr. did not sound optomistic, but said that she has seen the heartrate increase before. She said the heartbeat could not be detected in the other fetus, and since they both measured the same, if they could see the heartbeat in one, they should be able to see it in the other one. She was not optomistic for that one either - but it could just be too early.

I am just off a miscarriage, so it is another long week of waiting until I go back for another ultrasound. I am encouraged by many of your posts, but scared out of my mind that both the little ones will not make it.
I just went today too and had u/s for first time  at 6 weeks 4 days. Twin A 120 hb and Twin B only 109. I had some spotting today too:( I am worried as well that Twin B won't make it....hang in there. I'm waiting with ya!
I am very interested to find out what your status is since your last post here. I am in the same boat as you: I've had 2 miscarriages, at 41/2 weeks and 5/12 weeks and am now pregnant again. I had my first ultrasound today. They  said I'm measuring at 6 weeks pregnant  although I should be 7weeks along. And they found a "slow" heartbeat of 86. I'm concerned that this is very bad.
I went to the doctor today, because I started spotting (red blood) for the second time.  I got a faint positive on Dec 29th.  My LMP was Dec. 3rd and I ovulated on Dec. 18.  They did a vaginal ultrasound today.  I measured 5 wks 6 days, even though I was sure I was 7 wks.  After much searching (and crying on my part) they found a baby and a heart rate.  Heart rate was 74.  I am very worried.  This is my fourth pregnancy.  I only have one living ( yet healthy) child.  All of the others were early miscarriages.  I'm taking Heparin, because I'm Factor 5.  They said the low heart rate could be because the heart JUST started beating today.  I'm praying for a good outcome.  I go back in two weeks for a heart rate check. I would love to hear of any similar situations...
I went into the dr for a vaginal ultrasound and I measured at 6 weeks. The dr told me that the heart rate is slow and baby had a 50/50 chance right now. Reading some of the posts on here and just staying prayerful has given me hope. I have had to learn how to stay positive and not allow negative thoughts to enter my mind. I am scheduled to go back in 2 weeks and check the baby again. Stay positive, and I'm hoping for all the best for your pregnancy as well as mine!
i went for an u/s at 6 weeks and all they saw was a fetal pole to small to see a h/b i came back in 2 weeks at 8weeks and there was my bub with it little hart beating away, there hearts only start to best at 6-7 weeks so they might be .
i ment there hearts only start to beat at 6-7 weeks so they may be iregular! im now 37 weeks pregnant with my little girl and i couldnt evern see her h/b at 6 weeks! just a 2mm fetal pole! i was worried to but all you can do i wate! iv had 3 m/cs and this will be my 1st baby im due to be induced on sunday! so please try not to worry to much x
I've been reading all of your comments and am starting to gain a little hope.  My LMS was on 4/17/09.  I measured 6 weeks and 2 days when I went in for my first ultrasound this monday 6/1.  The doc. told me she had two concerns; one being the heartbeat was slow and the other that I had a bigger blood clot than normal in my uterus.  I go back for another ultrasound on 6/4.  There is a 50/50 chance although she didn't seem optimistic.  She told me she has seen cases like mine pull through and have a full-term pregnancy.  I went home on Monday sobbing thinking I was definitely going to have a miscarriage.  Now, I have some hope and am praying for my baby to pull through.
This is such a god send.. i have just got back from first u/s and the told me the same, i am 5 plus weeks and they said the heart rate is very slow ( although they didnt give me a fuigire ) as i've been having a bit of pain and have had a m/c in jan i have just spent the whole way home in peices, i too have to go back in 2 weeks but i had made my mind up to come home to m/c, but reading all this gives me such hope. I will pray for all of us and i wish you all the best!! x

I just came back from my second ultrasound yesterday and I was told the blood clot has gone down from 3cm to 1.8 which is good news.  However, the hb is still very slow.  I have to go back in next week and am hoping it picks up.  I still have hope.  The doctor couldn't tell me what the hb rate was, but she wasn't encouraging at all.

I hope it turns out that at 6-7 weeks, it really is too early to get an accurate reading and and that it will pick up in the coming weeks.

All the best to us all!

Hi, I had an u/s at 6 weeks and 1 day, and the HR was 109.  The Doc and sonographer said this is "slow" and the normal range was 120-160 but told me that everything looked "normal".  Two days prior to this I had some spotting and cramping.   I had my first OB appt yesterday and the midwife said that since I had some cramping/spotting two days prior to my appt she wanted another u/s done.  So this morning I have to go in again.

it's good to hear women who have had this happen to them without any issues... but I'm still scared :(
I am pregnant as a result of a frozen embryo transfer.  Tomorrow I have an 8 week ultrasound.  I started off a few weeks ago with dismal HCG numbers that were not doubling.  The advice was to have a 6 week ultrasound.  This ultrasound, 2 weeks ago, showed a gestational sac, which measured 5 weeks 2 days, a yolk sac, but no fetal pole.  A follow up scan was done at 7 weeks.  The 7 week ultrasound showed that i measured 6 weeks 2 days with a fetal pole and heartrate of only 74-79.  It doesn't look promising.  I miscarried earlier this year at 10 weeks.  My 7 week ultrasound for that pregnancy showed a fetal heart rate of 104.  I'm 40 years old, and this is my last chance.  My marriage is falling apart, and I'm devestated that I won't have children.  Hope is a deadly drug.  The next 24 hours will be ......brutal.
I hope all turns out well for you!!! You are in my prayers!!!
Had the 8 week ultrasound this morning.  The fetus is still measuring early at 6 weeks 5 days, however, the heart rate went from 74 bpm 8 days ago to 130 bpm today.  Unbelievable!!  I read a case study that shows that very slow hear trates that follow up to be normal at 8 weeks still have a 25% chance of demise before the end of the first trimester.  I have a follow up ultrasound in 2 weeks.  I went from a 90% chance of demise to a 25% chance.  This is good news.  
An update. Had the 10 week ultrasound yesterday.  I was expecting and hoping to see a fetus with a strong heartbeat measuring probably a few days early.  Unfortunately, we saw a fetal pole, not measuring any larger than it did 2 weeks ago, with no heartbeat at all.  If there is any wisdom I can impart on anyone reading this, is that, I have had two pregnancies and two miscarriages in 8 months, and my advice is still, just stay positive.  Its not over until its over.  Every pregnancy is different.  I scoured every bit of information from the internet hoping to gain ...hope when all the signs pointed to "early demise".  Truth is, I'm sitting here, alone, thinking, maybe the doctor got it wrong...maybe the heart wasn't beating during that 5 minute ultrasound and its beating now.  I know its over.  I can accept it.  Good luck to everyone.  What will be will be.
Im suppose to b 9 weeks pregnant, went for a u/s at 6 weeks and the dr told me baby was 5-6 weeks, no heart beat ,i was scheduled to go back in 2 weeks, i went back in 3 weeks , suppose to b 9 weeks now, he did a u/s and saw nothing, no baby, no heart beat, he did a internal and there was a slow h/r of 87bpm at 9 weeks, dr told me that he can see a baby but its still 6 weeks big, he said lets give this pregancy the benefit of the doubt, I Am very heart sore, this will b my 1st, please pray and advise on what i can do ...
i am in the same situation, went for my first ultrasound today they told me i am 5 weeks and 6 days. i asked if everything looked fine cuz i didnt know what i was looking out and what looked normal and what didnt. she said everything looked fine but the babys heart beat was low... i had an etopic pregnancy in 2008 so im extremely nervous its going to happen agian. when i asked what she ment and how can i change that she got up and walked out of the room saying she will see me on friday.... should i be worried? is there anything i can do to help bring the heartbeat up? i wish the doctor didnt leave me with to many un answered questions!!!!
hi, im 6 weeks pregnant, had a scan today as ive been bleeding and some clots. it showed the heart rate was slow and have to wait till next week for another scan. do you think its anything to worry about?
I had an US at 6 weeks 4 days that was 97-99....at 7 weeks 2 days it dropped to 80.....doc said to come back next week.....anyone have a heart rate drop and still come out ok? Bby is still growing right on target not behind at all....doesn't make sense that it is still growing correctly but heart rate slowing down...
i am 6 weeks pregnant and i have my first ultrasound yesterday and the heart rate was only 103 is that too low for being 6 weeks cause my last baby his heart rate was 181 at 6 weeks
Just thought I'd share that at 6 weeks gestational age my baby's heart beat is appearing slow at 56bpm.  Sounds like you are in good shape at 6 weeks and 103 bpm :)  Best of luck!
ok i had an ultrasound and they said i was 6weeks based on my LMP on the ultrasound it said it was one day off there was still no heartrate. they said dont worry come back i went in today now im 8 weeks and 2 days and there was a heart of 79 and it was giving a measurment of 6wks 8days. i asked him what to expect he said i cant tell you nothing at this point there is nothing you can do to change this come back in teo wks im so scared i dont know what to think :(
May 27 I had an u/s everything was how it should be then Monday I went in for another u/s dr said heart rate was slow 58bpm and my progesterone was low. Now I'm taking 2400mg day of progesterone but dr said don't get my hopes up. I've had 5 miscarriages 2 in the past 4 years. Is there hope
I was prego with twins a week ago and had another ultrasound yesterday and my dr told me the same thing....one sac collapsed and other only 60 bpm at 6 weeks...she said youll probably m/c in the next few days...I'd lost all hope till I read your message hopefullmommyof5...thks!
Your comment gives me great hope! I went yesterday for us and they said they calculate me at 8 weeks (I'm sure it's 7) and that the baby's heartrate is low. There is a hemorrhage and they said I will most likely miss carry. I'm devastated but hoping for a Christmas Miracle.
I just read your comment about your baby. I had a mc 4 months ago. I am 7weeks pregnant and today I had my first ultrasound which indicated that my baby heartbeat was low as 90. The measurement of the baby was for 6 weeks instead 7week. Thanks that I read your comment hopefulmommyof5 I think that I can have some hope. I will have and ultrasound in two weeks from now. I hope that you baby developed healthy.  Send me a comment if you can. Thanks
I am pregnant for the first time. I had an u/s yesterday that shows blood clots, fribroids and a baby's heart rate of 91 b/min. Is there hope for me to have this baby? my next u/s is in 2 days.
I'm abt 7 weeks pregnant and the ultra sound said i had a heart beat but its early but the doctor said the results was that i had no heart beat. I'm so scared cuz they want me to back for another hormone level reading in two days .
Abstract
Normal first trimester fetal heart rates rise from an average of 100 beats per minute (bpm) at 5 to 6 weeks to 140 bpm at 8 to 9 weeks.

The heart rates of 65 consecutive first trimester fetuses between 5+ and 8+ weeks were measured to determine whether unusually slow first trimester fetal heartbeats are associated with a poor outcome.

All five pregnancies in which heart rates were below 85 ended in spontaneous miscarriage. This study suggests that first trimester bradycardia, slow heart rate, may be associated with a poor prognosis for the pregnancy.

Embryonic Heart Rate is a Prognostic Factor for Chromosomal Abnormalities.

All I can say is not to feel bad. and  need not to think too much eiher.  Things happen for reason and only for the good reasons.
God bless all.

.
I just went for my third scan in two weeks!! The doctors both said at 6w2d that I will definitely miscarry , my mucus plug fell out at 6w5d and another scan indicated slow fetal heartrate at 86 the lowest 96 the highest . Doctors again say ill miscarry as the fetus is slow to grow . I'm afraid they are right !! Hang in there ladies I wish everyone a safe pregnancy to full term !!!
AnnaMiled,
I had an u/s yesterday, measuring at 6 weeks 2 days and the heart beat was 79 and doctor said it is still a 50/50 chance but after reading all these posts, I am feeling much better and my baby is just slow on growing and that is fine as long as everything is okay.  I go back next Friday for another u/s to determine the outcome.  I'll keep you in my prayers!  
Hi ladies
my name is Damaris I am currently 8 weeks pregnant
I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks 4 days an the doctor told me everything looked good! My babys heartbeat was at 130 bpm
I was very happy to hear my child was doing good!
I went back for a check up at 7 weeks 4 days an they told me my babys heart beat had dropped to 70 bpm! :(
I am ordered to stay on bed rest an go back for a check up in a week!
Is this normal? Will my babys heartbeat go up ?
Will I misscarry?
Sorry for so many questions its my first child an I am really looking foward to being a mom!
All I need is some hope n to k o my bby will be ok !
I am around 6 1/2 weeks pregnant and today during a transvaginal U/S I heard the heart beat, but at only 66 BPM. They told me I will most like miscarry... But I am hoping since the heart was just a flicker (at last weeks ultrasound 4 short days ago, we could only see the flicker not hear the heart beat). Any similar stories, and what happened? Thanks, good luck everyone!