Maternal & Child Community
7 week old open sore on birthmark on bum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

So my almost 2 month old has a birthmark on her bum and along the side of it has broken open into an ulcer... needless to say it hurt when she would pee or poop and in no time was getting bigger and bigger...I didn’t find too much on the internet about this so that’s why I’m writing this, just in case i can help out another new parent who has to go through this...

So what I’ve learned so far is baby skin is delicate already and this type of birthmark makes it more delicate so for the area that its in is too harsh for it as i have to wipe her bum constantly through the day... So i started out by getting some polysporin ointment and hoped that would create a protected environment that would aid in healing, well it didn’t and it was getting bigger by the day, it seemed like the ointment wouldn’t stick to the wound as it was always wet from being open... so then i started mixing it with some bum cream which did help but whenever i changed her bum it would be wiped off.... i then tried to put a water proof band aid on the area hoping to keep it clean but it didn’t stick well due to the Vaseline id been using for the rest of her bum.... so i was kind of at a stand still so i looked to the internet for anything i could find... i googled "ulcer on birthmark, laceration" ect. any word that could be close to what someone else may use... and i found one that was written really well, she talked about the stress of it all and that they actually ended up changing Drs as her Dr couldn’t tell her  much and when she found a specialist the first thing they said was the ulcer was going to get worse before better and that pain control was the most important part to deal with along with avoiding infection... so this helped me cause i was really worried about it getting bigger.... So anyway this all happened at the start of the long weekend so when Tuesday finally came i headed for my GP for advise... she is young, which means new and also new to the clinic so she was really cautious on how she approached the issue, she listened to what i had learned and agreed with what i was doing, and phoned a dermatologist for their opinion and they said the exact same thing i discussed with my Dr.... she said to boil water to make sure its clean then when the water is cooled then use that to gentility cleanse the area(she had used a cotton ball at the clinic but depending on the area this may not be a good idea so use your judgement), then put some "kids polysporin" (has lidocaine for pain) put a sterile 2x2 and use a band aid to hold in place.... well i did get some 2x2s and could use them but instead I’m just using the band aids on their own... i fold the sticky parts inward so there is only a small amount of stick left so i don’t break down more skin changing it so much, then each time i cleanse the area and change the band aid with some polsysporin.... The band aid doesn’t stick well and that’s fine, it prevents the polysporin from getting wiped off from the band aid and she has stopped screaming every time she pees or poops... which if your dealing with this is awesome! its only been a few days and i cant tell if its worse or better yet but she is more comfortable and as long as i can keep an infections away i can handle this…

So because this is really hard to write when I have a toddler and a 2 month old its taking me a few days to get it posted so I can now update that the sore is bigger, id say its almost the size of a dime and I expect it to get to a dime size as the red area is about that big… Well anyway I went to town the other day and forgot the kids poly at home( not good) BUT I had some of the poly ointment I had been using at the start and there is a huge difference!! She peed and pooped and cried so hard it was heart breaking! So the kids poly is for sure the best thing ever invented!!! You can tell it does numb the area… thank goodness cause a little baby in pain is awful!

Ill add updated posts with any changes and i hope this post helps someone else... if you are dealing with something simular please add any advice that you have learned along the way...
So i went to the Dr the other day and even tho the sore had gotten bigger the Dr thought it was looking pretty good... i said something about it getting to the size of a dime as the red area around the sore was about that size and the sore was growing but the reddend area wasnt so i was hoping that that was where it would stop... the Dr said it would for sure open up as big as the red area....

Well today i was a little heart broken when i noticed the red area around the open area has gotten bigger :( so my hopes of the area not getting as big as the birthmark itself have been deflated... i was really hoping that some how it would just stop where it was at but i guess i should have known better from the few stories ive read online... i just feel so bad for her :( her birthmark is about the diameter of a D battery (with out measuring)
okay so since the last post i have went to the health nurse for her 2 month needles, have been back to the Dr for some good old reasurance that im doing all that i can, and i talked to the pharmacist just about any other options for ointments or creams that i could use that i should talk to my dr about..... well the health nurse talked about another baby who had a ulcerated birthmark and homecare stepped in and did daily dressing changes and got it to heal.... BUT this child was a year old already! thats a huge difference in skin strength and this childs sore was past the birthmark, it had tunnelled in and needed to be packed so cant really compare to my situation (in my opinion anyway) and the health nurse suggested i talk to homecare about it but i would need a referal and blah blah blah so im gonna try to just phone one of them(not durring work hours)  So when i talked to the pharmacist she said the polysporin ointment was as good as anything and the only reason i may need a stronger ointment is if the area becomes infected... and the Dr visit was just a couple days ago.... i really didnt have anything to see her for specifically BUT the area had gotten bigger and i need someone to talk to... its really stressful and hard to deal with. So anyway she said fir what it is it looks really good, the area remains with in the birthmark, its clean, no sign of infection and she thinks maybe the one edge is trying to heal and we talked about how the ulcer has to run its course and that its nothing like pressure ulcers because i keep getting advice that doesnt work for this situation... i work in long term care and bed sores are sooo different but they are really common so people give advice that they would give for that kind and its sooo frustrating cause they dont have a clue! it makes me feel like they think im stupid or something? This type of ulcer is painful, it is breaking open from the bithmark and babies skin is so delicate it cant possibly keep up and is gonna take time to heal....there is no magic dressing that can change that... only time.
Oh and i have since stopped using bandages because the edge was rubbing on her other bum cheek and it was looking pretty sore so i now cut 2x2 gauze pads in half and put that on the area.... it actually stays in place better (i use sterile pads and i washed my scissors with hot soapy water and then boiled them a bit...i bought metal ones... just to be on the safe side, i dont want to risk introducing anything to the area) oh and the polysporin pain for adults is the same thing as the kids..... just FYI but it has an extra antibiotic if you get the ointment(not the cream...cream has 2 jsut like the kids)

But my daughter is awake and i gotta go... sorry for any spelling mistakes....
Is it possible you're going in exactly the wrong direction by keeping the area wet and covered?

It sounds to me like what it needs is to dry.  PLEASE don't take my word on this,  but ask your health care provider if maybe lying her in a very shallow bin of epsom salts to try to dry the area out,  and then clothing her in a long cotton t-shirt with no diaper might be more helpful than keeping the area continuously wet.

Best wishes.
yes its important to give the area some air time, which i do through out the day but its even more important to keep the area clean and protected from pee and poop(shes 2 months so its constant) plus the polysporin ointment has the lidocaine in it and it works great for pain control... the area is on the inner part of the but cheek under her anus so its in direct path of both pee and poop and leaving it exposed too much would be cruel torture for her....plus the ointment protections from infection... When i give her tummy time i leave the diaper off and just put it under to catch anything and her on a towel jsut incase but she doesnt last too long but at least its a pretty safe position(it wouldnt hit the sore) and i do leave her on her back open to air too but usually if she just had a big poo and pee so i know ill be pretty safe cause she scream so hard when its not protected :(

Thanks for saying that as that is really good to point that out for anyone else who may be looking for advice for the same thing...
So just an update... the whole birthmark area has now opened up and it is starting to heal! there is a small area on the one side that is healing really well and i think around all the edges it looks like its trying to! so this is awesome! i am still going through a crazy amout of polysporin but i have started to cut the 2x2s into 2 squares so they are lasting longer which really does make a difference :)  I am really hoping that because her skin is starting to heal that it wont be long before its covered over, i know ill have to protect it still and that it will continue to break open here and there as she grows but this changing her diaper and going through this whole routine is stressful! everytime im scared shes gonna cry and the times that she doesnt are awesome but when she does it seems to take longer to calm her down... sometimes she cries her self to sleep (its like all she can do is shut down) and i try everything and anything to attempt to make her feel better (add more poly, adjust the 2x2, adjust her diaper, change her position, ect) Its sooo stressful! Im so happy that i can see healing and know this is going in the right direction!!!
We are going through the exact same thing!! Our daughter is 5 months old and hers didn't break open until a few weeks ago. Hers is on her butt cheek as well and in a terrible spot. It only hurts her when we are changing her because of wiping. She LOVES being on her tummy so that helps but when you have combination of a teething baby and this, its very hard to know she is in pain and you can't do much about it. Our next doctor appointment is on Halloween so I am anxious for him to see it and get his thoughts. I'm so glad I came across your post. Keep me posted with any new developements!
I am sooo sorry i havent been on here for a while and the last time i tried to log on the site was down for their "check up" time.... i actually have really good news! her bum has been healed over for almost a week now and diaper changes are sooo much better!!! im still concerned that it can open up as she grows and im not sure what exactly that means but right now the area is even getting lighter into that scar tissue color and i hope this is the end of the worst of it!

hopefully the Dr has some good advice to give you, if you have any questions or just need to vent im here! and I normally am on here a lot ive just been sooo busy... my life is getting back to a calm again!