8 year old daughter having ongoing problems
For almost 6 months now my daughter has been having bloody stools. The first time it happened, they said she was constipated, even though she goes to the bathroom regularly and it is never a hard stool. At fir,st it would happen every couple of weeks, now it is happening every 8 days or so and she is having really bad stomach pains with it. She has had numerous amounts of testing done and the only thing that they have found is a trace of blood in her stomach. If anyone out there has had anything similiar to this please help me, I am going insane with this and don't know what else to do!
Hi!
I can understand your concerns. Since there is blood which you can see, it is coming from the lower gut. The possible causes are hemorrhoids, anal fissures, anal infection, rectal polyps, colon polyps, diverticulosis (outpouchings from the bowel wall), inflammatory bowel disease (IBS, Crohn's, Celiac, ulcerative colitis), or dysentery.
In hemorrhoids the blood falls after the stool. In fissures it lines the stools. In all other problems the blood is mixed with stools.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral to a GI doctor or a colo-rectal surgeon. Take care!