Maternal & Child Community
83rd percentile 32 wks 4 days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

83rd percentile 32 wks 4 days

I just got back from an u/s - tech said baby is big - i'm in the 83rd % for my stage of pregnancy (32 wks, 4 days)...is this bad??  or just mean big baby??  weighing in @ almost 5 lbs already, per u/s
everything else was good, fluids perfect...she was moving like a madwoman!!
we got one decent 4d pic but she was keeping both arms and hands in front of her face...also, when she did the heartbeat it was like racing 179 and she said that was really high - then she did it again and it was only 159 - said could be due to her being so active - do you think that is okay???
any comments would be appreciated!!!
i'm scared about the big baby part cuz i'm very petite!!
thanks!!
thanks for the replies!
i guess i better get things prepared just in case i do go early!!!  i have to start washing clothes, blankets, etc.....
it is exciting!!! :)
good luck to you guys!
Your baby heart rate sounds okay--if you say she was really active during the ultrasound--they would only have concern if it stayed abnormally high or if it was really high and dropped very quickly to a dangerous level.  & weeks to go--you should be okay in the weight dept.  they usually only gain about 1/2 lb a week from here on out--put you somewhere around 8 to 81/2 lbs and also the ultrasound could be wrong onthe weight and she only weighs about 4 lbs.--so relax and enjoy your last stages of this pg. Pretty soon you will have sleepless nights and no time to your self--and a whole new set of worries will pop-such as did she drink enough, is she peeing enough.  Our job as moms just gets more difficult-but well worth everything.
How petite are you?  I know how it feels to worry about baby being too big.  Maybe you can discuss your concern to your doctor.  Ultimately, I think it's the head size that mostly affect a vaginal birth than the overall weight of a baby.  Also, it's not how petite yor are, but the ratio of your pelvis vs. the baby's head that matters.  Good luck!
I am 5'2 and was about 110 lbs before pregnancy - always been small but very athletic so hope that helps!!  i have a dr appt next thurs so hopefully she can go over the u/s with us and let us know whatever she thinks!  i'm getting excited!!!!
i remember when i first got pregnant i asked her about vaginal if i would be able to do it and she said anything over 7lbs may result in c-section....i don't know if that had to do w/the pelvis or what.....i would just like to know if so, to get myself prepared....
thanks for the input!!!