Maternal & Child Community
8 wk ultrasound twins but 1 heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

8 wk ultrasound twins but 1 heartbeat

My first ultrasound today at 8 wk. 3 days clearly indicated twins. However, only one of them had a heartbeat. The doctor said the h/b should be visible at this time and that the one w/o a h/b is most likely not viable. However, the other one had strong h/b and appears healthy. He said the death of the other one will not effect viability of healthy one. Both were normal in size, the one w/o a h/b was just slightly smaller. Anyone who has heard of this or have any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
I have talked about this on this forum before, but will risk boring others by discussing it again.  I had two embryos with heartbeats at six weeks, and one died at about 8 weeks 4 days, we found it out for sure at the 11-week ultrasound.  The phenomenon is called "vanishing twin," and is pretty common.  It hasn't been all that well known until lately, simply because people don't always have ultrasounds that early, by the time they do, the vanished twin is gone.  But with the advent of IVF and its early & constant monitoring, they are finding out that it happens a lot.  It was a sad day for me when we found out for sure, we knew something might be happening because I had bleeding since week 6, but I had so not wanted the baby to die.  But it is a mixed feeling too, because you are being told that your other baby is doing great!  As one writer puts it, it's like going to a birthday party and a funeral all at once.  My doctor said that the body really does want to raise one baby with success, so often the weaker embryo will fade, but also it usually is something about the embryo and not anything about you that did it.  (If it were a flaw in you, both babies wouldn't make it.) Early miscarriage is also commoner than we used to know, something like two out of five early embryos don't make it, and since that is almost half, it is less surprising that one out of two twins might not make it either.  I think of the little one now, when at 31 weeks I'm being kicked in the ribs by its brother (who has passed all his tests and is determined to come into this world feisty), and I think of him or her as something like the star on the Christmas tree.  Maybe when I die I will be able to meet this little one that came for such a short time and gave us such joy even for 8 weeks, and I can find out what his or her purpose was.  I don't forget that once there were two, and while it is bittersweet, we are still so lucky.
I had the same thing happen.  Two sacs but only one heartbeat.  As Annie said it was a vanishing twin and I had IVF so that is the only reason they saw it because of the early u/s they did.  My fetus that survived is now 20 weeks and doing just fine.  Good luck w/ everything.
Hi, the "twinless twins are left-handed" thing is something that would be luck of the draw with fraternal twins (each of which has its own sac) like you had.  In other words, there is no greater probability that a fraternal twin will be left-handed; it is not a baby that came from one embryo that split, it is a sibling who happened to be in the uterus at the same time as the other baby.  (Fraternals also don't look more alike than other siblings do.)  If a twin out of a pair of identical twins, especially if they were mirror twins, were to survive and the other die, there is a greater chance of it being left-handed than the average child, because in mirror twins one is the mirror image of the other; one is right handed and the other left-handed.  I'm so glad your little girl made it and you didn't listen to the doctor.
I with my last pregnancy was pregnant with twins. I started bleeding real bad at about 6 weeks. I had a ultrasound and that
please please let me know how you got on as i find myself in the same position as you was in nov last year i had a miscarry as far as i no never had a a monthly cycle like it an i just new i had lost been bleeding a good 3 weeks now but still feel rough sore breasts sickish was worried i may need d&c that maybe my ill feelin was that it was all still there an was making me ill  so i gave my self a kick in the behind to go for the scan to see if i need the dreaded d&c an to my total amazement the nurse said yes the heartbeat is fine on one but cant see the other i was in shock an so never asked all the questions i should have i still cant quite beleive it
all i have been told is its twins in two different sacs one heartbeat an to go back in a little over a week
i am still bleeding an dont fancy an internal my biggest fear is now after all the ups an downs will the remainin one even survive im just in to my 9 week so fingers (an legs then theres no escape ha!) crossed look forward to any replys all welcome kind regards kat :) xxx
I too had the same ordeal and Annie helped me through it the same way she's helping you.  She's great!!  We had a vanishing triplet.  We saw all three heartbeats and then we didn't a couple weeks later.  Like Annie said - it was a very sad day for us, We wanted to morn the lost baby, but at the same time, we were very happy to have happy and healthy twins.  We are now almost 18 weeks with twins boys.  Hang in there - I know it is sad, but hang on and be happy for the one who is heathy and growing inside you.  I will keep you in my thoughts.
I am 8 weeks and waiting for my second ultra sound. Last week ( at 7 weeks) i went in for minor spotting and had my first ultra sound. Doc said that he seen the 2 sacs and that he seen the heartbeat in one but couldn't in the second but that it was smaller. Apperently this is quite common and it is nice to see that others are curious too! Can't wait for the next ultra sound to tell me weather or not the "other" baby survived! But my question is it common for this to happen and still have both babies born happy and healthy?
Hi, I also find myself in the same situation, I am a little over 6 weeks and had an early scan today due to a known malformation in my womb for which I have lost a pregnancy before but have since had a healthy baby daughter now 9 months.
This pregnancy was a bit of a shock but a good one and today we find it is un-identical twins but only one heartbeat could be seen so have another scan in a weeks time.
I too am interested to find out if this is common and if it can result both twins arriving healthy.

And as for the left handed thing, I think it is not related as I am also a twinless twin and Im right handed.

Cant believe this happened to my mom and now could be happening to me!

Good luck to you all hope your pregnancy's go well.

I just had an early ultrasound today. I'm at 5 weeks. Twins, Larger one with a heart beat, smaller one not yet but I am hoping when I go back that it will have developed. I have been reading all of your comments and stories. Thank you all for sharing what you have went or are going thru. It's easier when you know your not alone
Well, had second scan yesterday. And the second twin does have a heart beat. So there is hope for people who dont get to see both their twins heart beats in the first scan.
Good luck to you all. x
I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant (LMP) with fraternal twins. Twin A is measuring at 7wks 3days with a beautiful strong heartbeat while twin B is measuring at 6wks 1day with no heartbeat.  My next sono is in 2 days and we're praying twin B is alive and well! I've been searching and searching the internet for an entire week and I've read nothing but the "vanishing twin" outcome so I had become extremely discouraged until em28's response with 2 healthy babies.  I really wish more people with a different outcome would respond. I need all the encouragement I can get right now. Getting through the next 2 days before the scan is going to be hard.
I am 6 weeks pregnant with twins. The day of my exactly 6 week u/s they saw two sacs two yolk sacs and only one heart beat. The one with the h/b is larger than the other. I return on 9/18 for another u/s. I'm praying that they see two strong h/b's. Im trying not to stress my self out but its hard not knowing whats going on.
                                                                                                                                Pray for us!
HELLO LADDIES,

Thank you for taking time to post your experiences.
I am in emotional upheavals. This is my story: This is my 3rd IVF with 2nd Hubby. I am 34 & Hubby is 39. We had a healthy son 8years ago, & sine 3 years now we have been trying to give him a sibling through IVF treatments.
1st cycle: 2embryos resulting to twin pregnancy, and 6w6days positive HB of 114bpm for baby A & none for baby B. By the 8wks, baby B sac was  collapsed and almost absorbed (vanishing twin syndrome), and baby A was doing fine. 11wks scan baby A has stopped growing at 9th week, and I did D&C. 6months later, we did 2nd cycle and transfered 2embryos, but this was a failed cycle with no positive pregnancy.
3rd cycle: 02/06/12 we transferred 3 embryos because of the qualities of our 6 fertilized embryos. The remaining 3 did not make it to cryo-preserve.
TIME-LINE:
June 2nd: 3 embryos transferred.  2 grade A with 6cells & 1grade B 5cells.
15/06/12: positive pregnancy test of Beta Hcg 1800.
18/06/12: Beta HCG of 5,891.
25/06/12: 1st U/S at 5weeks. 3 different sacs and 2 with fetal poles and 1 heartbeat.
Doc told us that the 3rd small & empty sac will re-absorb within a few weeks, but he thinks that baby A & B will be fine even though he did not get any heartbeat with baby B because of it being in a weird position. He went on and told us that he didn't expect to get any heartbeat at this early stage anyway, & was just looking for what or who we are working with.
This past Friday 13/06/12: 2nd ultrasound on the 8wks, & baby A is doing great with a HB of 176.20bpm and moving around a lot, but still no heartbeat for baby B. Baby C sac is gone and Doc said it has been absorbed. Doc measured baby B sac and said is measures a bit smaller than baby A. He said that baby B sac still looks ok and is not collapsing, but could only tell hubby and I that the chance of us taking one healthy baby home in early February 2013 is very high.
Hubby and I are happy for one healthy baby, but I can't help it for not being sad for for my 2nd angel. My mom told me not to count baby B out yet.
However, each time I looked at the Friday scan, I can't help myself from cry and pray to God to help my 2nd angel.
My Hubby said he read somewhere that IVF babies sometimes do not implant the same day, and 1 might be lagging behind for as much as 5 - 6days. LADDIES! IS THIS TRUE? ANYONE OF YOU HAS HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE AS MINE AND GO ON HAVING BOTH TWINS?
Please let me know, thanks for your time in reading my long story. God's Bless to you all!
Hello Ladies,

Thank you for taking time to post your experiences here.
I am in emotional upheavals at the moment. Please bear with me, this is my story:
This is my 3rd IVF with my 2nd Hubby. I am 34 & Hubby is 39. We had a healthy son 9years ago, & sine 3 years now we have been trying to give him a sibling through IVF treatments.
1st cycle: 2 embryos resulting to twin pregnancy, and 6w6days positive HB of 114bpm for baby A & none for baby B. By the 8wks, baby B sac was  collapsed and almost absorbed (vanishing twin syndrome, I was told), and baby A was doing fine. 11wks scan baby A has stopped growing at 9th week, and I did D&C.
6 months later, we did 2nd cycle and transfered 2 embryos, but this was a failed cycle with no positive pregnancy. The 3rd cycle was a failure, too.
4th cycle: 02/06/12 we transferred 3 embryos because of the qualities of our 6 fertilized embryos. Sad to say that the remaining 3 embryo did not make it to cryo-preserve.

PRESENT TIME-LINE:
June 2nd, 2012: 3 embryos transferred.  2 grade A with 6cells & 1grade B 5cells.
15/06/12: positive pregnancy test of BETA HCG 1800.
18/06/12: BETA HCG of 5,891. (42.4hrs later).
25/06/12: 1st U/S at 5weeks. 3 different sacs and 2 with fetal poles. 1 small sac that was empty, and out of the 3 sac, 1 heartbeat.
Doc told us that the 3rd small & empty sac will re-absorb within a few weeks, but he thinks that baby A & B will be fine even though he did not get any heartbeat from baby B because of it being in a weird position.
He went on and told us that he didn't expect to get any heartbeat at this early stage with any of the 3 sacs anyway. He said he was just looking for what or who we are working with.

This past Friday 13/07/12: 2nd ultrasound on the 8wks: Baby A is doing great with a HB of 176.20bpm and moving around a lot, but still no heartbeat for baby B. Baby C sac is gone and Doc said it has been absorbed. Doc measured baby B sac and said is measures a bit smaller than baby A. He said that baby B sac still looks ok and is not collapsing yet, but could only tell hubby and I that the chance of us taking one healthy baby home in early February 2013 is very high.
Hubby and I are happy for one healthy baby, but I can't help it for not being sad for my 2nd angel. My mom told me not to count baby B out yet.
However, each time I looked at the Friday scan pictures, I can't help myself from crying and praying to God to help my 2nd angel.
My Hubby said he read somewhere on-line that IVF twins or triplets sometimes do not implant the same day. That one might be lagging behind the other for as much as 3 - 6days. LADDIES! IS THIS TRUE WITH IVF  PREGNANT OF MULTIPLES? ANYONE OF YOU HAS HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE AS MINE WITH POSITIVE PROGNOSTIC, AND GO ON HAVING BOTH TWINS?
Please let me know. Thanks for your time in reading my long story. God's Bless to you all!