Maternal & Child Community
7 weeks, spotting / bleeding for 7 days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

7 weeks, spotting / bleeding for 7 days

Hey I'm new on to this forum but wanted to see if I could get some input on what to do.

I'm 7 weeks pregnant today and started spotting last Sunday after intercourse, had the stomach flu last Monday, spotted until Thursday, then went in for a scheduled ultrasound exam last Thursday where we were able to hear the heartbeat and see the baby. Nothing appeared to be causing the spotting on the ultrasound, the baby looked great, and even with a physical exam the dr couldn't figure out where the bleeding was coming from.

After the ultrasound / exam on Thursday, I went home and started bleeding heavy with clots. I continued to bleed fresh blood until Saturday when it seemed to subside back to spotting. Today I'm spotting, but the blood seems to be brown.

My question is: should I go in for an exam tomorrow (Monday)? I almost feel like the vaginal ultrasound brought this on.. even though it might have been the stomach flu. Or maybe something else?
Has anyone else had bleeding like this? I don't think I'm miscarrying because the bleeding would be getting worse wouldn't it?
Thanks for any responses
During pregnancy it's common to spot after intercourse/vaginal exams/internal ultrasounds, so the sex could have been causing it after sex.  The vaginal ultrasound could have also caused some spotting. However, fresh blood and clots for days isn't a good sign in early pregnancy. Some women bleed a lot during their early pregnancy and have completely healthy babies, but some women go on to miscarry, so it's 50/50. It could have been a miscarriage because some women only take a day or two to pass a baby, and the bleeding will eventually stop, which could be why you're only spotting brown, it could just be all out by now. Regardless, you should definitely go in for your exam on Monday because if it was a miscarriage you need to make sure everything came out on it's own and no procedure is necessary to remove the rest of the baby. Good luck hun, I hope your bean is okay!
Well I've had no cramping or pain at all... I thought with a miscarriage there would be alot of pain?