Maternal & Child Community
Able to have a baby with one kidney?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Able to have a baby with one kidney?

Hi.

I am 27, but when I was 19 I found out that I was in kidney failure because my ureter tube never developed when I was born. I had urter pevlic junction obstruction and it has been repaired with half a synthetic tube.  Long story short, as a result of this condition going undetected for 19 years both my kidneys were damaged.  I still have both my kidneys in me.  My left kidney functions at 43% and the right one functions at 57%. Another result is I also use the washroom all the time (about every 30 minutes).   I have always dreamed of having children.

My questions are:
Will I be able to have a child with my kidney problem?
What will happen to my kidneys after I give birth (will pregnancy damage my kidneys more)?
Will I have to have a c-section as the pushing during labour might be hard on my kidneys?

Thank you so much.
J
Poor thing, I have health issues too so I kinda understand.  I don't know the answers to your questions cause its so rare, so all I can says is to ask the doctors who handle you in this situation.  I hope someone else can post and give you better answers, I'll be praying for you and I hope it all works out.  Take care
Consult with a high risk perinatologist long before attempting a pregnancy.  If you are considering pregnancy, NOW would be the time to get the consult and get knowledgable answers to your question.

The pushing during labor is not the concern.  The strain that a pregnancy may put on your kidneys is the major concern.   The kidneys will have to do a lot of extra work during the entire pregnancy, and whether they can do this without you going into complete renal failure is the big question.

Only a medical specialist can help you know what the right decision may be.  Many women with renal problems can have children.  Some are better advised not to risk it.  

Best of luck.

I too don't have an answer for your specific case, but I can tell you that my sister had 3 healthy children with only one kidney!  She never even knew it until the last child was born (via c-section) and had some unrelated problems.  It was then that they discovered that she was born with only one kidney (a genetic condition known as "renal agenesis").  During my latest pregnancy I had to see a genetic counselor because of my age, and when they discovered that my sister had this problem they said that it could run in the family so they wanted to make sure I had both, because they say that having only one kidney does make your pregnancy "high risk".  (I already knew I had both, as I previously had a cat scan due to getting bucked off a horse years ago.)

Definitely take Peek's advice and see a specialist BEFORE you start trying.  They will be able to give you a honest oppinion of the risks.

Take care.
Thank you everyone for your kinds words and advice.

I talked to my urologist and he said that I should be fine.  When I talk to my general doctor she says the exact opposite.  So it is frustrating to me.  Maybe I do need to talk to a perinatologist before I get pregnant.  

Thanks again!
J
Hello!
I have just read your story here and I was wondering what happened in the end - did you have any babies and how are you feeling? :)
Best wishes,
Gabrielle
Hello, I'm 24 years old was born with two kidneys but before birth the doctors could see that there was a problem with my left kidney. At two months of age my left kidney was removed... Long story short ice had 3 beautiful kiddies... But with my last two I suffered hydronifro- which is normally common for pregnant women to develop in there right kidneys, but being that I only have my right they had to place in a steint to drain out my kidney n kept it in till it was time to give birth to my kids... I'm now on baby number for n just had a tube placed in through my back to avoid my kidney getting so dilated n filled with fluid... This to has to be kept in till I give birth... But anything is possible and god is always god... I never thought I'd be able to have any kids because I only have one kidney. I've been trying to look n find other women who have one kidney n have also had kids... If there are more of you out there pls comment back... Best of luck to you all oxox :)

Sincerely,
Mrs.wilson