Maternal & Child Community
6w 2d - Does an irregular yolk sac mean I will miscarry and why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Over a week ago I went for an u/s at 6w2d, was told that I'd most likely miscarry, but to come back for another u/s after two weeks.  I feel fine but have had cramping on and off that has lasted for 6 weeks, but nor spotting.  

The doctor said my yolk sac was irregular, not round, but offered no other reason why she feels this will not continue successfully.  I'm working in South East Asia and wish there were support systems in place in the country where I live, but going back to North America isn't going to resolve this either.

Has anyone out there experienced this and gone on to have a healthy baby?  P.S.  I am 42 years old, this is my first!    
I had the same scare in the beginning of my pregnancy. I had bleeding and cramping along with the irregular sac at about the same stage of pregnancy you are in now. When I read the ultrasound report it said "given the bleeding, lack of cardiac activity (they couldn't find the heartbeat either) and irregular shape of the yolk sac, fetal demise seems imminent". I freaked! Well, I am now 14 weeks and everything is looking great. My Dr. told me that I am pretty much past the point of worry as far as a miscarriage goes. I really didn't think I would make it this far because I had some really heavy bleeding there for a while. So, even though I haven't had my healty baby yet, he/she is growing beautifully. So I would say that it is very possible to have an irregular yolk sac and thing turn out fine. I truly hope that it does for you.
my sac wasnt round and noone ever told me that was a bad sign.  i am currently 32 weeks along.  hope all goes well for you.
My sac was not round and that was a clue for my doctor that I would miscarry... and I lost my baby at 13 weeks...  I wish you luck!
i am 6 weeks now and i am having the same problem i broke down because i was  told that i am going to miscarry i know have appointments almost everyday to keep track of things we found out at my fourth week that i have a cyst in my left ovary and now i have been bleeding and they said my baby hasnt grown at all and that i have a irregular shaped sac and that i will not be able to continue with the pregnancy i pray every night that ill be able to have this baby but best of luck to you

(Danielle)

e-mail: ***@****
feel free to e-mail me and i can keep you updated on how things go
Hi. Hope everything goes well in the upcomings wks. I know how worrysome it can be. I currently miscarring, and it is very sad. This one would've been my fourth pregnancy and I am 38 yrs old. Anyway try to rest and do not lift anything heavy. Wish you lots and lots of luck. I would like to keep in touch.
im 8 weeks pregnant and i have a simular pregnancy to yours. im 31 yrs old and never had a baby before, but had 2 early misscarriages (both miscarried within a week i found out i was pregnant). this time at 7 weeks i had my first ultrasound. heartrate at 134bpm and the tech said everything looked ok from what she could see so i went home feeling pretty happy. next day my doc calls and says i have a irregular yolk sac that had a thicker than normal wall. i was devistated. i also have a cyst in my ovary 37mm in diameter but i was told many people have them and not to worry unless it grows or bleeds. a couple days later i started to bleed. i was sure i lost my baby. today i went back to get an ultrasound and and was still alive! heartrate at 170bpm 1.63cm for 8 weeks prego. theres still no guarentees that this will be a viable pregnancy since my doc hasnt gotten back to me, but the fact that its still alive is a miracle in itself. i had already finished greiving and accepted the fact that it was dead b/c of everything i read on the internet about irregular yolk sac.

also i hear that early ultrasounds are not reliable. dont quote me on this but i read a few stories... a lot of times things dont look right and they fix themselves up after :o)

anyway, thats my story and i really really wish you luck. i believe in God but im not a super religious person, but i am surrounded by freinds and family who are very religious and they gave me soo much support and many many prayers. and i have to say, i think it made a big difference. so i will keep u in my prayers as well :o) ... i hope and pray everything works out for the both of us.
just an update to whoever may be reading this.... i gave birth to a healthy boy. sure, he did come 3 months early because my water broke at 26 weeks and i developed an infection at 28 weeks so i needed a emergency c-section but i highly doubt any of that had to do with the abnormal yolk sac earlier.. and that is a different topic all together.

they say that there is a high probability of an abnormal outcome if not a misscarriage if the yolk sac is abnormal. the doctor told me that babies who are "abnormal" range from anything as severe as siamese twins to something as simple as a mole or birthmark. my baby ended up with a strawberry patch on his inner palm, nothing to be concerned about at all <3!

hi,im 6 weeks pregnant and had a u/s last week the told me i had an abnormal sac and also looked like there was bleeding in my uterus as well as if the sac is seporating away. i have to wait a week before i have another u/s werry worried.
I had a scan yesterday. according to the doctors I was 8 weeks but i thought this was wrong. I calculated it to be about 6. I went for my scan yesterday and I was told that the yolk sac is faint and the sac has an irregular shape. they told me to prepare for the worst but somtimes things are ok. There was a good heart rate and I could see it well on the screen I measured about 3.1mm. They could also see a pole. and couldn't see any signs of bleeding. I am so worried. I have got to go back in two weeks. but its going to be a long two weeks!! I have some cramping but not really any more than normal. has any one had anything like this happen to them?

I am 6 wks 1 day pregnant as of today. I was spotting for few days and I thought it'll be like my first pregnancy and thought its normal at the beginning of pregnancy. So, I finally decided to go to the doctor yesterday to check. At the beginning of the u/s, my doctor couldn't find my yolk sac my heart felt like it had stopped. Then she finally found it and told me the shape seems odd. It looks flatten and stretched out!  She told me its already set if the pregnancy will last or not. It the pregnancy doesn't last then my bleeding will get worse and eventually I'll miscarry. She ask me to come back next week to do another u/s for further evaluation. I'm so sad and terrified right now! And next week doesn't seem like its getting any closer!!