Maternal & Child Community
9 month old with foot turned out when walking
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

9 month old with foot turned out when walking

Has anyones child or have they seen a child that has a turned out foot when they walk?  Like it goes pretty good to the side and he drags it most of the time.  Sometimes he picks it up but not too often.  And when you try to make him walk with it straight he just cries like it is hurting him.  Can anyone help me out?  Is this normal?  He goes tomorrow for his 9 month check-up but I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about this?  I am VERY WORRIED that he will need a cast or brace or something.

Please help.

Thanks girls!

Steph
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
93532_tn?1349374050
Definitely demonstrate this for the doctor tomorrow. It doesn't sound typical for a child who is walking independently to react this way or drag their foot.
Blank
Well he is not independantly walking yet.  He walks behind one of those toys and holding your hands.  Since he isnt doing it on his own, do you think its normal then?  I just dont and I am worried for him.  My oldest has spina bifida occulta (we found this out last year)...so I dont know if this is a sympto or something...>I have all sorts of things running through my head!
Blank
I agree with Andi. Does he show any other signs of weakness on the same side of his body?
Blank
No he doesnt show any other weakness.  He cralws around like a madman (he does the army crawl) its just when he walks that his foot goes out.  Its his right foot btw.
Blank
No he doesnt show any other weakness.  He cralws around like a madman (he does the army crawl) its just when he walks that his foot goes out.  Its his right foot btw.
Blank
93532_tn?1349374050
I would still definitely bring it up tomorrow. Your doc will surely want to know about this.
Blank
Did you ever find out what was the matter?  My 15 month old is having the same problem with the same foot.  We noticed it when he first started pulling up and walking behind things.  He walks on his own now, but we noticed his right foot still turning out and dragging and it causes him to fall A LOT!  We just had him at the doctor on Tuesday and x-rays were done yesterday, but still waiting to hear back.  Curious if you ever found out anything.  Thanks.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...