Maternal & Child Community
Abnormal HCG levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Abnormal HCG levels

To those of you whose hcg levels are out of the norm, I hope my story can provide a little hope that everything is okay. I'm currently 7 weeks pregnant (LMP 7/26) after having a miscarriage in early July. Last week at 6 weeks pregnant, 9/6/06, my hcg level was at 2500, on 9/8 hcg level at 3000 and on 9/11 hcg level at 4200 (in other words, in 5 days it still hadn't doubled). On Monday, when the Dr. called, she said that the numbers show that I'm having a miscarriage and I should go ahead and schedule a d&c for later this week so that we could test the fetus and see why I've had 2 miscarriages in a row. I felt crushed.  Well in the meantime, I did a little research and found that there are a small percentage of pregnancies whose hcg levels do not fall within the norm. I also found this great article at http://blogs.webmd.com/pregnancy-and-infertility/ (scroll down to HCG levels...). It gave me a little hope when everything was seeming so hopeless. So, I told the doc that I wasn't ready for a d&c yet. Instead, I said that I wanted another ultrasound done (previously, on 9/6 u/s there was an egg, yolk and fetal pole, but no heartbeat).

On Wednesday (9/13) at 7 weeks pregnant, we saw a heartbeat on the ultrasound! The nurse and the Dr. were in shock!! Granted we're not out of the woods yet, but I find this to be very encouraging. Regardless of what the Dr. says, always trust your intuition!

Has anyone had a similar experience and went on to deliver a healthy baby?

Sorry I have never experienced this before.  But I just wanted to say CONGRATS on seeing the hb!  That is so great!  You will be in my prayers!!
Thanks!  I appreciate all the prayers and positive energy I can get!
That is awesome! I am so happy for you!

My doc said that once you are at 3000 or higher, hcg levels no longer double. Mine are still rising steadily (about 60% every 48 hrs) but doc says since there is no HB at 6w4d then I have miscarried. I am not ready to throw in the towel either. I have another u/s scheduled for next Tuesday just to be completely sure. He seems positive, but I'm not. I've read a lot of articles and books that say it's not unusual to not see a hb until the 7th or 8th week.

How far along were you when you had the u/s that showed no heartbeat?

Congratulations!!!!  That is wonderful news!  I hope things continue to go well for you!

I was told after my first transvaginal ultrasound at 6 weeks, 2 days, that either I was way off on my dates (and it's earlier than I thought) or that I had a blighted ovum.  I told my doctor that I was certain my dates are right.  He told me to expect a period in a couple of days.

After blood work showing hcg levels that didn't double, but weren't considered low, he did a transvaginal ultrasound at 8 weeks and told me that there is no baby--no yolk sac, no fetal poll...nothing.  He suggested a D&C and also said he could give me cytotec to help me expel everything, but I told him I wanted to let my body do what it needed to do on its own if possible.  He told me to call him in a week if I didn't start miscarrying on my own.

A week later I called him and he sent me for another ultrasound--said that there is a risk of infection if your body doesn't miscarry when it should.

At 9 weeks, 5 days, the ultrasound technician starts the ultrasound, looks a bit confused, looks at me, flips a switch and we hear a heartbeat.  Totally normal ultrasound.

I'm 16 weeks, 2 days along now.
Follow your instincts!  I was at 6 weeks when they did the first u/s.  I've read also that it's not uncommon to not pick up a hb until 7 or 8 weeks.  What appears to have happened is that I most likely ovulated late in my cycle (at the 7 week u/s the fetus measured 6 weeks CRL)--this could be the case for you also.  I used the ov sticks and was having my LH surge 11 days into my cycle.  So, I guess I might have ovulated twice in one cycle--rare but not unheard of.

I'm going to send lots of positive vibes your way.  Don't give up!  Keep me posted.
Wow!! Your story is so amazing!  I'm so glad that you were so strong and hung in there!  I can only imagine the amount of stress you went through.

Thanks for your positive wishes and Congrats to you too!

(This should also be inspiration for lynb to hang in there.)
I don'thave a story about myself however a customer where I work (at a salon)  was on her6th pregnancy (6 children 2-twins) and went to her Dr. and they said that they lost a heartbeat too and wanted to do a d n c and she said no that she would let it go naturally.  Well 7 to 8 mo later she had a beautiful baby Girl!  There is always Hope!!!
I've decided to hold off on the u/s this Tuesday and do it next Tuesday. I'll be in my 8th week by then and will feel better about having the d&c if there is no hb. I just don't want to take any chances. Thanks for all of the positive stories. It gives me renewed hope and confidence...although I am afraid to get my hopes up too much only to be disappointed yet again. Cautious optimism is the phrase of the day for me.
I've never done this before but I actually have a question not so much a comment.  I do not have a regular period but found out I was pregnant 8/24.  I had taken a pregnancy test within the first two weeks of August and it was negative then took the 2nd test 8/24 and it was positive.  I assume I am early in my pregnancy.  Well, I have had 3 trans vaginal ultrasounds.  The 1st two all that could be seen was the sac but it wasn't round and very hard to see.  The 3rd I had today and it was a very round, obvious sac that was very easy to see.  My HCG levels were taken after the first ultrasounds and it was 10364 and within 48 hours it was almost 14000.  So after todays ultrasound she ordered another hcg test.  Here is the kicker, I have been bleeding pretty badly but no cramps or pain.  It started out brown ,like dried blood and now it is definitly dark red w/clots.  My doctor keeps insisting I am going to miscarry although my hcg levels are high (but not quite doubling) and the baby seems to be growing week to week.  She says we should definitly see a heartbeat by next week (that is the estimated 6-7 week)and if we don't she feels it definitly will miscarry.  Does anybody have any advice or opinion??  Thanks
When the levels are over 6000, it actually takes 72-96 hours to double.  Mine were not doubling even after 5 days, but we're cautiously optimistice since we have a heartbeat and a growing fetus.  Here's an article that gave me hope, maybe it will give you hope also:  

http://blogs.webmd.com/pregnancy-and-infertility/ (scroll down to HCG levels...).  Try not to worry, 25% of pregnancies have bleeding and 1/2 of those go on to be healthy babies.  I'm sending positive thoughts your way!
Hi All!  This is my first post although I have been reading many comments and questions posted by others on and off over recent years.  I feel compelled to post my situation since I have found so many of the comments helpful and hope that mine will also help others.
I am pregnant 7 w 5 days right now.  I am also 40 so in a higher risk category for miscarriage and other problems.   Last week I had my hcg levels checked because I felt that all my pregnancy symptoms had suddenly stopped (had a m/c at about 5 or 6 weeks in Dec 2002 and healthy baby girl born 10/12/04).  At 6 w 6 days my level was 7866 (within the range but not high).  They did another draw 4 days later and it was only 9000 so almost no increase.  My DR suggested a D&C right off but I immediately knew that was not what I wanted to do.  I don't know anything about how my pregnancy is progressing other than those two hcg readings.  I have no bleeding, cramping, pain of any kind (had lots of pain with the first m/c).  I have done lots of reading on hcg levels and how they should progress, but sometimes do not, especially after 6 or 7 weeks. I want to let things happen naturally, so am just waiting to see what comes in the next week or two.  I have a DR appt scheduled on Oct. 10 which was initially set up to check for a fetal heartbeat.  I am keeping the appt and will ask for an u/s if nothing has happened yet.  I am not convinced that things are doomed after reading other posts(but not unrealistically hopeful either).  Either way, I want my body to be the judge and not the numbers.  Any thoughts or comments on my situation are appreciated.  Thanks!
Hi never used this site before but was just looking as have just had some bad news. Had first antenatal appointment last week and mentioned to the midwife that I am not having many pregnancy symptoms unlike my last pregnancy ( have 18mth old daughter).  She organsied for a u/s to be carried out today, which revealed no fetal pole or H/b. We used ovulation sticks so know I ovulated on 8/22 and should therefore be 7 weeks.  She has taken blood for HCG levels which i have to get repeated on Fri but has pretty much confirmed there is no pregnancy.  I am absolutely gutted and wondered if there is anyone else out there in the same situation as feel v alone.
Thank you all for sharing your stories - very helpful and inspiring.  I too have an odd case.  Last month I miscarried at 17 dpo (tested positive at 12 dpo), u/s confirmed no baby.  Also, preg tests started turning up negative.  
I was supposed to wait 1 regular period, but we we're "trying" and got pregnant anyway (tested at 15 dpo because period was late, and dark positive line came up right away).  Now I have a lot of preg symptoms and I'm already (!) starting to show.  I'm beginning to wonder if (despite the bleeding) I didn't lose the baby and it was just too early to see the baby on u/s (I was only 4 wks & 3 days pregnant & most stuff I see says it can't be seen until about 5-5 1/2 weeks).  Otherwise, I'm suspicious of the earliler and more severe onset of symptoms (multiple?).  I did get a bHCG test today, so hopefully that will provide some info (and may provoke an u/s - fingers crossed - sure would like to have one and see a hb!).  I guess I'm just super nervous since last month.
My wife's u/s last Thursday (10/19/06) showed a yolk sac but no heartbeat. Her hCG levels were around 6,000. Her LMD was 9/7/06 -- so she was spot on 6 weeks pregnant at the time of the u/s. The doctor took blood from her on Friday. We called on Saturday and the doctor told us that her hCG levels jumped to 14,000.

They told us to get another u/s this Tuesday ... tomorrow morning 10/24/06 ... she will be 6 weeks and 4 days. We are worried that they won't see a heartbeat tomorrow morning during the u/s and the doctor will recommend a D&C.

My wife had some slight brownish discharges early last week but has been fine since. No cramping or bleeding. She seems to feel fine. She has a tiny bit of odorless, colorless discharge, but that's it.

I was hoping someone could give us their feelings on our situation (1st time parents here!).