Maternal & Child Community
7 weeks 3 days with sac and no fetus or heartbeat very worried please h...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

7 weeks 3 days with sac and no fetus or heartbeat very worried please help

I am 25 and pregnant with my first.  I went to have an u/s on Dec 6th so we could make sure of the dates.  They estimated that I was 7 weeks and 3 days by the size of the sac, but there was no fetus or heartbeat present at that time.  I am now 8 weeks 3 days, and they had me go to have blood taken so they could test my levels and then I have to go and have it taken again on Wensday.  I have never been pregnant before, so I am very scared and worried.  I have not had any cramping or bleeding of any kind.  My doctor said this happens sometimes, but I am worried they just don't want to upset me. Is this normal, has any else had this happen and how did it turn out?  Please let me know.
Thank you Crystal
Did they do a vaginal u/s? When is your next u/s scheduled?
Yes, did you have a transvag u/s because thos early on you may not see everything properly with an abdominal u/s. Unfortunately, it is possible to have a "missed miscarriage" whereby your body does not expel the fetus. I just had one in november with my 2nd pg. The baby's heart stopped beating at around 8.5 weeks but no bleeding so I had a d&c at 10.5 weeks. My hcg even continued to double after every 72 hrs after baby's h/b stopped. You should go to misdiagnosemisscarriage.com to get more info. Very best of luck to you and I hope everything works out for the best.
I just went through what you are going through.  I was 9 weeks and after 2 u/s there was only a sac.  My doctor give me two choose to have a D & C or let my body m/c on it's own.  I was very upset at first but the more I thought about it, I relized that everything happens for a reason and our bodies know when things are not right, and it was not the right time and next time we will have a healthy baby.  Good luck to you.
Thank you all for you responses.  I did have a trans vag u/s at my first u/s.  They have not yet scheduled my next u/s.  The doctor wants to wait to see what my HCG level is on Wensday.  They said my HCG level on Dec 12th was 13,628, which falls in the right range, for how far along I am.  Thank you so very much for your support. Crystal
I had my HCG levels done every week and they still keep going up.  Even the Monday before I had my D & C my level was up.  My body knew I was pregnant but it did not know I only had a sac.  Good luck and I don't know if this will help you feel any better but every things happens for a reason.  Keep us posted.
My HCG also continued to double even after my baby's heart stopped beating. I think at this point another u/s will confirm whether or not your baby's developing; or on the unfortunate flip side, hcg levels that are going down, will indicate a m/c. Keep us posted and good luck.
HI everyone, just got my HCG results back from today.  It did increase but only slightly. It went from 13,628 to 14,746.  So they deceided to scheduled another u/s.  I go back on Dec 22, because they would like me to wait a week to see if anything developes.  Thank you for all you support. I will keep you informed.
I had the very same thing happen to me and it was considered a miscarriage and I had to choose to D&C or let it come out when it wished, which could have been up to 3 months.  I have found sometimes my doctors dont want to face the inevitable and I have to urge them along.  Going through my second invitro and waiting 5 days till first pregnancy test.  in my thoughts.
I just went for a sonogram last night, I am eight weeks pregnant and they could not find a heartbeat.  There was blood in the uteras next to the sac.  I have a sonogram scheduled next week so they can see things a little clearer.  I also have all the signs of a normal pregnancy.  At what point can the baby's heart beat be detected? Has any had this problem?
I am having similar findings. Yesterday I went in for my first 6 wk ultrasound.  I had a miscarrige Nov. 2 at about 4.5 weeks.  I had bad pain in my left side. The U/S said i ovulated on the right.  They couldn't find anything no sac, or no ectopic.  They tested my HCG and were suprised when they showed a rise, but not as much as they should. They suspect 1) miscalculated date 2)miscarrige 3)ectopic.  They are monitoring me every 2 or 3 days.  The pain went away for the most part but they say a complex spot on my left ovary-this is all I can think about.  They are cautioulsy optimistic we miscalculated the dates because of the previous miscarrige-I am not. In fact I am so frightened about the complex spot on my left ovary I almost am afraid to be pregnant until I can have it evaluated more. They don't seem too concerned about, the gave me a list things it could be including "somthing scary".  They at me to trust them and focus on the issue at hand-figuring out the pregnancy thing. I don't see how the spot on my left ovary could be an ectopic when I ovulated on my right unless it is left over from the month prior.  Has anyone had such a finding on the ovary?  They it could even be shadow of my bowel and ultrasound is not a good method of viewing/screening ovaries.  Now I am afraid to be preganant, these mixed feelings are taking a serious toll on me. I go back tomorrow-Luckily the staff is great.
Thank you all so much for taking the time to write me.  You have have helped me so much. I have all of you in my prayers. I will let you all know the outcome of my next u/s. Good luck to all of you with you pregnancy. I will pray for you all.  Crystal
I am going through the EXACT same thing right now. Guesstimation I am around 7 weeks + pregnant. Went in for my first sonogram yesterday and there was a sac, but no fetus. They are monitoring my blood levels, I go in next week for another sonogram..... Keeping fingers crossed I got my dates completely wrong and it's just too early to see anything. This is my frist pregnancy as well.
i had my 1st scan it didnt go well she did and ultrasound probe and an ultrasound their was no yolk sac or fetal pole like in my tummie just 3.5cm intrauterine gestation sac but their was no heartbeat 2 be found. their not sure of my dates even though the scan date showed me as 7 weeks- 4 days. i think i have got my lastdate of my period wrong. but im 100 % sure my dates are correct what are my chances of sumthink showing on the scan on weds 28th if their is still no finding, mynurse told me i could still feel pregnant for along time and not even bleed as of yet i have not had no bleeding or bad pain or cramps of so what are my chances and still be pregnant, if im not or no longer pregnant ho wsoon we we try again

i have found this ona asite as i have the same worrie as u guys

A blighted ovum ( also called an "anembryonic pregnancy") is a fertilized egg which implants in the uterus, and begins to devlop a gestational sac. The fertilized egg, however, fails to form beyond the sixth week and is absorbed back into the uterus. The placenta continues to grow, and the body is usually slow to catch on that the pregnancy is gone. There may be no bleeding to signal a problem; later, the woman may notice a brown discharge. Sometimes a woman will have a loss without ever knowing she was pregnant. Others will discover the pregnancy and all will appear well throughout much if not all of the first trimester. She may not realize she has a blighted ovum until her healthcare provider fails to detect a heartbeat or an ultrasound reveals an empty gestational sac. Since the placental tissue generates the making of pregnancy hormones, many women with a blighted ovum "feel pregnant" but are destined to lose the pregnancy. In past decades, many women miscarried blighted ovum pregnancies without knowing what had happened. Today, however, technology has improved to the point that an ultrasound can examine exactly what is going on inside the womb. Due to this technology, the diagnosis of a Blighted Ovum is becoming more common.

In most liklihood the reason is random chromosomal accident (further research suggests a 4 in 5 chance that the cause is chromosomal in this situation). In some cases, the egg or the sperm may be of poor quality. The age of the parents may contribute to this factor although this diagnosis happens to all ages. Occasionally the cause may be something other than chromosomal, such as low hormone levels. This is rare but in these cases a treatable condition might be the cause. For example, a low hormone level may have caused early termination of the pregnancy. In these cases, hormone pills such as progesterone may work. If repeated blighted ovums occur, artificial fertilization may be an answer. Genetic testing in the case of multiple losses may be advised to rule out genetic problems.

The most common (and hurtful) misconception is that there never was a baby. There was an embryo. There is no way to know how much of the baby formed and when the baby was absorbed. Someone actually suggested to me that my body was confused and that my little one only existed in my mind. Obviously there was something wrong with him or her and that is the reason she stopped forming. To suggest that he or she never existed at all, even for a moment, in my opinion devalues the little life that could have been. It also devalues all of the pain that we feel when we find out that the baby is gone. Just because the little angel is gone by the time the loss is discovered doesn't mean that he or she never was. The body has reacted to the existance of that little one--however brief his or her presence was.

When should the baby be able to be seen by ultrasound, or when should the lack of seeing a baby via transvaginal ultrasound be evidence of a blighted ovum? By the 8th to the 9th week, assuming the pregnancy is dated correctly, the baby/heartbeat should be able to be detected via ultrasound. The gestational sac can be visualized as early as four and a half weeks of gestation and the yolk sac at about five weeks. The embryo can be observed and measured as early as five and a half weeks, via transvaginal ultrasound with a full bladder. Ultrasound can also very importantly confirm the site of the pregnancy is within the cavity of the uterus.

Hormone levels may be monitored in order to check on the pregnancy. Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), is produced during pregnancy, made by cells that form the placenta. They can first be detected by a normal blood test about 11 days after conception and at about 12 - 14 days by a urine test. In general they will double every 72 hours. The levels will reach their peak in the 8 - 11 weeks of pregnancy (the third month) and then will decline and level off for the remainder of the pregnancy. A decline early on might aid in confirming a pregancy loss, such as a blighted ovum.

During my research I read that "most" women in this situation expel (miscarry) the egg without any difficulty right away. It is my personal belief this is not necessarily true, as I have read a large number of posting within discussion boards where a large number of woman have told their story of how they failed to miscarry in the case of a blighted ovum. There are also many others, like me, who began to miscarry toward the end of the first trimester. A D and C might be needed to cleanse the body of the products of pregnancy.

There are many conflicting discussions about the choice of waiting to miscarry, allowing a natural miscarriage, and having a D&C done. I have two RNs in my family, and both disagree as to which is the best way to go. I chose to have a D&C, despite having a natural miscarriage. Once the Doctor told me that they could do another U/s and try to tell if there is still tissue left. She inspected the tissue I had gathered, stated it was not much, and told me that even if an U/s is done, it is still a Doctors best guess as to whether or not there is tissue left so I opted for the D&C with an official diagnosis of "incomplete miscarriage". I am glad I chose this root, as it was both mentally and physically therapeutic--giving me the closure I needed in this situation. It is a personal choice, however, as there are risks with D&C. I was told by my Doctor that in 3% of all operations the uterus lining is perforated by the scalpel and the uterus may then grow together--leaving no cavity in which the baby can grow. The bowels also sit directly above the uterus. It is important to remember, however, that the odds of this happening are very low.

One's mind naturally moves to a point where a woman wonders, "will this happen again?" It has also been reported that a blighted ovum does not increase the risk of future miscarriage. The standard statistics vary, but my research indicates a 80-85% chance that the next pregancy should carry to term. This seems to conflict with the varying stats for miscarriage, which are usually somewhere around 50% of all pregnant women miscarry. One must take into account, however, that many of those who miscarry do not even know they were pregnant--as a miscarriage takes place around the time the individual would usually menstruate. The 80-85% statistical number would then work when used on diagnoses pregnancies--pregnancies lasting long enough to test positive for the pregnancy hormones.

I was told that my life was forever changed by this occurance--and it is true. No one should have to experience the kind of pain that goes with such a loss. One moment there is a world of opportunities, with plans and hopes and dreams. Suddenly, they are all gone. It feels so unfair.

This posting was found by a friend on a medical forum, regarding this diagnosis:

A loss was most likely a chromosomal error if...

The fetus failed very early. For example, blighted ovums are pregnancy failures in which the fetus never develops. These occur before six-and-a-half weeks and about 90 percent of them are chromosomal errors.

A long time goes by between the failure of the fetus and the failure of the pregnancy. For example, let's say you had a blighted ovum but your pregnancy was perceived to be clinically normal at twelve weeks. (The placenta can continue to grow and support itself without a baby for up to two months and, therefore, pregnancy hormone levels will continue to rise.) The fact that a placenta was chugging along without a baby on board speaks for adequacy of the uterine environment and adequacy of placental growth and development.

However, if a heartbeat was documented for your baby at seven weeks and you lose your pregnancy at seven weeks and two days, that starts making it less likely that it's a random wrong chromosome number accident. The shorter the death to loss interval, the more likely it is that other factors contributed to the pregnancy loss.

Thank you for posting that article. I had several people say (unintentionally) insensitive things after I told them I was Dx'd with a blighted ovum at 12 weeks. My SIL, who has suffered a m/c and stillbirth asked me, "So your body still thought it was pregnant, but there was nothing there?" I got in the habit of telling people that it was a m/c, because I didn't want to explain what a blighted ovum was. Thanks again for posting that- I plan to print it out and save it.
It was great to read what you guys wrote.  I was 8 weeks pregnant Tuesday, and I had started spotting Monday. Everyone tried to convince me that it was very common, but I was still concerned.  We had an ultrasound yesterday, and there was a sac, but no yolk sac.  I go back for more hormone blood work tomorrow.  They will probably do a D&C next week.  =(  This was my third pregnancy.  I have a beautiful daughter who will be 6 this month, and my sweet boy just turned 2 in November.  I'm wondering what a D&C will be like.  I know I am blessed, and God has a reason for this.  However, I am still on an emotional roller coaster.  I will definitely ask them about a blighted ovum.  This sounds very much like what I had.  Hopefully, I'll go on to have 2 more children.  I'd like 4!!  Thank you all for sharing your stories.  I know it would have been much worse had I seen a baby and then had to lose it. At least I had never heard the heartbeat, felt it move, or known the gender.
The D&C is not bad at all. You will probably be given general anesthesia. Afterwards, the pain and cramping are ususally not bad. It's the emotional part that's hard, but the physical is pretty easy. Your doc will probably have you come in about 10 days later for a follow-up to make sure everything is okay. Good luck, and I hope you can start ttc again soon.
I believe I had a "Blighted Ovum", I just found out tuesday and the whole pregnancy has been 12 weeks.  I still don't have any bleeding.  Any idea on how long I have to wait? Is this normal?  The doctor will check my hcg on Tuesday.

Even though this pregnancy didn't go the way it should, but I am still thankful to God, because He make me realize how precious each life is.  We are not here by accident.  In the past 3 months of learning how a baby is being formed.  It is amazing!  God is the creator of all!  I will never know why this happen, but I know God is the one who is carrying me through this.  May His comfort be with you all.  Thank you all for posting your sharing and comments, I have been wondering and searching to see if anyone out there is going through the samething as I am.  This is very helpful.  Thank you! Take good care!
I had the same thing happen.   I had a positive pregnancy test on 12/3/05.   This was my first child and in typical fashion, I read all the books, ate all the right foods, etc. etc.   Our first prenatal visit was 1/3/06.   At that time they found three gestational sacs, but no evidence of fetal poles.   By dates, I was 8 weeks and 4 days, but the sacs were only measuring 5-1/2 weeks.   They ordered blood test which came back normal and scheduled me for a f/u US 10 days later.   BM hCG was in the 24,000 range.   Despite some trepidation, my husband and I started to let ourselves get excited (and a little fearful too) at the thought of triplets.   That weekend I started having brownish bleeding that seemed to wax and wan in intensity.   My US was moved up and it showed that the sacs were still present, without any fetuses and without any further growth.   I opted for a D&C 2 days later, although I had started to miscarry on my own.  Because there were three sacs, they wanted to have the pathology tested to make sure that it was nothing more than a blighted ovum.   I would certainly opt for the same again if this happened again in the future despite the fact that I hate going under.   It gave me the closure I needed to start putting the whole thing behind me and preapring myself to try again in the future.   I am relieved to read that this happens more frequently than we hear about.   I had never heard of this before so I thought I was in a category of my own.   I can also empathize with mslkpage - I have gotten very tired of well-intentioned people saying "At least you know you can get pregnant".....Good luck to you all in future pregnancies!
Hello, I wonder if anyone can advise me as I'm so worried after my early scan on Friday.

I was 7 weeks last Thursday and I went for an early scan as last time I miscarried at 7-8 weeks but only discovered it at 11 weeks and the early pregnancy unit advised me to come and have an early scan wext time I was pregnant to reassure me.

Anyway at the scan on Friday I ws told that the sac measured correctly for 7 weeks but the baby was only 4mm, and it was then suggested that I return at the end of this week to have a follow up scan.

I took my results form back the the early pregnancy unit and they basically told me that it had happened again (miscarried) and the reason why I was asked to come back was just to make sure that was the case before they booked me in to have an ERPC (d&c). Although at the same time I was told to still treat it as a pregnancy just incase they were wrong. As you can imagine, my head is all over the place and I don't know what to think anymore.

Is there still a chance that my pregnancy will survive?

Hi everybody I am going through the same thing but this is my 3rd preg., 2 weeks ago it was my first dr., visit and we saw a heart beat and everything is ok.  So we made an appt. for last Wed.  I went in and I had an ultrasound done but the there was no heart beat.  The dr. came in and said that he was sorry but there was no heart beat but the baby was still there it did not look like it was disolving.  Here I am Monday and still nothing has came out.  I feel normal I have no tummy.  Please help how long does it take for it to come out?  

Thank you and God Bless all of you.  God has something bigger planned for you.

to: cjharrison WHAT HAS HAPPENED ARE YOU SILL PREG.?
I am having the same trouble.  last week i should of been 7 wks pregnant and they only saw a sac on the u/s (i had both types) but my blood work went from 25,000 last tuesday to 29,000 on thursday.  i have no signs of miscarriage, my body still feels pregnant.  i don't want to give up hope yet because i have heard of people having the wrong due date or sometimes having multiples and not getting a heart beat or seeing the babies right away.  any thoughts are appreciated.  i go for another u/s tomorrow...the waiting really stinks.  this is our first pregnancy...
I had a "blighted ovum" with my first pregnancy.  I was given very little information about it, probably because there was another twin that had developed, but had a cystic hygroma (which when away prior to birth)and the doctors suspected a chromosome abnormally.

I am glad to finally know that the twin we never got to know was truly there, if for only a short time.  I am relieved to know he or she existed.

Because we have a daughter from this pregnancy, I've oftened wondered if her twin could have been identical.  Does anyone know?  There were two sacs.  I think if there was only one sac, it would definately been identical twins. I wonder more now if the blighted ovum was due to a chromosome abnormally, and our daughter had the CH (and suspected chromosome abnormality).  Could they be related?
I am having a similar situation right now. I am 6 weeks 6 days pregnant and they havent found a heartbeat yet. I went to a specialist yesterday and they found twins.Ive heard from others that sometimes it takes longer to see a heartbeat in multiples. Im not sure what is going to happen now. Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any comments?
My husband and I had been ttc for 8 months and finally got pregnant early December. We had a heartbeat at 6 weeks despite some spotting, then went in for U/S at 7 weeks and still had a heartbeat. By the 8th week, we lost the heartbeat. We are devastated as this would have been our first. I know it's normal but I'm having a hard time because I have not officially miscarried despite some bleeding and cramps. Has anyone been through this? I want to try and hold out and not go through the D&C, but waiting has been emotionally very hard. Has anyone been through this? For how long can your body continue "holding" the embryo without a heartbeat?

Thank you.
I just went through this same thing.  I got pregnant with my first after a year of tyring in early December.  We went for the first sono at 8 weeks and there was a sac, but no fetal pole.  The doctor thought my dates were off b/c of my irregular cycles, so we went back in 10 days and the sac had grown, but still no fetal pole or heartbeat.  I had a D&C this past Friday, Feb 3.  I decided not to wait to pass it naturally b/c my Dr. said it would be more painful and that if I continued to bleed, I might have to have an emergency D&C anyway.  Having it scheduled made sure I had the Dr. I wanted to do it and not be an "emergency".  Please let me know if you have any questions. I was scared to death and cried for the entire day before the D&C b/c I have never had surgery, nor been under anesthesia before.  I will send good thoughts your way.  I am so sorry.  I am crying right now thinking about it all again.
I'm really worried as well and looking for some reassurances.  We'd been TTC our first for about 6 months and by my ovulation date, I should be 7 weeks PG tomorrow (I tend to ovulate around day 17 or 18 of my cycle, so calculating by last period date doesn't work).  Because I was seeing an RE, they started doing transvag ultrasounds really early, and when I went on Monday (at which point I should have been 6 weeks, 5 days) the doctor could not see a heartbeat.  She said she saw some "flickering" that might have been a hearbeat but that it was too close to my own pulse rate to tell.  She's also a bit concerned because she can see the sac but is not sure if there is a fetus there (one possible explanation she gave me is that if there is something there, it is "scrunched up against the side of the sac").  Basically, she told me it is still too early to tell what is happening, that I could come back next week and everything could be normal, or that I could come back and it could be a miscarriage.  When I asked about her level of concern, she said she was "a little concerned" but reiterated that it was too early to tell.

Though she told me to try not to worry, I am freaking out.  I have all the symtoms (symptoms) of being PG and no signs of a MC, but reading this post has made me wonder if this is a blighted ovum.

I guess the big question in my mind is, if I really was 6/5 on Monday, should she definitively have been able to see the heartbeat or the fetus?  Has anyone ever heard of the fetus being so far to the side of the sac that it is hard to see?  Please help!  Thanks!
Hi everyone, am new to this forum, but now as i write this , my eyes are filled with tears....it was my 6th week last week when we went for ultrasound...they found only the gestational sac....we thought maybe thats coz its too early.......but we cudnt suppress the surprise abt telling our family (mom, dad, in-laws etc) abt my pregnancy....we told most of them....this week is my 7th week and we are asked to repeat the ultrasound this thursday....(vaginal)....am not feeling well though having a fever and sore throat...so called up the doc to know if i can have medicine for that....and i asked her abt what happend to the last weeks ultrasound....she told me that ....it cud be a miscarriage!.....am just in that shocked state of mind now coz i feel as if iam drowning in sadness....cudnt contact my husband coz he is in a meeting ...so i just fell like pouring out my tears here.....please someone help me....cud i be pregnant again? does it always mean miscarriage if only the sac shows up in u/s? this is my first pregnancy...(guess i can no longer call myself that...feel sooo sad and devastated)....i just miss my mom now.......wish she was near me.......
This is exactly what happened to me.  This was also my first pregnancy, and I had no spotting, no cramps, and had all the signs of pregnancy (sore boobs, etc.) so it was so hard for me to believe that I was having a blighted ovum.  I too, thought I was around 7 weeks but my Dr. kept insisting that my dates were wrong even though I tracked everything by charting.  She said it happens all the time where you are off even though you are positive you are not.  So I got my hopes up and sure enough, by the next sono, the sac had gotten bigger, but no fetal pole.  There is definitely a possiblity that it could be "hiding".  I have heard hundreds of stories about people that went back a week later and everything was fine.  Try to stay positive.  I know exactly how you all feel.  I was obsessed with it for a week.  I couldn't sleep or eat and all I did was search on the internet.  I am here for you two if you need me.
LMP 12/13/05
Eight weeks today
MY DOCTOR DID A VAGINAL SONOGRAM-NO HEARTBEAT BUT THERE I COULD SEE THE BABY...HE SAID IT WAS KIND OF SMALL...HE SAID ITS A SIGN THAT I MIGHT MISCARRY OR THAT MY BABY IS GROWING AT AN ALARMINGLY SLOW RATE......CAN YOU DETECT A HEARTBEAT AT SEVEN WEEKS VIA A VAGINAL SONOGRAM?
This is the exact thing that JUST happened to me.  I havent went to my follow up appt. since I've been bleeding (appt. on 2/14), Ive been bleeding for about a week now, it got worse and now its begining to slow down. I was just wondering about how long you could bleed for when you have a miscarriage?  And how long you should wait before trying to get preg. again?
It should stop soon. It might ease of for a bit and then come back for a day or two. It depends, if you had a natural m/c normally waiting till your first period has come is ok. Unless the doctor tells you other wise 1 cycle should be fine. Although you can get pregnant before your period..
Hope that helps, sorry to hear of your losses!
Baby Dust ****************
Yes, you can detect a heartbeat at 7 weeks through a trans vaginal. I just had mine done and it showed I was 7 weeks and 3 days, so yes it sure can. I really hope everything turns out ok with you situation, keep us updated.
I just went in for my first appt with the doctor. He says I would be a seven weeks by now. He did the vaginal ultrasound. He saw a sac but no fetus or heartbeat. He told me to brace for a miscarraige (miscarriage). Should I be worried? I have had a little pink on my tissue after wiping but only about four times in the past week. No actual blood yet. I want this baby soooo bad. I can't believe this is happening. He is having me come in again in a week to see what things look like. Has this happened to anyone before? I am sooo worried? Am I going to miscarry? Please help...
THE SAME QUESTION TO MY DOCTOR WAS, WHEN CAN I GET PREG AGAIN.  HE SUGESTED TO WAIT A LEAST 3 MONTHS THAT WAY YOUR UTERUS WILL BE NORMAL.  BECAUSE IF YOU TRY VERY SOON YOU WILL HAVE ANOTHER CHANCE TO HAVE A MISCARIAGE.  

I WISH EVERY ONE A GOOD LOOK AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU.  JUST HAVE FAITH IF ITS MEANT TO BE THERE WILL BE SOMTHING BIGGER FOR YOU TO COME.  

I had a blighted ovum back in November. It was my 2nd pregnancy and I went for my first ultrasound at 7 weeks and they saw the sac, but no fetus or fetal pole. They wanted me to get blood taken to test my levels so I did. The numbers had increased a lot after two days. I went back a week later for another ultrasound and still the same thing. I had already started to have a brownish discharge that eventually turned to red blood so I had already started to miscarry everything. A couple of weeks later everything was back to normal. I just found out last week that I'm pregnant again. I go to the doctor on Monday for my first appt. I'm so nervous to even go because I'm afraid they will tell me the same thing again. I know this is a hard thing to go through, but things do happen for a reason. Best of luck to everyone!!!
I can understand all of the fear that comes with a v/s ultrasound with no fetal pole.  My first pregnancy was a blighted ovum, my second I lost at 20 weeks.  There was some speculation that my body did not recognize the lose off the first baby, and that is what caused me to go into premature labor with the second baby.  I am pregnant again though, so for everyone I believe there is hope.  I have had my 3rd ultrasound today, and everything seems to be progressing fine.  My heart goes out to everyone, I remember the pain and the fear, just please remember that if God chose to give you a glimpse, one day he will give you the prize.
My LMP is 08/01/06. Conceived date is 22/01/06. my cycles are regular. On the 09/02/06, i was tested positive but i have some spotting so did mg HCG. Went back on 11/02/06 to do another HCG. Result was good. It doubled compared to the last one. Went to see the dr again on 24/02/06. They did a vaginal scan for me. There's only the sac there but no fetal pole or yolk seen. Is it possible that I'm having blighted ovum? I'm also having spotting for 2 weeks already. It only came during office hours. Going for another scan on 10/03/06. Hopefully everything is fine. Dr said its to early for baby to be seen at this moment. So worried now....
This is my first pregnancy at 28 years of age.  I am a US citizen living in Guatemala with my fianc
I am about 10 weeks now, and I had an ultrasound done last week because I was in a car accident, and this is when I found out there was no heartbeat.  But as you all have went through he continues to order blood test and my quant keeps going up and up.  It has doubled.  It is now 18,xxx.  So now I go back in on Monday March 20 to have more blood and another u/s done.  THis is a big bummer to me because I have one healthly beautiful 19 month old son.  I lost a pregnancy in Oct to ectopic and I had to have surg.  Then in Dec I lost another pregnancy to miscarriage.  Now I am have these issues.  Isn't life great.  Yesterday the 16th was my 24th Birthday, and all I want is another healthy child.  I work in the Neonatal intensive care unit and my job makes me very angry now.  I see all the crack heads, and junkies who do not want their children and the parents who just leave their children behind once they are born, and all I want is a baby.  My husband and I want 2 more children, but with my luck after these past 3 times I do not know what to do.
Does anyone know if the pregnancy is non-viable, will hcg levels keep doubling every 48 hrs?
i have been reading through every ones experiences and it comforts me to know that there are women out there that have gone through what i am going through . I am supposed to be 12 weeks 3 days pregnant but after spotting on the 6th may they told me that i dont have a  heartbeat for the baby  and the baby measured ony 6 weeks and 3 days in size. I have written a blog on my experience for other woment hat will experience mssed miscarrige to know what to expect. im at home now waiting for the remaiing tissues to miscarry naturally.

heres the link to my blog http://miscarrige.blogspot.com/

i hope that my experience might be able to help others through this terible time
Hi... I went to doctor on 7th week and found that I am 7 weeks as per Sac size but there is no embryo. Doctor advised me to repeat ultrasound after 7-10 days but I want to wait for approx. 20 days. I am very afraid. I dont know wat will happen. As per doctors, there are very little chances for successful pregnancy. I dont have any spotting, just cramps.
I was 7 weeks pregnant and I went to the emergency room becasue I was having cramps let me tell you this was my first preganancy as well. i went to the first hospital and they only saw a sac and nothing else no heart beat not even a baby. The doctor didnt go over anything with me at all as a matter of fact told me to take another pregancy test in two days.!!!??? i was so worried and confused.even when i read the discharge papers they said that there was a sac with an unusual yolk in it.!!!! i went to a hospital and was preg with my first baby and this doctor is telling me basically nothing and to take another preg test. i felt like i needed another opinon. so i went to another hospital in a different area.  was treated with more respect there and they knew this was my first pregnancy so they gave me alot of info and guess what. they saw my baby with a vaginal u/s and a heart beat and i was fine and so was she they told me these cramps were from my uterus growing. now i am 22 weeks and we are still both healthy. so dont worrie too much but be safe and ask all the questions you can. dont be afraid to get another opinion!!
i just went to the doctor today to have a u/s the technician asked since i was only 7 wks did i want to do a regular u/s or a vaginal one and i stuck with the regular one because i am very petite and my stomach is thin it was really easy to find the embryo she told me sometimes it depends on your weight and some people have to have vaginal ultrasounds you should not get discouraged it was there fault for not telling you the alternative.

Hope i helped ease some anxiety
ashley
H, i went for my 1st u/s during my 6th week of pregnancy. The doctor said can only see a sac. Scheduled for another u/s after 1 month. I went for 2nd u/s, i can see my baby!! All the best everybody!!
For my pregnancy, it was a ivf case. Implantation took place on the 4th dec last yr.
I went to the gynae this morning and was told I'm 7weeks 3days pregnant. Could only see the sac and the baby which the gynae said measured only 3mm which is exceptional small. No heartbeat. We weren't hopefully and I was advised to come back next week for another virginascan.

I'm feeling rather helpless, sad and at the same time trying not to think too much about it as I read that it's too early to detect heartbeat etc.... but I just don't want to live in denial...
Hi everyone.
I have been reading all your comments. I am supposed to be approx 9 weeks pregnant. I first found out I was pregnant when I had stomach cramps and decided to do a pregnancy test the next day as I my period was late. The test came back positive and I decided to go to A&E as I didnt want to take any risks. When I attended A&E, they gave me a scan and looked very confused as they couldnt see any sign of a baby. I would have been very early so they thought maybe it was too early to see anything. They decided to give me a vaginal scan, still couldnt see anything in the womb but thought they could see something in my left fallopian tube.
I was told to go home as the pain had gone. They took my blood befoe I left and they said they would contact me with results. I was told to come back to the early pregnancy unit.
They told me that my hormone levels were very low and after more tests, they were rising but very slowly. I was told that this was due to a possible ectopic pregnancy. After another scan I was told they could see a vascular mass attached to my ovary and still no baby. They were unsure if this was an ectopic but told me that as it was still early, it was possible that everything was fine and the mass maybe due to being pregnant and needing a larger blood supply for the baby.
On my next scan finally they saw a sack in the womb but said it was very small but the mass was still there and I may still miscarry.
At this point I was beginning to think maybe things would work out fine as the baby was in the right place.
Two days later, I miscarried and eventually came to A&E with the pain and they said there was nothing much they could do. They gave me pain killers and said my hormone levels (which were very low) had finally dropped slightly.
I continued to bleed and pass tissue and thought it was all over.
Next I went to my scan to make sure everything had gone and I was told that they think the 'mass' on my left ovary is another baby. They said my hormone levels were falling but very slowly. They 'mass' is increasing in size but has no heartbeat or no features of a normal pregnancy.
This was the last thing I was expecting. It was hard enough trying to cope with my loss and now having to cope with maybe another loss.
I am still unsure if this 'mass' is infact another pregnancy that has not formed or something else?? All sorts have been going through my mind from another baby, to a cyst, or even ovarian cancer. This whole thing has been going on for a month now and I still don't know what it is. It is worrying as I can't help thinking that if it is growing, what if it is dangerous or what if my tube ruptures? Or what if it is spreading and I need to have everything removed?
I have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow morning and have been really upset and stressed. My manager has decided to let me go from work as I have had too much time off and have only been at the job for 2 weeks before all this occured. I don't know what to think- but the worst. All I have had through all this is bad news.
I was told that this is very rare and only happens to about 1 in 30,000 women- if they've got it right.
It is called a Heterotopic pregnancy. I am really worried, has anyone heard of this or does anyone have any thoughts on my situation?

Jenni
hi everyone,im 23yrs old....now im 8weeks 4 days pregnant and had an vaginal ultrasound,but couldnt find baby and no heartbeat..there is only sac filled with fluid..but there is something that is very lightly seen...given blood test to check hormonal levels...hope my hormonal levels will  increase..."this is my second pregnancy"..and had the same problem even in first pregnancy,so i had D&C..hope this should not repeat this time...im so worried.. :(( me and my husband are relatives as well..doctor said it will not effect the baby..doc gave me a follow-up after 2 weeks and to have an another ultrasound to check whether baby is grown or not...can anyone tell me y this is repeatedly happening 2 me..
hello, i am interested in what happen with your situation. I am suppose to be 9 weeks and 1 day; I had my first visit to the hospital. The doctor did not see or hear my baby heart beat. I was told that, the calculation of my pregnancy could be off or it's an early sign of miscarriage. The sac/yolk was visible but no sign of the baby. I was really excited and now I'm very sad and worried.
Hi everyone.. I am 26yrs old....Sometimes I had irregular periods. According to my last periods dates i m 8weeks 4 days pregnant and had an vaginal ultrasound and it is showing 5 weeks. Also Dr. couldn't find baby or heartbeat..there is only yolk sac.But I don't have bleeding problem. I am so worried..Doctor asked me to follow-up after 2 weeks and to have an another ultrasound to check whether baby is grown or not...can anyone know why this problem happens?

Hi im considered being 7weeks 3days pregnant n i went to the doctor because i was having pain in my middle back so the did two ultrasounds (abdominal) and two vaginal, and only seen the sac.. No baby =/ so i have to go back tomorrow.. Could it be that my baby isnt big enough to detect?They also said it could be an etopic pregnancy but im not bleeding, vomiting nor feeling dizzy or about to faint.. Does anyone know what it might be??? Please im a bit worried...
Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences.I'm appreciate it and sending lots of love and hugs to everyone on this board.
I just went for my ultra sound on Tuesday.  They said the genstational sac measured 7 weeks 2 days, but that was it. Nothing else seen.  They are doing blood work, I went Tuesday, today and I have to go again on Monday.  I'm very worried.  I did have a stomach bug, but I still feel pregnant.  No cramps or  bleeding.  How did it work out for you?
Hi! What was the outcome of your pregnancy?
What was the result. I'm having the same problem.