Maternal & Child Community
9 month old and temperature....please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Quick question ladies, if anyone is still up and around.....

My DS is 9 months old, was just sick a couple of weekends ago with a cold, and ear drainage (has tubes), and was told he was "teething".  He was put on ear drops and antibotics, and all seemed to have cleared up.  Yesterday he started off with a little cough, but nothing major.  It has continued into today, however, this morning he had a fever of 101.5.  I gave him Tylenol infant drops and a warm bath, but it never fully broke.  Now, it has spiked back up.  I have gave him more meds, but am wondering should a fever run that high from teething?  He is trying to cut some of the back molars.  And the two front top teeth have poked through but not completely.  He has had a little diarehhea, but I figured that was from teething.  Appetitie is good, mood is ok, a little cranky and tired but otherwise enteracts fine.  I don't remember going through this with the 5 year old and the other two are older than that so my memory is shot....LOL.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks a bunch!

Angie
No, he shouldn't have a temp that high from teething. I would guess that he has a bug. There is a lot of that going on right now....my son has a slight cold and small temp too. Just keep giving him tylenol and wait it out. I'm sure he will be fine. If the temp doesn't break after a few days it might not hurt to take him into the Dr. to make sure it's not his ears or something else.
I hope your little one starts feeling better soon!
Thank you that is what I was thinking too.  I thought that was mighty high.  His Ent doctor had gave me another prescription for antibotic (antibiotic) if the ear didn't quit draining, but after he finished up the first dose and she had cleaned and put the powder in his ear it was looking better.  I wonder if I should start him back up on that.  I will definately call his peditrician in the am.  Thank you for responding so quick!
I forgot to add, don't be alarmed if his temp goes up even more, especialy at night. It can get up to 103 without a problem. (though you should try and get it down) My daughter has had a temp of 105 before and the Dr, wasn't too concerned unless we couldn't get it down within the hour or so.
I just didn't know if you remembed or knew that a baby can handle a much higher temp than an adult, and for some reason the temps always seem to rise at night.
And when mine has high temps, our Dr. told us to give tylenol and baby ibpro to help. That has always worked great for us.
And try baby motrin or advil, I find them much better for bringing a fever down.  Tylenol just makes my ds hyper.
dds pediatrician told me to use tylenol, then 4 hours later use motrin, and keep switching until the fever is down (i was scared to do this, i didnt want to mix meds) but it really worked, she said babies can become somewhat immune to the tylenol if thats all they get everytime they have a fever
Definately go with the childrens motrin as opposed to the tylenol.  It will make a big difference.