Maternal & Child Community
8 weeks, empty sac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

8 weeks, empty sac

Hi everyone.  I am 8 weeks pregnant, and had my first ultrasound yesterday.  The sac measured perfectly to date, but empty.  Diagnosed a blighted ovum.  Is there any hope for me?  This was a huge shock.  Im praying my baby is hiding and next monday when i go in it will appear.  Im hoping it is misdiagnosed, but 8 weeks is pretty far along, we should be able to see everything.

Did they check your hcg levels? That would be a clear indications as to whether or  not you will m/c.
I just got a call with my hcg, and then I will have it checked again on Monday.  It seems pretty low to me, 6500.  But my doctor said that the first count rarely means anything, its the 2nd that will determine everything.  But it still seems fairly low.
I was concerned about how low my numbers were in the beginning (305@15DPO and 750@17DPO ) so I asked the Dr. About it. He said they are not concerned with the actual number itself, just that it is rising as it should be. I have since seen the heartbeat at 5wks 6 days. I am not out the woods yet, but I feel a little better.

I wish you all the best!!!
Even i had the similar problem.There was no baby found till the end of 8th week but aan empty sac growing which resulted in a blighted ovum.Everything  ended up with the D&C done.It was a bad experience in my entire life.I feel i have lost everything in my life.This may not be ur case...Hope for the best.
That's true, it's after the first numbers that you get more of an indication of how viable the pregnancy is.
I'm sorry you have to go through this.  I had a blighted ovum, but they didn't discover it till 11 weeks.  Bythat time, there should have been a developed baby in there.  I saw my son on u/s at 6 weeks though.  TRy to stay positive, but be prepared, 8 weeks is pretty far along to not see anything.  If you do have a blighted ovum the good news is that you can try again, but it's still hard to lose a pregnancy.  I found comfort knowing that while I lost my pregnancy, at least there wasn't a baby to lose, justy a placenta.  Hope you get better news, hang in there till your next appt. and good luck.
Did they do bloodwork...are you going back to measure hcg levels in a couple days?
I just had a blighted ovum, with d and c perfprmed on March 1.  Now I am 8w5d pg, so even if you loose this one, there is plently of hope left.  My dr explained that b ovums are not usually a recuring problem or something that needs treatment, like a weak cervix etc.  I definately feel your pain, and yes, there are lots of stories of women who have been diagnosed with problems and went on to have successful pgs.  There is one woman who used to post here (i havent seen her lately) who didnt see anything on the us till 9w.  not even a sac.  At 9w they saw the fetus, and everything was ok.  I dont want to give you false hope, but dont write it off yet.  The important thing to remember is that whatever the outcome of this pg, it in no way reflects on any future pgs you will have.  I would have been due in November, Im due in January instead.  Try to stay positive, and remember that we are here for you now if you need more support.  (((HUGS)))
I posted a similar question earlier today...maybe some of the comments can help you. Good luck to us both.
I've jsut had a similar scare today. As per my calculations i am 6 weeks, and in my scheduled TVS, they couldn't see anything, so naturally i freaked out!

But then i was reffered to a speacialist with better equipment and he said i was 5 weeks and not 6, hence no fetal poles in sight. He also checked for an ectopic pregnancy

I go in, a week later to make sure that everything was ok. But as I've had an IUI i couldn't be off by a whole week right?
I just had a m/c blighted ovum.  I was supposed to be 9 weeks and the sac measured 6w6d and no baby was found.  I started out spotting and then bleeding lightly followed by a heavy bleeding.  I passed big clots and the sac.  I have read a lot of postings and I think that anything is possible.  I do hope that everything is alright.  Like one of the other ladies said, be prepared either way.  My hcg levells were at 19000.  Be postive and I will pray for you.
If you are only at 5 weeks they probably wouldn't be able to see anything, even at 6 weeks it's tiny.  I hope you get better news next week, try not to stress too much, it's still really early, take care.
Hi I am new here and I want to say I understand how you feel.  I am 7 weeks and 3 days and I was told today by an ultrasound tech that from what she sees, I dont have a viable pregnancy but I must give it another week.  Today was my 3rd transvag ultrasound.  My first was 2 weeks ago and things looked fine - small round sac.  Then a week later (6 1/2 wks) I did another and the doctor said things still looked fine (sac was round and higher) but there was nothing in the sac so she was thinking I my be earlier than thought.  Now today the sac is elongated and I have a cyst on my right ovary.  I havent did any blood tests yet.  I am hoping to get through with them tomorrow.  I also have polycystic ovaries and I am wondering if they caused some of this.  I havent had any spotting at all but I havent had much pregnancy symptoms.  I was on Clomid so I found out early I was pregnant and the first week I was a bit nauseous with tender breasts then after a week it went away.  So I am thinking that I too have a blighted ovum.  I am praying for a miracle but I have put it in God's hands.  I wish you the best!!!
I know that this is a difficult situation but try to stay positive.  Even if this pregnancy doesn't work out have faith that you will get pregnanct again.  I had a m/c 2 years ago and an empty sac in Nov 05 and I am once again pregnant.

Here's to hoping for the best and not giving up!  (((((HUGS)))))
Just had a d&e yesterday.  Was diagnosed with a blighted ovum on Thursday. Ultra sound was last Tuesday Dr performed bloodwork on Wednesday my Hcg levels had gone down about 8,000 pts.  When he called me on Thursday gave me the option of letting it go on it's own,d&e,or medicine which would eventually go to m/c on own-- quicker.  We chose to have a d&e which is quicker than the other two and can start again soon.  It is devistating news.  I wish you the best but we are now on the other side and looking forward to starting again.  Hang in there.  One thing you can look at which helped us is that if this is what we had - your body fought to make a healthy baby,  it was not healthy therefore your body new it rather it happen now than later.
I am in the similar boat as you. I am 8 weeks pregnant with empty sac. I went for my Beta HCG blood test and it was 93516 miu/ml and 95653 miu/ml after 48 hours. Doctor said it is not a good sign as the reading did not double up, it shows slight rise which might be slow fetal development. He said if it is an empty sac again by next week I have to do the D&C. I am so worried. What was your reading then?
I am also on the same boat and been going through emotional roller coaster in the last few weeks.  I am supposed to be 8 weeks tomorrow, at my 2nd transvag u/s yesterday, they still only found a gestational sac, no fetal pole or anything.  But, the sac did get bigger and measured at 5w4d fetal age.  The radiologist suggested to go back for another u/s in 10 days.  I've already had 5 blood tests for HcG.  It's nerve wrecking.  I have my doc appt in about an hour.  I just hope we will be able to see something next week.  
I had an u/s this week (at 7.5 weeks) and all the doc could see was an empty sac. But my blood tests were all normal and hcg levels were high. I have another u/s next week. but somehow i just know -- just feel empty -- that there is no baby there. It is heartbreaking and I feel for you. But the good news is, we can get pregnant! Many women can't, so congratulations for that.
Thank you everyone for posting.  I had an US at 5 weeks and again at 7.  Both times showed an empty sac.  The dr was concerned, but not ready to make a desicion.  I started spotting at the beginning of week 9.  Went in the next day the sac still looked empty.  I got a second opinion, still nothing.  My hcg levels are not were they should be.  So I have a d&c scheduled for tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  
Had m/c on dec31 2009 found out i was preg 4 weeks ago I Just went in for 2nd u/s today according to my period date i should be 7 weeks all we could see was a empty sac but doubled in size from last u/s I had last week? breasts are still sore but i feel empty they say come back in 10 days but i cant wait this is the emotional roller coaster i cant get off being 36yo im freaking that i cant have a baby now. :-(
Has anyone had this before ????
dear all all the past messages have helped me a lot even i had a similar case i was six week pregnant when the doctor asked me to go for an ultrasound but i found out that the sack was corresponding to six week but was empty, then the doc asked me to take the ultrasound next week but next week also the sack was empty and then finally i had an ultrasound in 8th week then also the sack was growing well and everything else was fine and beta hcg levels were also fine but still there was neigther the yolk sack nor the baby but one thing was added in the ultrasound report, which was that the ultrasonologist suspected that i had subchronic hematoma, hence the doc asked me to go for dnc but thank god i had gone through the messages put by others so i refused to go for dnc and i said that i will wait and i continued to take the medicines in the same way and continued taking injections as i was having slight spottings even though the doctor asked me take replace them with capsules as this time i didn't want to loose my baby as i already had a miscariage last year so this time i was too coscious. Now i waited till the end on 10th week and then i again went for an ultrasound but in a different hospital and i couldn't beleive on my eyes as i saw my baby who was perfectly fine and growing well and was healthy. so i suggest that each one of u who's been diagnosed of blighted ovum or hematoma should wait if they can without any other complications for atleast 10 to 11 weeks. may god help u all as he helped me!!!!
ty I went today for my first ultrasound and all I saw was a sac now you have given me hope
I have been going through the same thing.  Went for us Monday for what should of been my 10 week scan.  Just an empty sac was seen.  Theyve said it could be Molar preg or ectopic or my dates are wromg. I had bloods taken and will have them repeated again today with the consultant.  I am beside myself with worry, not knowing.  I am hoping my dates are wrong, but it doesnt look like.  Reading your posts have given me some hope.
I am 9 weeks pregnant and yesterday the ultrasound showed an empty sac. My HCG is at 31,000. I don't know yet what I am to do. Possibly another blood test then ultrasound.  This is such an emotional roller coaster.  I hope something shows as this truly would be a miracle baby considering I am 41 and was told that I couldn't have more kids.  I have a healthy 7 yr old and had a miscarriage 2 years ago after going thru infertility treatments and IUI. This was a natural pregnancy.....