Maternal & Child Community
8 weeks pregnant and severely constipated! HELP!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

This may seem so crude and so, I apologize in advance but, I'm having some trouble here.  I haven't had a decent BM in a week+!  I am terribly bloated.  TERRIBLY!  I have an incredible appetite but I'm almost certain that the snugness in my pants are due to bloating not the pregnancy.  A few days after I found out I was pregnant, I went with my best friend to her Doctors appointment.  I spoke to her and told her I was also pregnant and that I would be coming to see her in a few weeks. She gave me some free samples of Prenatal and I took them religiously.  But I had to stop.  I feel tremendously guilty but, I just cant live this way.  It's been about a week since I've been off and it hasn't gone away.  I'm afraid to take anything.  I cant bare to drink prune juice because of my morning sickness but I am going to try.  My official doctors appointment isn't until next Monday.  But I'm starting to notice my appetite decreasing.  There isn't any room I'm assuming.  I don't know what to do.  This is my second pregnancy but the first one was a M/C.  I'm hoping everything is ok with this one.  I cant live like this anymore.  I'm miserable.  Please help.
Before I was pregnant I ate a lot of Kashi products with is high in fiber.  But I tried and it's not working either.
Call your doctor's office first, but I'm pretty sure you can take OTC stool softners.  These aren't laxatives, only softners.  They do help a lot and don't give you cramps like laxatives.  Just check with doc first.
Try taking you prenatals at night if they make you sick (I noticed you said you had morning sickness) but they also cause consitipation because of the iron. The increase of hormones in your body also makes your intestinal tract slower there fore leading to constipation.  Its good to eat foods high in fiber (more than you did before pregnancy) and drink plenty of water and maybe a juice (it does not have to be prune juice).  Get regular exercise.  A stool softner, such as docusate sodium (Colace)  is usually okay to take but check with your Dr first.
Ask you doc about the prenatal called Prima Care.  It's got 2 pills you take per day. One in the am and one in the pm.  I noticed that I became more regular when I started taking them.  I finally read the insert that the pharmacy gives you with the RX.  These have a stool softener in them.  I am very happy with them.
You can try eating blueberries--it is good source of vitamins and also a natural remedy to your problem.  Hope this helps
A friend of mine takes Metamucil or something similar to that in the capsule form.  I think she has to take like 4 two times a day or something crazy like that.  I know the feeling and it's not comfortable!  Good luck.
I am almost 9 weeks and have the same situation for weeks now. I go only bits and it hurts and is uncomfortable. I am eating Raisin Bran and drinking lots of water. I think there's some herbal or OTC stool softner or laxative you can get. I haven't tried yet. Hope you feel better soon....Take Care :)
Be sure to ask for the PrimaCare...theres primacare and primacare one and precare premire are all by the same company and the bottles look very much alike.  PrimaCare has a fish oil based fatty acids in it that acts as a stool softner.
Hi!  I had the same problem a few weeks ago.  I work at a hospital and the nurse manager on the OB unit told me to drink white grape juice and to eat shredded wheat.  It really worked well for me and the grape juice didn't cause diarrhea like apple juice does.
i was also dealing with this i didn't have a bm for ten days and i will be 10 weeks pregnant tomorrow.  my dr. told me to take pericolace 2 tablets a day and i went the next day.
Thanks for all your help.  I will try a couple of things that I've read about in your posts. And I will definetly bring up the Prima Care to my doctor.  This Prenatal sounds like it's better suited to my needs.  I am totally in the same shoes as the last poster.  I go but its small and extremely uncomfortable.

It's an odd feeling when your stomach is growling but you still feel full.  It's terrible because, when it growls, I shove anything in my mouth to keep me from vomiting.  But I cant keep doing this due to the consipation.
Anyway, thanks for your help.  I just found this page today and it feels really great to know there is a place I can go when I'm feeling insecure or am worried about something.

Thanks all!
i've got the same thing. what works, if you can stomach it, is prune juice or eat stone fruit - plums or apricots. fibrous food never did anything for me either but prunes work differently - they stimulate whatever needs stimulating in order to poop (sorry)
Try Black Cherry juice and eat apples!! That does the trick for me!
Hey there otc stool softeners are good to take while preg i took them with both my kids even while breast feeding and if you live in the US then go to a walgreens and try COLACE it works wonders. Good luck and hope everything starts flowing.
I went for over 2 weeks without having a BM with my last pregnancy. It was aweful. I even tried a fleet enima and it didn't work. I finally started using Benefiber and it got better within a few days. It is a powder you can mix in any drink, even water. Also you can take colace which is a stool softener so that when you do go it isn't painful. I had severe morning sickness too. I stopped taking the vitamins all together because i couldn't take it. My baby was just fine. Don't stress about the vitamin.
i went through the same thing.  it was a horror but fortunately it left when i hit the second trimester.  my dr. said to take pericolace and it did help.
good luck!
I've known many women that could not take their prenatal vitamins for various reasons.  Their doctors told them to take childrens vitamins and extra folic acid.

You just can't handle the extra iron the prenatal right now.  You do need to be taking folic acid though.  So go ahead and not take your vitamin if it makes you very ill, but please do take folic acid.  Remember that you should start taking folic acid before you are pregnant and it is just a good idea to take it until you can no longer have children.

I had severe constipation too.  It is safe to take something.  But I would go the diet route first.  Eat lots of high fiber foods and drink some prune juice.  Also try a warm bath.  It will help relax things.

hello,
i am 8 weeks pregnant and have severe constipation. Infact it was horrible today, I felt like I will poo but it did not come and it hurted a lot. I was just wondering can I apply pressure to poo as  i feel so uncomfortable and hve a bloated feeling.please help
so i am 11 weeks preganat going on my sixth day of constipation tried colace stool softner for the past three days with prune juice and dried fruits, also cereal high in fiber and nothing works resulting me with hemeroids the worst, i don't know what to do!!!
OMG if you are reading this - your old post popped up and I thought you were pregnant again. hahaha I just got so excited.

To the others.  This is the worst part of pregnancy.  Sorry i had it horrible and it lasted the entire time.  Colace does not work that well and that is all my doctor let me take.

Good Luck
I thought the same thing as Cant Wait-I was like OMG newbie is preggo again!! LOL
Cantwait is right! Being constipated is awful. I was definitely worse in the beginning of my pregnancy!! I really don't have any suggestions-try to eat alot of  fruits and veggies! :)
loved the new pictures of Avery - she is so pretty.  Do you have any plans for her birthday?  I already booked Elmo.
Aw thanks! I was wondering if you got them! I don't know what to do for her birthday. It is May 1st. Elmo-that is so cute!!  How did you get Elmo?? Probably a stupid question-LOL! I have the big birthday coming up March 30th-I will be the big 30! UGH!!
Wow the Big 30 - I was in Vegas dancing on the bar in Coyote Ugly when the clock hit midnight on my 30th birthday.  Then the Red Sox won the world series that same night for the first time and there were people going crazy everywhere.  I had my pre pregnancy body then and was with all my girlfriends so i was having the time of my life.  So sorry, I dont remember turning 30 - haha.  Wow, how a baby changes you.  I will not even show her those pictures.  Now I will be turning 34 OUCH!

Have a great birthday - its really not bad at all.  I ordered Elmo from some place in the yellow pages.  I am having a sesame street birthday party on the 10th and then on the 11th we are going to Sesame Place (mother's day).  I cant believe a year has gone by already.

Hey, at least I am not constipated :)
Well, I don't think I will be dancing on any bars!! You are right about how a baby changes you!  My life revolves around her now! I wouldn't change it for the world though!! I think my husband and I are just going to go away overnight and probably sleep HAHA! I can't believe that our girls are going to be 1 already-it seems like just yesterday we were pregnant. Are you ready to do it again soon?  Lately I've been thinking about it more and more. I just hope the next pregnancy is a little easier. Some days I want to have another one soon and then other days I think I must be crazy. Avery is such a handful. The other day she was in the bathroom with me and she put her hands in the toilet and then proceeded to pull the TP off of the roll and stuff it in her mouth. All within a couple of seconds! AHH!  She is such a pistol- very strongwilled!!!
I am right there with you some days I want one now and other days I just want her for the rest of my life.  It is hard to think that you can even love another baby as much?  My boyfriend and I were discussing it and he said I just dont think it is fair to the new baby.  I said you will fall in love with your new baby just like her.  It is such an overwhelming feeling.  I had a scare (not really a scare) a couple months ago and I already started to go into mom mode.  No planned and I could not even figure out how it would have happened but when the blood test came back negative I was actually a little sad.  :(

I think we are going to just not be as careful and see where it takes us.  I would love to have another baby but like you some days I think I am nuts.
I want another child too but sometimes I wonder how I would manage because Shane is usually gone from Sunday until Wednesday night or Thursday. Sometimes it is hard with me being the only one at home-I know people do it all the time but sometimes I am just worn out after working all day. Thank god for my mom. I would be lost without her!! I don't think Avery sleeps as much as she should. I think I will post a question to see if anyone has any tips and if she is normal! LOL :)
I didn't know you were expecting again!!!!  Congrats!
OLD POST!  
This forum confuses me......

I thought she was pregnant too.
Pregnancy ***** but the end when he or she comes out is so worth the pain we all will endure ;) good luck ladies and remember there's a pill for everything