Maternal & Child Community
9-month old not sleeping much

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

9-month old not sleeping much

Hello all. I'm really getting desperate here and really need to get some sleep.  Please, any suggestion is absolutely welcomed.  I think my baby is sleep deprived.  He is almost 9 months now and his slepping habits are getting worse. He's now waking up every 2-3 hours at night and only taking two naps during the day which last max 45 min.  He's often fussy and hyperactive, restless and always has trouble going to sleep.  I still breastfeed him and that is pretty much the only thing that works as far as making him sleep a little. He has gotten 4 teeth already and eats solids twice a day. I give him lunch with rice, veggies and a little chicken or turkey and then a fruit with oatmeal about 2 to 3 hours before he goes to bed.  Lately, he hasn't been eating the fruit snack, though.  I pretty much nurse every time he wakes up at night, sometimes he barely eats any and goes back to sleep.  Sometimes I can't make him go back to sleep unless I put him on our bed.  He seems to sleep better there and I'm soooo tired that I'm pretty much doing whatever it works. Please, help!
Maybe its a mixture of too many solids at once that is upsetting his stomach. I would try the gas relief drops and see if that helps him settle down to sleep easier. Also baths, they have calming lotion. Good luck.
ah sounds like my bf baby.  she goes through spurts where she sleeps more and times she nurses what seems like all night.  she sleeps with us though so its there for her taking.  i have been on here too begging for the miracle answer and really the one thing that worked for me was time.  im sorry you are so tired.  maybe dh can get up with him and try to put him back to sleep occationally.  
This is what I was told by my pediatrician. At about 6 months they should be able to sleep without getting food even if they are only breastfed. They should be able to susatin at least 8 hours without milk at that age. I hat to this but we went through something simialr where our DD was waking up every few hours. We ended up sleep training and although it was difficult because no one likes to hear the baby cry, it worked with a couple of days. We even got rid of a 5am feeding because she had learned to soothe herself and go back to bed.

The way we did it is we had a routine at night and put her down. we left the room. She cried the first night for about 20-30 minutes. We went in after 5 minutes, told her we loved her and then left. We went back in after about 8 minutes. we added 3 minutes to each time....5, 8, 11 etc. After the 2nd night she maybe cried for 5 minutes. She now goes down everynight and sleeps 11-12 hours. We still ahve some difficulty with naps as our nanny was not consistent and would let her fall asleep on her but all in all no complaints. You need sleep and so does your baby.

Good luck. I am sure this will get resolved.
well, first off, no children want to sleep.  they are here in this new, big, awesome world and it's constant learning and excitement, thrills for them so, of course they don't want to sleep.  

"I pretty much nurse every time he wakes up at night, sometimes he barely eats any and goes back to sleep.  Sometimes I can't make him go back to sleep unless I put him on our bed.  He seems to sleep better there and I'm soooo tired that I'm pretty much doing whatever it works."
--your baby needs to learn to self soothe.  instead of jumping up everytime he calls (especially in the middle of the night), it's time to let him learn to fall back asleep or do whatever (yes, crying) until he feels comfortable on his own
i nursed my son for two years and it was b/c i didn't know any better really.  he literally used me (for a pacifier in the middle of the night) and took advantage of me (as a pacifier in the middle of the night) and had me a walking, grumpy nightmare for that second year.  not that i would dare bash breastfeeding, but you may want to consider cutting out the middle of the night feedings and putting baby in bed w/ you as this stuff only lingers around forever or gets worse.  subsequently, i did not breastfeed my daughter long at all and trained her to go to sleep in her own bed -never mine- from infancy.  good luck
I am sure that your son is sleep-deprived, as you say.  He should be getting 14 hours of sleep in 24 hours, however he does it (at night or in naps).

I have tried the suggested approach of letting my son cry, and all that happened was that he cried literally all night with a few 20-minute sleeps folded uncomfortably and miserably over on his knees.  It was awful, and he looked in the morning like someone had worked him over -- his face was all puffy and red and mottled.  I would never do it again.  He now sleeps by us in a twin bed that is pushed up against our queen bed.  That works perfectly, but he is now 2 so is obviously well ready for that.  I intend over time to just push the bed away, and then to put him in it in his own room, but we are in no hurry.  (If you worry about your sleeping child, it is much easier to monitor him in your own room.)

Nursing in the night is much, much easier if the baby is in your bed.  If you can do it without getting too nervous that you will roll onto the baby in your sleep, I would definitely try it.  The baby can nurse with both of you side-lying, and once he is latched on, you can actually sleep.  They do grow out of it and sleep for longer periods.

A good stomach soother (if you think the problem is gas) is infant probiotics, which is the active ingredient in live-culture yogurt.  It can be found at health-food stores or even at grocery stores that have a healthy-lifestyle approach.  It helps set up the baby's gut to digest foods more appropriately; in scientific testing has been found to do better than Mylicon.

As for the amount your son eats, to get him to nurse larger amounts, try tickling his feet or under his arms.  That wakes him up and stimulates his nursing response.

In the daytime, if you want some nice, 2-hour naps, try the classics, sleeping in the bouncy chair by (not on top of) the dryer while it is on, or sleeping in the carseat while you take an endless drive somewhere.  

Do what works for you, and as Dr. Sears says, if you are resenting something, change it.  But if resentment is not in the picture (I notice for some writers it is present and for others it is not), just keep trying various things.  There is nothing wrong with doing what works even if it seems odd to take the baby for a car ride to get him to sleep or whatever.

Good luck!!!!!

anniebrook said it perfectly!!
Thank you all for the suggestion. Yes, the let him cry tecnique does not work for him either.  He gets progressively more and more irritated.  I feel guilty for letting him sleep in my bed but I am hopeful that things will change some day and he will just be fine. Thank you all!
I think your baby sounds totally normal for a bf baby (at least he sounds exactly how my daughter was)!!!!!!!!!  my dd woke up twice per night until about 10 months old.  I was a zombie and getting very snappy with my dh!  Her pediatrician basically said the problem was with me and that when I stopped responding at night she would stop waking, and also that both myself and my baby really needed to get more sleep at night.  I know this is not true of all infants but it was very true for mine.  She would still be waking today if I was still responding.  It is very hard to do but it may not be as bad as you expect.  I was very surprised at how easy it was for my daughter to sleep through the night - I just had to let her try!!!  Do whatever you feel comfortable with though and what you won't regret later!  Your son will be fine no matter what you decide!  I hope you get some more sleep!!  Best of luck!
My son is the exact same age and has the same problem! I can't let him cry it out either (mostly because I hate to hear him cry, I'm a sucker =) because he gets hysterical with in the first three minutes. He sleeps in my bed for the most part and it's pretty miserable because I wake up frequently with him. I don't have any suggestions, other than I feel your pain and good luck!
Ava often does the same thing.

I wouldn't want to go the entire night without a drink if I get thirsty.... that is what I tell her Daddy,.  =)
My downfall was when I started sleeping over at Ava's aunts some weekends.  When we statyed there I let Ava sleep with me and she wanted to nurse all night long.  When I get her back here she will sleep in her own bed without any problems but will wake during the night becasue that is what she did at her aunts house when we stayed there.  At first I was jumping up at her first wimper but then decided to let her cry to see if she would go back to sleep, and magically most of the time she did go back to sleep.  I never let her cry more than 5 minutes at a time.    

It is easy to just let them sleep with you, but I have a big problem with kids sharing the bed.  I want my bed free for my fiance' and I.  I want that time with him.  That is why I keep it consistant with Ava at home, unless she is sick she sleeps in her own bed.  
my son was the same way. there were nights i felt like i nursed him all night. because i would kind of fall asleep too and wake up with my boob hanging out while he was asleep right next to it! lol. but i did the same thing ~ brought him in our bed. thought i never would. but he gradually grew out of the nightly bfing (he's 2 now & i stopped nursing @ 1). he still naps great, bedtime is so much easier now, we just put him in his crib and he goes off, BUT he does wake up once a night and i grab him and bring him in our bed. i know many ppl would prob disagree with this but it works for us. we tried the cry it out method a few times when he was younger. i couldn't do it! and i have no regrets about it now. he will eventually grow out of coming in our bed too. do whatever works for you & feel comfortable doing it! and try not to dwell on it and think he "should" be doing this and he "should" be doing that. every child is different & what works for 1 may not work for the other. once i accepted that my son was sleeping in our bed we all got a better night's sleep. i hope this makes sense and helps.
my son has the same sleeping habits. he was born a preemie . even after we brought hin home at 3 months he never slept .15 min power naps . right to this day hes going to be 2 in jan and stilldoesnt nap all day wakes up ever 2 hours crying . ive tried the crying it out method. didnt work... hes been sleeping with me since he he came home at3 months....cuz of the breatheing and lung problems he was born with i was afraid to sleep without him and now he honeslty doesnt sleep ever.... help