Maternal & Child Community
Abdominal bloating in early pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Abdominal bloating in early pregnancy

Good morning ladies.

My LMP was April 6 and I test BFP on May 4th...

I have just started feeling icky, but not sure if it is MS or from digestive problems.

I have battled constipation on and off...and last fall when I was preggo (ended in MC) the constipation was gone.

This time I seemed to be pretty regular too.  Then last Mon/Tues I had some diarrhea and then the constipation returned -- along with feeling completely nauseated.

In addition, if I totally relax my stomach muscles, I look 4 months pregnant!  I've had a couple of kids (one by c-section) and I know my stomach muscles are not what they once were...

I had a period in April, but didn't really pay attention to how long/heavy it was...

So what I'm wondering is -- do you think I'm just bloated (pregnancy/constipation) or perhaps further along than I originally thought?

Has anyone (especially anyone who has other kids) looked soooo pregnant so early on (I should be about 6w3d)?

Or, has anyone looked sooo pregnant in early pregnancy from digestive/constipation problems?

I go to my doctor for my first prenatal and first US next week.

I'm not really telling anyone I'm pregnant for a while, mostly b/c of my mc last time, but it's getting hard to hide.

I'd love to hear any and all experiences with this!  Thanks for all your help!!!
I am 8 wks pregnant with twins and I've been REALLY bloated since about 5 weeks.  I have had extreme nausea and stomach upset since about then, too.  I am battling constipation and trying to sneak Benefiber into everything I eat or drink.  I think my nausea/stomach upset is a combination of m/s and constipation.  I'm a Prometrium so that is not helping anything.  

When do you go to the dr. for your first appt?  I had a m/c last time so my dr. scheduled an ultrasound as soon as the heartbeat would be detectable (6 1/2 weeks).  We found out then we were having twins, which explains why my m/s has been so bad and why I was already pooching out.  I'd call your dr. and ask about all that and just see what they say.

Good luck with everything!
i am having twins. my belly bloated with them. it was hard at the top and poofed out. that's just bloating, which is a part of pregnancy. even with twins(like myself) they are still in your pelvis so early on.

now that i am about 5 months along my belly is about the same size. lol. but now it's actually babies.

the bloating just happens.
Thanks for your reply...congrats on twins!!!  Do you have other children?

I go next week at 7w3d for US and first prenatal.  I wanted to push it off b/c I had an early US last time (7w2d) that showed 6w2d and a heartbeat.  Went back the next week for f/u and there was no hb...

But, I couldn't get in with my doc again until I was about 10 1/2 weeks which was too long, so I'm going next week.  Wasn't going to have the US then either, but realize at this point that there is really nothing I can do to change the outcome, so no use burying my head in the sand.

But I am huge...I guess we'll see next week.  I as hoping to "hide" for a few more weeks at least, but I really can't "suck it in."  :)

Thanks again for your reply -- let me know how you're doing.  Best of luck and hope you feel better soon.
Thanks...congrats also on your twins!!! Double the fun.

I am so bloated at the top (which I realize isn't babies) but I really look 4 months pregnant.

I assume that the bloating diminished over time with you.  Did anything bring relief for you?

Take care and let us know how you're doing...when are you due?

LOL!!
Hi there.  Congratulations to you.  I am 10 weeks pregnant tomorrow.  Since about week 5, I looked probably 4 months pregnant.  Then, all of a sudden this week, I am not nearly as bloated.  I put it together that last week, I stopped taking progesterone injections, which I think was adding to the bloating effect.  I don't feel nearly as big as I did.....   The funny part is, it wasn't just my stomach that was bloated, my whole body was bloated, especially my face!  I had started to wear maternity clothes already just because I was so uncomfortable in my regular clothes.  So, I feel much better this week about the whole pregnancy weight gain thing!
Congrats on your baby...and thanks for the reply.

I am not on anything except prenatal vitamins...but do feel really bloated and uncomfortable.

I haven't really gained any weight, and I'm not particularly worried about it.  I gained over 40 with my first and about 30 with my second and managed to take it all off (or at least most).

I really wanted to keep quiet until after I was out of the first trimester -- mostly b/c it was so hard dealing with everyone after my MC last fall that I really didn't want to go through that again.  I'm just so big that I'm pretty sure someone is going to ask me -- my family knows, but I have held off telling anyone else.

Anyway, I see my doc next week and hopefully everything will be good...

Thanks again.
hah, i still feel like it's a litter. when two babies get moving at the same time it's like your insides are trying to get outside!
*wonders*who told them my belly button was fun to kick?
the bloating started to diminish with the end of my first trimester. before that drinking plenty of  water and cutting down on gassy things is all i could do to stay semi comfie.

i think it's just one of those things that has to run it's course.

i am due October 3.

and don't feel bad, even though i had not gained anything till this month, i was so bloated that i was in maternity stuff by 8 or 9 weeks. lol.

give it a few weeks and it'll pass
Thanks ladies...it sure helps to know that others have gone through this -- of course, with twins!

I don't think that will be the case for me, but I guess we'll see -- I feel like it could be 6 or 7 right now!! Ha!

It's not fun feeling so "icky" and it's hard trying to think of something to eat wihout making my stomach turn -- or make dinner for my kids.  Yikes!

But, I know it will eventually pass.  LOL...let me know how you're doing.
I have a ds who is almost 4, so I'm sure my abs aren't as tight as they once were...lol!  I was so bloated at 5 weeks that my dh even made a comment like "I didn't think you were supposed to show this early".  I was a little ticked at him for saying it but when I found out it was twins, he said "Well, that's why you are showing".  

I admire that you wanted to wait for the u/s but I couldn't stand it.  As for me personally, I would rather know if something was wrong so that I didn't get any more excited about it.  But that's just me.  Even though we saw 2 strong heartbeats at the last u/s, I am still extremely nervous.  I go in on Wednesday for my 2nd u/s (8w2d).  I'm seeing an RE so if the babies are okay, I'm off to regular ob/gyn next week.  They told me at my last appt that since we saw the heartbeats and they were great (>120 bpm), that there's a 95% chance everything will be okay.  

Wishing you lots of luck!  I'm sure everything will be fine!  I hope your bloatedness (not sure that's a word) goes away soon!
I normally have a very flat stomach, but i have noticed over the last 2 weeks my belly has become large and bloated.. i always alway feel full. i am also really really tired.  i have also noticed an increase in discharge, its watery but does not smell bad. im about 7days past ovulation so this discharge is not normal .. does anyone know what these symptoms could mean?
Hi I am looking for someone who can maybe get some answers on why i have been feeling so strangely past 2 weeks.I have been feeling really Nauseated,Bloated,tired,breast r very sore and heavy,both sides of my stomache are sore too.I have had 4 other pregnancies my youngest is almost 7,so been awhile since ive had a baby,All these things are new to me again and dont remember feeling so bloated and having my sides of my stomach sore.I had my last 2 c section.So is bloating normal and sides being sore normal.I always feel full and feel like i need to put mybed in bathroom lol as i spend so much time in there.I am 42 and thought i was to old to get prego again,but people just giggle at me and say no your not to old there are woman older than you that are prego.I have been wanting one more,so i am praying that GOD has answered me and my Fiances prayers.There is Twins on both sides of my family.I guess its in my generation to have them,and the more kidsu have the bigger the chance u can have will have twins..whats your feelings on all this.
Plzz someone let me know..
Thanx
LauraLee
I am not sure if I am pregnant..  My husband and I have been ttc and I have had pregnancy symptoms and now bloating, If I am pregnant I am only 3 wks and waiting to test.  Can I be feeling bloated this early??