Maternal & Child Community
9-month old starts sleeping on her stomach. I'm worried about SID...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

9-month old starts sleeping on her stomach. I'm worried about SIDS, sudden infant death syndrome.

My 9-month old girl started sleeping on her stomach the past few days.  I'm freaking out because she'd turn back on her stomach no matter what I do.  I'm worried about the risk of SIDS.  Should I not give her a blanket and take out everything from the crib to avoid suffocation?
That is a hard one.  I have put my daughter to sleep on her side since she was about 2 months old - now 4 months.  But I have one of those sleep positioners so she cant roll over.  A 9 month old is too old for those so I am not sure what you can do but my favorite baby gadget (movement sensor) that goes under the mattress may help ease your mind at night.  It is an alarm that will sound if it does not detect movement after 20 seconds.  I know it works because if you take the baby out of the crib and forget to turn it off it goes off.  So if "God Forbid" the worst did happen you would be warned in time to help your baby.  Babies R Us carries it
Take out everything from the crib (including bumper), except the blanket (unless she wears pjs to bed that will keep her comfy). Can she roll back over to her back on her own?

My baby doens't move every 20 seconds.  Does that mean a motion sensor would beeps even when she's sleeping?

Yes, she can roll around.  But I often find her face right against the bed and she still continues sleeping as if it doesn't bother her.  It bothers me to see her face smashes against the mattress.
I agree, its a hard choice. I would make sure to take the blanket out too then. Turn the baby monitor up so you can listen for her at night, it makes for a long night but you'll eventually get comfortable that she's ok.

Yes the monitor would sound when she was sleeping.
The motion sensor picks up the heartbeat(breathing).  If she was to obstruct her breathing while sleeping and stop the alarm would go off after 20 seconds.  It is the best piece of mind baby gadget out there.  look it up on www.babiesrus.com It will def help you sleep better.  
My youngest was a stomach sleeper as a baby--that is the only way he would sleep---they say the chances of SIDS goes down much more when they can pick their heads up and they are able to roll over..Just take the bumper pads out and any stuffed toys--also make sure your matteress is very firm and the sheet is pulled tight.
AT nine months old the risk of SIDS drops dramatically, actually after about 6 mos when most late bloomers can roll over the risk drops. If your baby is rolling herself onto her belly, chances are you have little to worry about. The biggest concern is placing babies to sleep on their belly when they are very young and unable to lift their heads or roll.
My sister who is director of a neonatal obstectrics unit told me that "they" used to worry about babies sleeping on their back, and over the last so many years it was their stomach. My dd slept on her back bc i was worried about sids, but everytime my sister took her she layed her on her stomach. i agree too that if you take the bumper pads stuffed animals and pillows out of the crib and make sure the mattress is firm (sheet tight) she should be just fine.

honostly i think the reason my sister layed dd on her stomach is bc she would sleep all night if she was on her stomach. oh it used to make me sooooo mad!
My kids would prefer to sleep on their stomach's from about 4 months on. They would be placed in a wedge on their side and then wiggle to their tummies. It was probably safer just to start them out on their stomach's and not worry about the wedge! I would dress them warmly and removed the bumper pad. They were much more secure and it got rid of their gas easier on their stomachs. Best wishes.
They say once they are strong enough to turn...then they are strong enough to pick their head up it they can't breath....
i too was VERY nervous and would check on my dd ever 2 min.....BUT....you really can't and shouldn't do anything about it...
i stated giving me dd a blanket during nap time at round 9-10 months..and of course she is attached to it now and it bring her comfort...that being said...she pulls it over her head during her sleep...and that drives me nuts....of course i move it right away...but again....she is old enough to move it and realize if  she us having difficulty breathing...
all in all...your baby is going to be fine.....
give it a week...you will be too.....
she's old enough to be sleeping on her stomach.  DD slept on her tummy from 6 months on.  Now, the second I put her in the crib, she turns on her stomach.  
I agree that she is old enough to sleep on her stomach if that's what she prefers. The incidence of SIDS is mainly up to 6 months of age.