Maternal & Child Community
6month old wont go to sleep at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

6month old wont go to sleep at night

My 6m baby girl just loves to go go go she'll be on the go until she literally falls asleep on her feet or in her dinner!  Last week she fell asleep in the bath!

I don't think i ever get a chance to sit down in the day unless she napping and that's very hard to get her to do. Shes crawling and trying to walk- but when it comes to bedtime she just doesn't want to settle ... we bath her, calm her, i breastfeed her she falls asleep but as soon as i put her down she screams for at least an hour maybe two my husband will rock her to sleep most nights but still she cries cries cries. Once shes asleep around 8 or 9 she still wakes back up around 10.30-11  and is wide awake like she just had an afternoon nap- again it takes a while to rock her to sleep then shes out for the night till 5AM  or so

Why doesn't she want to sleep at bedtime we cant just let her stay up till midnight playing with toys every night we need our sleep too What else can we do  ???
Her routine will change a few times before she settles into the one that you'll be sticking to.  My 8 months old son is a terrible sleeper and needs to be rocked to sleep as well.  He's teething now so he can wake up at 2 am and party like it's 2 pm.  I'm hoping that it'll change b/c it's exhausting me.  I remember DD doing the same thing but her routine changed a few times before we got to where we are now.  All i can say is keep her environment soothing, don't turn on any lights when she's up, don't play with her and keep your voices low if you need to talk.  Good luck and I hope you get some sleep.
I read something interesting today because I am trying to figure out my DD (she sounds a lot like your DD). This article was very insightful about sleeping, sleep patterns, etc: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp
My almost 9m twins have a good sleeping pattern. They wake up at about 7am and scream, laugh, babble the most. They are fully awake at that time of the day. I give change diapers and give formular, then they play again till about 9.30 or 10am and sleep again. I let them sleep when they get tired with playing, sometimes have to tap them gently on the shoulder. They wake up at anytime between 11-12 and eat puree food, we play for a bit and I bathe them. They have formula again and sleep again for 2-3 hrs around 2.30pm. Evening are good, after they wake up they eat and play on the floor. Thats when we read, sing, just hang out. I have to put cusions around the sheets because as I pick up one from being off the sheet the other goes. So instead of me just picking and having them on the sheet I put cusions to help. Give them snack in between. At about 8.30 I give them formular again with cereal and they are in bed fast asleep by 9. I have to rock them (one by one) in my arms, once they are weightless, and I know they are in deap sleep, I put them down. I give them pacifers in bed and it really helps to get them to sleep. They wake up at night but just when tossing and turning, I pat them and they are back to sleep. And the patterns returns the next morning. One of my girls has started teething so sometimes she wants more attention, but they are both not fussy kids.
In the beginning we used to have the light in the bedroom on all night, dr said just have night light. Sometimes I do have to spend more times getting them to sleep, or let them loose on the bed after trying for a while and in a few minutes they are quite, and show signs of wanting to sleep. Dr also suggested to set bed times and the babies will get used to the routine. Even if it seems they are not ready to sleep, keep trying, (it can be frustrating and to be honest I did not keep trying in the beginning) they eventually sleep. When they are in bed, we keep very quite. Even if they open their eyes, we dont say anything, just pat and they sleep.

I always thought I would have a hard time taking care of my girls, but are good girls. My mum says, just wait till they start to crawl (which they are starting) and walk, then its showtime.

waitingwithhope-thanks for the website, it has good info

The advice from a book I get is do the same routine every night. No matter what!  Bath, story, nurse and bed. Whatever suits you. Bedtime it says for a 6 month old should be between 6:30 & 7:30. Sometimes it says they get over stimulated and can't relax. Believe me, I'm having the same issues of a sort. My ds is 6 1/2 mo's, will go to sleep, but wants up every 2 hours. I don't get it. Of course, I give him the boob so he just goes to sleep. I can't do this every day, I'm soooo frustrated. It says that I should let him cry for 10 minutes, yada yada and go in and soothe and start over. I swear, I have a household that I don't want waking up so it's just easier for me to feed him and put him back. It's not even that he's hungry. He eats to sooth and goes back to sleep. I'm at my wit's end myself. I'll have to get the name of the book and let you know! Good luck to us both! Oh, BTW, crawling? walking? My ds was born a  week after yours. He's not quite crawling yet, very close...do you think he's behind?
The advice I've gotten that I am most impressed with is that not only you should do the same routine at night, but also you should have a pretty definite and consistent routine every day too.  Babies like routine and they respond to it.  It makes the evening less like everything has to come to a screeching halt if they know what is happening at any given time in the day and in the night.  I also suggest doing things like chasing her around and keeping her active when she is awake, so she will be tired at night.  Good luck, the Dr. Sears stuff on sleeping is good.
I have come to somewhat of a conclusion that some babies are just a different wired differently and have different personalities because I did everything the same with all my kids and four are GREAT sleepers, were laid back babies and were asleep at night at 7pm and slept 12 hours even from the time they were only a few months old. I am doing the same thing with my DD and she still parties on and on until midnight. I have tried all the tricks, including the cry it out thing but it didn't do much other than work her up more. She has a very consistent schedule during the day and a routine to put her to bed but she still is up and alert and chatting away (and bouncing happily) when she should be sleeping...