Maternal & Child Community
9 month old and temperature....please help
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

9 month old and temperature....please help

Quick question ladies, if anyone is still up and around.....

My DS is 9 months old, was just sick a couple of weekends ago with a cold, and ear drainage (has tubes), and was told he was "teething".  He was put on ear drops and antibotics, and all seemed to have cleared up.  Yesterday he started off with a little cough, but nothing major.  It has continued into today, however, this morning he had a fever of 101.5.  I gave him Tylenol infant drops and a warm bath, but it never fully broke.  Now, it has spiked back up.  I have gave him more meds, but am wondering should a fever run that high from teething?  He is trying to cut some of the back molars.  And the two front top teeth have poked through but not completely.  He has had a little diarehhea, but I figured that was from teething.  Appetitie is good, mood is ok, a little cranky and tired but otherwise enteracts fine.  I don't remember going through this with the 5 year old and the other two are older than that so my memory is shot....LOL.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks a bunch!

Angie
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
No, he shouldn't have a temp that high from teething. I would guess that he has a bug. There is a lot of that going on right now....my son has a slight cold and small temp too. Just keep giving him tylenol and wait it out. I'm sure he will be fine. If the temp doesn't break after a few days it might not hurt to take him into the Dr. to make sure it's not his ears or something else.
I hope your little one starts feeling better soon!
Blank
151571_tn?1189759427
Thank you that is what I was thinking too.  I thought that was mighty high.  His Ent doctor had gave me another prescription for antibotic (antibiotic) if the ear didn't quit draining, but after he finished up the first dose and she had cleaned and put the powder in his ear it was looking better.  I wonder if I should start him back up on that.  I will definately call his peditrician in the am.  Thank you for responding so quick!
Blank
I forgot to add, don't be alarmed if his temp goes up even more, especialy at night. It can get up to 103 without a problem. (though you should try and get it down) My daughter has had a temp of 105 before and the Dr, wasn't too concerned unless we couldn't get it down within the hour or so.
I just didn't know if you remembed or knew that a baby can handle a much higher temp than an adult, and for some reason the temps always seem to rise at night.
And when mine has high temps, our Dr. told us to give tylenol and baby ibpro to help. That has always worked great for us.
Blank
164559_tn?1233711618
And try baby motrin or advil, I find them much better for bringing a fever down.  Tylenol just makes my ds hyper.
Blank
174483_tn?1327629077
dds pediatrician told me to use tylenol, then 4 hours later use motrin, and keep switching until the fever is down (i was scared to do this, i didnt want to mix meds) but it really worked, she said babies can become somewhat immune to the tylenol if thats all they get everytime they have a fever
Blank
Definately go with the childrens motrin as opposed to the tylenol.  It will make a big difference.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank