Maternal & Child Community
9.5 weeks no fetal pole and no heartbeat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hi I am 9.5 weeks and from my 7th week the u/s shows no fetal pole and no heartbeat.  Today I had another sono as I have one every week, with same results.  My gestational sac has grown from last week 25mm to 33mm.  My pregnancy hormone level 2weeks ago 32k, 1week ago 26k, and today 12k.  I am told this is a sure miscarry.  I want it to happen naturally, even though I have been going thru this torture for 3 weeks.  I have had absolutely no bleeding throughout the pregnancy and have no bleeding now.  The Dr.s say it is my option to wait or have a D&C.  I am going to The Ann Wigmore Health Institute in Puerto Rico, for 4 weeks, to detox and cleanse my system (from fertility drugs and probing) before trying to get pregnant again.  We conceived at the fertility center (IUI).  I am scheduled to leave on Dec. 19th, and I'm afraid to miscarry in Puerto Rico, fear of complicatins.  What do you think?  I need some support.  I am 41 and have no children yet.  This is my first pregnancy and expected miscarriage.  If I miscarry on my own can I handle it alone?  Please share your thoughts and experiences.  Thank you.

Berni2
I'm sooooo sorry.  I know that doesn't make it any better, but almost all of us have experienced a miscarriage at least once.  I had the d&c at 12 weeks.  Discovered no baby at 10 weeks and my body still didn't want to believe it.  I never spotted or anything.  My dr said i could carry well into my 4th-5th months before my body might finally figure it out.  I waited for 2 weeks and nothing, so had the d&C.  Personally I can't imagine passing all of that.  It would just break my heart!!!  The d&c was quick and clean.  I bled after but not clots or anything weird.  With you traveling, I would for sure do the d&c.  Sometimes after a m/c you don't pass it all and still have to have the d&c.. you don't want to risk infection.

Again, I'm so sorry.  Your baby will come.  Have faith ;)  momttc
I am so sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage four weeks ago. I was 8 weeks along. I chose to wait for the natural miscarriage, seeing as there are more possibillities of complications and scar tissue with a D and C. Sometimes it's harder to have another baby once you've had one done...but sometimes it IS necessary. My miscarriage was like this:  It started with light spotting and light period-like cramping. The bleeding and cramping got heavier ( althought the cramping was never worse than a bad period) until it started coming very heavily. I started passing tissue (the actual passing of the tissue was totally painless) until i later passed something the size of a very small plum....that was the embryo and the sac and the placenta, etc. That was also not painful. The cramping and bleeding got better immediately. Anyways...there is a SMALL chance of complications and of course you need to have an ultrasound done after the MC to make sure your body passed everything. Could you do that soon afterwards if you went to puerto Rico? Good luck and I am so sorry. You will get through this.
Thank you so much Ladies for your insight.  I appreciate it.  Best wishes and health with your recovery and future pregnancy.
Bernie,

I'm so sorry that you have been going through this.  You might want to visit this web-site.  It has some helpful info regarding situations like yours and also on natural miscarriage.  I wish you the best.  I'm curious what you do for the detox?  I lost my baby over 1 1 /2 yrs. ago and would like to do something like that.  Thanks.
I went through 4 mc by myself at home.  They are not painful but I didn't want a d/c.  I am 41 and was told the fetus had died...I didn't want to walk around feeling like a coffin so I took black cohosh and it caused the tissue to pass.  It is horrible and I feel for you hopefully everything will be fine and you will go on try try again.
Hangin In,

How horrible what you had to go through with your last miscarriage.  I know that in extreme cases such as  yours, a D&C may be needed.  Thank you for sharing your experience.  I wonder if you have a hemmoraging placenta?  At the web-site I mentioned, there is a gal named Bonzomom who had a similiar experience as you but ended up having her baby.  I wish you the best with this pregnancy and that you don't have to go through any more experiences.  It amazes me what us women have to endure.  I guess it is Eve's curse?  Yikes!  Take care!!!!
P.S.  Hanging In there,

If you get an ultrasound soon, I would have the doctor double check your cervix while doing the u/s just to make sure the depth of it is okay for this pregnancy.  If the depth is not good, the doctor can put in a stitch to make sure you don't lose this pregnancy in your second trimester.  This helps to prevent an incompetent cervix.  Sometimes with second trimester D&C's the cervix can be thinned and create problems.  I wish you the best and really hope that this pregnancy sticks!
I have a 2.5 year old son and I am happily married. However, we have had 3 m/c's in the last 2 years trying for another one. I never had a speck of blood with my son ... it was a pretty cruisy pregnancy really and we concieved within the first couple of 'tries'. Then we had 2 miscarriages in a row - but these happened so early in the pregnancy that I hadn't had the chance to 'feel preg.' and they were like exceptionally painfull and heavy menstrual bleeding. The cramps were crippling - but nature did it's job well and I recovered quickly. The 3rd m/c was the worst. Found out I was pregnant and did everything by the book, cutting no corner's. Saw an awesome fetal heart beat at 7 weeks via ultrasound and was told that 95% of pregnancies progress to term where the heart beat has been sited in an ultra sound. Went home and life went on ... I even had a due date!

I got out of the shower and noticed the tiniest bit of blood on the towel after drying you-know-where. After I cleaned myself up there was no more bleeding but I went to ER cos I wanted an ultrasound ... hey, I'd lost 2 already and blood is not good - right? They had be guzzle a heap of H2O and whipped me off for an ultrasound ... I was supposed to be 15 weeks pregnant.

"There is no fetal heartbeat, I'm sorry." The ultra sound was haunting. Slumped at the bottom of the gestational sac was my dead unborn child. They measured the fetus and said that it had died at approx. 8-9weeks of age. I wanted to know how I could have a dead fetus inside me and not bleed for well over a month and they couldn't answer me ..."That happens sometimes and we call that a missed abortion or late miscarriage." I went home, hoping to let nature do it's job but ended up ambulanced to hospital haemoragging badly and in shock. I had not passed any fetal material - but was loosing clots the size of large lemons. I had an emergency d&c (which I had hoped to avoid) and then went home only to become gravely ill with infection. I was booked in for another d&c (for the same preg.) as an ultrasound revealed that there were reatained products of conception. Heaps of antibiotics later and no period for 6 months I was finally ready to think about 'trying again'.

I am now 8 weeks pregnant and have had one gush of blood that disappeared as quickly and suddenly as it came. This happened at 4-5 weeks and I have not bled since! I think I still have symptoms of pregnancy (sore boobs, weird cravings and moody) but these things are hard to know for sure as I still had morning sickness during the period my fetus was deceased - so what do symptoms really tell us???

I share your pain - although I am lucky to have at least been blessed with my healthy, happy, vibrant son. It must be awful to loose your first pregnancy.  They say 1 in 5 pregnancies will end in m/c and that most women will experience this at some point in their reproductive lives. I also know that if you have only had one m/c - your chances are as high as they were before the m/c that you will carry a healthy baby to term.  There's not a lot that can be said to reassure you at the moment and well meaning loved one's are going to say some stupid things that they think will reassure you.

If you want support please email me privately and I will be more than happy to be there for you (so you don't have to be as alone as I was) as I know how terrible this feels.

***@****

Take care - and if you clot really badly you may have to end up having a d&c (I didn't want to, either!)
Sorry for your lost.  Thank you for the support and suggestion of Black cohosh tea.  How much did you take and for how long?
you may email me at ***@****.  Was it the loose herb or the liquid in a tincture?  I can't wait to get it.  Right now I'm doing accupunture and will begin chinese herbs.

Accupunture is also good for infertility and preventing m/c.  Thats what I've been told.

Thanks again.
Sorry for your lost.  Thank you for your support.  If you would like to cleanse/ detox.  Look up Ann Wigmore Health Institute.

You can also go to www.hippocratesinst.com  they are extremely expensive, but you are worth it.  Ann Wigmore Health Institute is way less expensive.  I went to Hippocrates West Palm Beach, Fl. in 2002 for 3weeks.  2003 I went to Miami for 3weeks and did my own thing (followed the diet to the letter), stayed close to an organic health food supermarket (wholefoods.  Along with the diet there is a wealth of education given.  The best things you could learn about your body, nature, foods, and more.

The concept is wheatgrass, wheatgrass, wheatgrass, and all raw organic green veggies, and sprouts (no alfalfa), ennemas, colonics and green drinks (celery, sprouts, cucumber) almost anything green juiced.  3 weeks minimum, thats how long it takes for your cells to remember.  Dr. Ann Wigmore is the founder of Hippocrates Health Institute.  If you can go away and do this you will feel your absolute best. (living foods concept) We all need to do this for our bodies with all the toxins in foods, meats, the environment etc. etc. etc. I'm Off to Ann Wigmore Health Institute for 4 weeks in Puerto Rico.  Other institutes and wellness centers follow Dr. Ann Wigmores program.  Best of all I have a wonderful husband of 14 years who support my trips.
I am wondering if my doctor is jumping the gun...At my 6 week appointment we saw a sac with NO fetal pole or heartbeat.  5 days later had an ultrasound at the hospital and again No fetal pole or heartbeat.  The measured the sac to be @ 6 weeks 5 days.  My blood work was increasing from 22817 to 26914 (48 hours apart) but not doubling as it should.  It is Saturday and they have me scheduled for a D&C on Wednesday.  COULD THEY BE WRONG ???
hi! Thank you for sharing your story. i'm on my 9 weeks and i had my u/s last friday. there was a fetal pole seen but the size was 5 mm, according to the sono there was no sac found. i have light spotting I don't want to undergo d & C yet. if this is a another mc, this is already my second time. I'm still hoping that some developments will occur.

hope1903
Ok Here's my story. I had the "feeling" so when I was late I took a pregnancy test Positive!! I was thrilled! Went to the Dr.on monday told I was about 6 weeks. Did everything by the book. Not alot of symtoms (symptoms) though. Only really tired. On Friday I started spotting, On Saturday I was bleeding very baddly and passing clots, I went to the ER and they  first did a abdomonal U/S with just a little machine they had in the ER. He said he thought he could see something but it wasnt clear, so they called in the U/S Tech and wheeled me down to U/S she did a transvaginal U/S. She said she didnt see anything. So I went to My Dr on Monday for a quanitative HCG to make sure my levels were "falling off" like they should. Welll  my Dr. called today and to her and MY surprise the levels have doubled I was 3600 in the hospital and 7500 monday 48 hours later! I am still bleeding but have NEVER CRAMPED! So now she wants me to come back in tomorrow(Wednesday ) to check my levels again and do another U/S. Its all very confusing emotionally. She said she dosent want to give me false hope but something is up.  So needless to say I am ssooo confused. Now heres the even weirder part this same thing happened to my mother she was pregnant and had a miscarriage and low and behold she was still was pregnant and carried him full term.
Ok Here's my story. I had the "feeling" so when I was late I took a pregnancy test Positive!! I was thrilled! Went to the Dr.on monday told I was about 6 weeks. Did everything by the book. Not alot of symtoms (symptoms) though. Only really tired. On Friday I started spotting, On Saturday I was bleeding very baddly and passing clots, I went to the ER and they  first did a abdomonal U/S with just a little machine they had in the ER. He said he thought he could see something but it wasnt clear, so they called in the U/S Tech and wheeled me down to U/S she did a transvaginal U/S. She said she didnt see anything. So I went to My Dr on Monday for a quanitative HCG to make sure my levels were "falling off" like they should. Welll  my Dr. called today and to her and MY surprise the levels have doubled I was 3600 in the hospital and 7500 monday 48 hours later! I am still bleeding but have NEVER CRAMPED! So now she wants me to come back in tomorrow(Wednesday ) to check my levels again and do another U/S. Its all very confusing emotionally. She said she dosent want to give me false hope but something is up.  So needless to say I am ssooo confused. Now heres the even weirder part this same thing happened to my mother she was pregnant and had a miscarriage and low and behold she was still was pregnant and carried him full term.  HELP!!
my name is Danielle I was told two days ago my baby has no heart beat   I am 12 weeks and the babys sack is still the size of  a six weeks sack....this means my baby has been dead inside me for weeks my boobs still hurt I have no bleeding and my heart is broken could they be wrong or is this just wishful thinking
I am 7 weeks 4 days prego have pcos and concived thru clomid and iui. Went for ultrasound and no heart beat or fetal pole. I was taking progestrone suppliments. my levels have gone up but the doctors say that this won't be a sucessful pregancy. Has this ever happened to anyone. I am just praying and hoping that it may just be a little slow?