Maternal & Child Community
AFP Screening

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

AFP Screening

I am considering having the AFP testing, but I just wanted to get some feedback before hand.  I know that it has a high rate of false +, but I would like to have it done to get some peace of mind.  Have any of you chosen to have this test done and had a false positve?  If so, did your Dr. do further testing to verify or do you just have to wait it out?  I would just like to hear some experiences some of you have had with this test.  Thanks!
I have not had this test done yet but I have decided to have it performed. I am currenlty 15weeks and go in tomorrow. I like you am doing it more for peace of mind. How old are you??? I am 31.
I am also nervous but I guess 90-95% for my age come back as normal.
I am 26. I chose not to with my first pg, which sadly ended in  a late m/s at 20 weeks so I have just been so worried and paranoid about everything.  I just want to have this done to give me some reassurance (hopefully).  I am currently 15 weeks 3 days.  Mine will be next week.  I certainly wish you all the best!
This is my first pregnancy and decided not to have it done because of its high false positive rate. i just didnt want to worry my whole pregnancy you know?
I had the test and it came out fine for me, I'm 28 years old. I also have a close friend who had the test with her first pregnancy when she was 25 years old and it had a false positive.Her and her husband were pretty worried at the time, after they got the positive, they had a level 2 u/s which looked completely normal (head measurements etc), their doctor also gave them the further option of doing an amnio. They decided not to do the amnio (there are some risks involved in doing it, which have to be weighed) since the u/s looked normal, they just wanted to wait it out. I think the Amnio is pretty certain to get more accurate results if you would get a false positive on an earlier test.
...my friends' baby was born completely healthy and is 3 years old right now. There really are a lot of false positives on that test. They had also decided after that experience not to have the test done in future pregnancies because of all the stress it caused them for nothing.
I really looked into the test before I had it and I decided that if it was positive I would wait it out because of all the false positives.
My test came back with really good results, I joke with my partner that I have the body of an 18 year old, the results were very comforting for me.
However if you do get a positive you will be offered a thorough scan before anything indusive is done.
hugs
I've had it in all of my pregnancies and have never had an inaccurate result.
There aren't "false positives" in this test.
All it does is check for your risk.  Just because your risk is higher (a positive on the test) doesn't mean there is a problem.  Just like if you get a negative result, you can still have a child with a birth defect or problem.  Also, a "positive" can be a sign of problems later on.  Like with the placenta, for example.

I did this test, though I was nervous to. I have not gotten the results back.  My doctor will only call if it comes back positive.  

I thought long and hard about it, but given that a positive result means more monitoring of the pregnancy to make sure everything is OK I decided to do it.  

Good luck with your decision.  It is a difficult one to make.  If you think it will cause nothing but worry I would suggest skipping it.  Though, my doctor highly recommended it.
Thanks for all your respones ladies.  I'm quite sure I will go ahead and have the test done.  I would just like to know either way!