Maternal & Child Community
8 weeks pregnant, bleeding, and falling hcg levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am currently 8 weeks pregnant (LMP) and have been bleeding/staining since the beginning.  The staining is usually brown, although it has become more red in the last few days.  I've had a series of hcg tests done as well as two ultrasounds.  My hcg levels reached 3900 at 7 weeks and are now dropping (currently at 3500).  I had an ultrasound a few days aog and it showed a sac measuring 6 weeks 2 days with a fetal pole and a slow (according to the tech) heartbeat.  I've had no cramping.  I'm wondering if there are other people in this situation who have gone on to have normal pregnancies, or if this is all pointing in the direcction of a miscarriage?  I have a healthy 2 year old and with that pregnancy the only symptom I had, besides missed periods, was a growing belly.  Do I have any reason to hold on to hope?  Thank you.
I wish you all the best but if hcg is falling, it's not a good indication of a viable pregnancy.  You will find out soon once you go to your appointment.  But, don't give up yet, miracle does happen!
Good Luck!
with your hcg levels falling, that is a bad sign but if there was a heartbeat there is still hope. i hope things turn out ok for you can your baby is fine.
I'm sorry you are going thru this. Falling hcg levels are definately not a good sign. Looks like I am loosing mine too (see open forum). It's never easy even when we have a child already. I m/c before at 6 weeks prior to having my DD and am currently 4 weeks - or was. :{
I am sorry to hear that you are going through pretty much the same as me.  I go back Monday to see if my hcg level have doubled if not.... then the inevitable  but like one of the other said.... miracles do happen.  Best wishes!!
im so sorry for you loss.  im glad hailey brings you comefort.  when i lost a daughter 2 years ago, my older son was my rock and my strength.  he was barely 3 at the time.  im praying for your family.  thank you for sharing your story.
Update... For anyone who might be in the same situation and want to know my outcome, or for those who are just interested.  I had another ultrasound today and there was no longer a heartbeat and it was still measuring 6weeks 2 days (so no growth in three days).  After the ER doctor consulted with the ob/gyn it was decided that I should have a D&C today.  I just got home now and I am feeling remarkably OK.  I'm sad, but I look at my 2 yr old daughter and realize even more what a little miracle she is.  For anyone else going through anything like this, I wish you all the best and my prayers are with you.
I don't want to disapoint you with my experience, but it's the truth. When I was 8 weeks pregnant, I noticed brown blood when I wiped. this continued for 10 days, the next 3 days, I was wiping fresh blood and spotting, then the blood went back to brown. In total, this lasted for 3 weeks. I hardly had any cramping and when I did it was very mild. On my first prenatal visit which was on feb 16th/06, no heartbeat was detected. the ultra sound showed that the baby had died at 5 weeks gestational. I had a d&c done on Friday. I'm very upset with all this, definitely since my symtoms (symptoms) were mild and HPTs still showed +ve. If your Hcg is dropping, I would request a weekly U/S, if you can, just to keep your mind at ease. good luck and let us know what happens. the body works in mysterious ways.
I am new to the boards.  I just went to the ER on 2/14/06 at 8 wks preg. and saw on the Ultrasound that there was no longer a heartbeat.  Everything had been fine at 6wks (I'd spotted at 6wks and went to the Obgyn but it looked good then).  Apparently growth had stopped a few days earlier.  I had a D%C on 2/15/06.  

I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss.  I can understand the pain you must have felt and still feel.  I just happened upon the boards by chance tonight while looking online for an answer to why I'm still bleeding 5 days after my D&C.
I am so sorry for your loss.  I wish I could say more to help than I know how you feel.  I just got home from the doctor.  I had another hcg blood test.  I am now sitting here waiting for them to call me with the results.  I am not sure if you read my other comments but I went Thursday for the first u/s and the sac was not completely round.  They are not sure how far along I am and if it is a viable pregnancy.  It all depends on the test today.  So, now I am just sitting by the phone (and praying for a miracle) waiting for the call.  If you are interested I will let you know the results.  They said it would be just before lunch.  Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
Update....for anyone who has read my posted comments.....
I received the test results just after lunch today.... I am scheduled for a D&C at 6am in the morning(Tuesday 02/21/06).  Haileysmom, I now know how you must feel.  My DH is very upset. He is afraid I will not try again but I plan to.  Does anyone know how long I should wait?  My mom has been with me all day taking care of me. I was really glad because I have already started bleeding and am afraid I may not make it until the a.m.  I may end up going to the hospital before the night is over.  Anyway, Haileysmom, again, I am so sorry you had to go through this.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone.  It is very emotionally straining.
Im sorry for each and you all m/c. I havs my sirgery on 8/20/06. I gad 2 bighted ovums. I had my surgery the next day. It is so hard to find out that you are loosing your child, in fact 2. Some people were like well maybe it worked out for the best b/c u are still in college. Well to me the best profession in thw workd to me is to be a mother!!!!!!! I had to let what I wanted in the world so much go. So I do understand what yall are going through. Im glad that I found this website so I can share my feeling with similar people. This is the most that I have ever talked about my m/c.
Can anyone help me here? I just found out I was pregnant w/ a HPT on 8/30. On 9/2 I began bleeding so I had a HCG lab drawn and it was 980, two days later it had dropped to 540. I assumed I had miscarried but one week later (when I went to have las done again expecting it to fall, my ob said I needed to have it drawn untill it went to zero, it was back up to 860. two days after that it was 1172. I'm really confused. A few people have said I may have had twins and lost one? Any advice wold be great. I'm scheduled for an ultrasoun on Thursday so keep your fingers crossed!
Just to maybe give some hope, I am 8wks pregnant, I have a 10 & 11year old and am 30.  My hormones are all sorts of screwy and was told I would never have any more kids, so we are ecstatic.  I was spotting last weekend, had an ultrasound to make sure it was not tubal, and it all looked good, except I have a fibroid that may or may not cause a problem as the baby implanted right below it.  The first spotting was brown and 2 days later was red.  I freaked out and have been a nervous wreck.  I went to the dr.  mon.  she drew more blood to test my hcg levels.  I went back Wed to have them read, just to have the ob say we would have to wait until my ultrasound the next day to get a better idea of what is going on.  she was concerned because the hearbeat in the us 6 days before was only at 87 beats/min, should be between 120-180, and was very concerned that my hcg levels didn't double.  She said they went up significantly (34,000 on Fri and 44,000 on Mon, 56,000 on wed), so it didn't necessarily indicate a miscarriage yet, but she was concerned.  I thought for sure we were doomed, we want this so badly.  I just got the results of yesterday's ultrasound:  the heartbeat went up to 144, the baby has grown, and things look good!  And my levels still had not doubled.  I was reminded we can't breathe a sigh of relief until 12 weeks, and I am sure I won't until the baby is born, but that the ultrasound is way more accurate than any hcg test.  Please keep that in mind.  I know how scary this is, I have been shaking, crying and praying all week as they called this a threatened abortion.  the only advice I can give is to stay positive, and surround yourself with positive people, take it easy and drink lots of water.  For all of you that I suffered your losses, my heart truly breaks for you, I know that all the reasoning in the world doesn't make it any easier.  I hope you find peace and can get through this difficult time.