Maternal & Child Community
A Few Different Questions about Miscarriage and D&C

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

On 6/15 I had my first ultrasound for my baby. I just barely got done saying, "Please give me lots of pictures for daddy." When I looked up on the screen and didn't see a baby. I saw just a fetal pole in the sac. My measurements were only saying 6 weeks and 6 days. However, I was charting, taking my temp, using ovulation tests, the works. So I knew when my LMP was which was 3/16. I was supposed to be exactly 13 weeks. My doctor told me that she was pretty sure I was going to miscarry. I was devestated and still am. I never thought I wasn't going to see a baby on that screen. So today which is 6/18 I have officially started to bleed light pink. The baby definitley stopped growing and now my body is miscarrying. With that being said I am going to the docs on in two days where we are discussing a D & C.

So I am wondering first if the doc will give me a D & C if I have already started bleeding? I really want this as it will make sure everything is expelled and that I don't have to go through the pain of bleeding and cramping at home. And the biggest part if I pass the baby. This is something I don't want to see.

Also if I do have the D & C, when would it be alright to have sex? I am not worried really about how long I have to wait as long as I don't ovulate. I would like to TTC again right away. Thinking your prego for over 3 months and then having that ripped away is a hard pill to swallow. I want a baby so bad. So I am going to start charting immediately that way I can watch my body. I am assuming when I ovulate which could be anywhere from 2 weeks after to 6 weeks after it would be okay to have intercourse. What do you think? I mean if I ovulate that means that my HcG levels are below 5 and that I'm not bleeding anymore. I just don't want to get an infection after the procedure and have to wait longer to TTC. So I am thinking that if I ovulate then my body should be ready...wasn't sure if this sounded crazy?

Sorry such a long post and more than one question, but my doc isn't that great. She makes the right decisions, but doesn't explain things well. So I will definitely be switching OB's....Thanks for your help...

So sorry to here of your loss I have had 2 MC I lost twins and a single and I lost one baby when I was pregnant with my twins (they were triplets) But yes he will still do a D&C after bleeding.  I didn't get a D&C after my first one but did after my second and the way my Dr explained it to me was it was kinda like mowing the lawn they go in and smooth it all out and get rid of anything left over even after bleeding and making your uterus nice and smooth for and new pregnancy to implant.  And I think I was told to wait like 1 week before intercourse.  And you are not crazy to want to TTC right away I to wanted to and 3 months later was pregnant and they stuck my twins will be 2next month,  Oh and you should O just like normal probably 2 weeks after you MC at least I did you just count the MC as AF. Good luck and I'm soooo sorry about your loss I hate to say I know your pain all to well.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my question...It was such a long post that I didn't think anybody would bother.

You have given me so much hope! and yes I know that everyone is different and it might take me longer, but I am just hoping that it doesnt. I just have so many mixed feelings. It makes it so much harder to because my son Cole passed away due to SIDS at 4 months 4 days old last year. I just keep thinking that maybe I'm not meant to have any more children. After my son passed me and my DF decided that we would like to have another baby especially since we had planned on having more children anyways. So we started TTC March of this year and got pregnant with this baby the very first cycle trying! I was sooo estatic because that doesn't happen all the time. And I figured it was meant to be. Then when I went for the ultrasound and saw just the fetal pole I was horrified. I just keep getting these crazy thoughts that it isn't meant to be even though it probably is. But you probably know what I mean. When things like this happen you can't help but to think bad things.

So it sounds like you were explaining the DC where they scrape your uterus. My doc actually said that they would be using a tube that would actually suck all of the tissue out. Honestly, I don't think I would allow this doc to scrape my uterus because I don't feel like I trust her. Shes making all of the right steps but it is the way that she talks to me that I don't like. I wanted to make an appt with another doc but since I started to actually bleed today I figure there's no saving anything in these circumstances.

Well since I've never had fertility problems before and the longest its taken me to get preg is 9 months I am hoping that I get preg right off. No one can actually say if they will or won't but at least I can have something to try and focus on and look forward too. I hope I stop bleeding right off and then ovulate. I figure I will start opking after I stop bleeding I just want to make sure that if I do O then I won't miss it! I won't assume anything! Well thank you again and its nice to really talk with someone else who has gone through the same things and hear of good things!
Hello, I just read your post.  My heart goes out to you.  my husband had the same thing happen to use in Oct of 09.  We had to have a DnC as well.  It was not all that painful physically.  The part that hurt the most was wanting to get it over with.  After the procedure the doctors said not to have intercoasre for 2-6 weeks.  Most women are very fertile after the procedure.  We had intercoarse two weeks after and got pregnant again.  However, my uterus was not strong enough after procedure to carry the baby so we lost that one too.  I passed that one naturally.  It was both painful physical and metnal.  My husband have decided to try again.  I will keep you in my thoughts!  Hang in there.  
First let me say that I am sorry you are having to go through this.I have had 2 miscarriages-1 natural and 1 d & c.  I would have to say that if you are bleeding, your doctor can monitor your to make sure your body expels everything.  It's much safer and easier on your body to let it do it naturally and to avoid a d & c if you can.  D & C carries risks, including damage to the uterus, although it's very rare, it's still a possibility.  A d & c is basically where they go in and scrape the uterus clean.  It IS a surgical procedure.  

I know that after my d & c it took me a year to conceive again, but after my natural miscarriage I conceived on the 3rd cycle.  It really just depends on your body. Many women find it much easier to conceive right after a miscarriage (either natural or d&c) while others still take awhile.