Maternal & Child Community
9 yr old chronic stomach pains

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

9 yr old chronic stomach pains

Somebody please help me.  My 9 year old son has had chronic stomach pains since the day before Thanksgiving.  He is in severe pain and is suffering.  We have been seeing a specialist for about 3 yrs now for his stomach.  He recently had an secondy endoscopy done and an upper and lower berium g.i. which showed nothing.  everytime he eats the pain gets worse.  he has also been tested for the h. poloryi and to see how fast his stomach emptys out after eating.  He is missing a lot of school time and i am at my wits end.  I feel so helpless not being able to do anything for him.  His specialist last word was to send him to a pain clinic to help him deal with the pain.  I can't believe that they can not find the cause of his pain.  There has got to be more test or something more that we can do.  He has been on 40 mg. of Nexium for over a year and now is taking 80mg of it.  The doctor will give him nothing for pain.  Please suggest something more that we may try or maybe someone else we could take him to see that specializes in this field.

Thank you

Andrea Kidd
Andrea, I'm so sorry to hear about your son!  Although I don't have any answers, I ~do~ have one suggestion.  On MedHelp, there's another forum called "Gastroenterology", and there might be someone on there with more info that could help your son.  Good luck and God bless!
As a child, I missed a lot of school in the sixth grade due to stomach issues. My folks had been divorced for 10 years, but were battling over custody of me, my older step brother was making my life hell and I was very stressed out. My step mother thought I was faking it until one day she came home from work and found vomit all over her house. I was rushed to the ER and the simple dx was gastric ulcers and one that had perforated. Given all the work-ups your son has had, the certainly would have seen this by now.

I am assuming he has been to a gastroenterologist and I am also assuming it was one who specialized in pediatrics. I can offer no further suggestions other than what they have indicated, take him to a pain management doctor. Have you ruled out psychosomatic causes for his pain? Stress level, underlying psychological trauma, etc. Sometimes if the doctors can't find a definitive medical reason, there may be a psychological reason for the presentation of symptoms.

Andrea
just curious but you say that the pain is worse after he eats??

have you tried a food diary to see if there maybe isn't something all his food has in common, like a preservative in common or a dye added to the food.

a friend of mine is allergic to the natural iodine in red meat....when she was a child she would get the same pains after eating...made her very sick and she lost a lot of weight before they finally figured out what the common denominator was.

just a suggestion
~nanci