Maternal & Child Community
Abnormal Quad Screen test and freaking out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am 30 years old and 17 weeks pregnant with our first child, a little boy. I had the Quad test done last week (BAD IDEA) and it came back "slightly abnormal" with a 1:160 chance of our son having Downs. I know, all rational thought points to the fact that we have a 99% chance of having a totally healthy baby, but I am obsessed with the fact that something in my blood shows that my son is at much higher risk of having downs than other babies born to 30 year old moms. Has anyone out there had a similar risk ratio? What was the outcome? We are having an ultrasound done next week which apparantly will tell us more. The amnio does not sound like something I want to do at all -- but the peace of mind would be nice if it comes out normal. Any thoughts, advice?

Thanks so much.
There is a very high false positive rate with these tests (which I am sure you know). I am sure the ultrasound will help ease your mind. They will check different measurements to look for signs characteristic of Down Syndrome. Good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts. Please keep us posted! :)
my friend's quad came back that all 3 of her kids would have downs - NONE of them did!!!
My doc doesn't reccomend the quad screen any more because of all the false positives.  The do a sequential screen which is a blood test plus ultrasound and then more blood work so many weeks later - she said it is much better.
I opted not to do that test with this pg and when i was pg with my dd for that reason.  I worry enough without giving me one more thing to worry about. I am sure everything is fine. As GNicole said, they have a high rate of fals positives.  Good luck and try to relax.
My neighbor just had the same scare only hers came back 1:30 for a ratio for Down Syndrome and her little guy is now 4 months old, healthy as can be. She did do tha amnio to find out for sure and it came back negative so she did know ahead of time that he would not have Downs.  Like the others said, there is a very high rate of false positives.  1:160 is really not a bad ratio.  If you are concerned, you can choose to do the amnio which would give you more exact facts. Best of luck and RELAX (I now that's easier said than done!)
I wouldn't worry. Those tests are so inaccurate! I had one too, I was 30 yrs old and it came back abnormal. 1 in 154 chance of downs. After I had the amnio, everything was perfect. Then they thought I got the abnormal test result because of placenta accreta. Well low & behold, I had a perfect delivery and a perfect baby. For my next pregnancy I am opting to decline the test. It puts too much stress on us preggo mommies!!
I had an amnio and it hurt a little, but just like a shot or something. It wasn't terribly painful or anything, it was fine. Mine was done to check lung maturity, not for chromosomal testing, but it was still OK.

Don't be too scared if you do that!

Yes, tests are negative, but you have to think and decide if you WERE having a baby with down's syndrome would you still have it? If the answer is yes, then it doesn't really matter either way! However, I, personally would want to know and would have the amnio done...

My quad scan came back extremely high 1:24 chance that my son had spina bifida and he was born healthy.....we didn't have anything but a high resolution ultrasound done.
I know those tests have a high false positive rate thats why I personally opted to not have one done.. The u/s should give you some piece of mind
Hi I am new to this but on Wednesday I received the dreaded phone call from my doc at 7:30 at night that I had an abnormal quad screen.  Lets just say that night and yesterday I was a wreck today I feel a lot better.....and realize that whatever the outcome is we can handle it.  My appointments are next week and the waiting part is whats killing me the most.....how common is it to have these tests come back abnormal and then there actually being nothing wrong?  I am so uneasy about this, and its making me a wreck!  I have one healthy three year old already I don't know if I can handle this.
mine came back 1:39 downs.  i declined amnio and went on to have a healthy baby.  she is 6, a first grader, and does not have downs.  these tests are highly inaccurate.  
The ladies are right..... the test are HIGHLY inaccurate..... I came back with a high risk for downs and spina bifida (sp), I cant exactly remember my numbers but it was high enough to make the dr request that i have an amnio...... I did actually have the amnio for piece of mind.....and everything turned out JUST FINE! I have a healthy beautiful 9 year old little girl
Hello. I am in my 30s and my result came out 1/198. They said according to my age group i am high risk. i was so stressed out and was in tears. I decided to do amnio. My doc gave me an appointment the next day. Its been 2 days since and i am soooooo stressed out to find the results.
My first screen test was done at 14 weeks even though it should be done at 11- 13 weeks. So i am hoping the results were off cause of that
Hello all, I understand how some of you feel.  My wife and I weren't even told what her second trimester blood test was for!!  Much less what a quad screen was.  We were completely blindsided!  We got a call at 8am last week from Anita's OB telling us that the quad screen that was done on her blood came back positive and that our baby has a higher probabability for Downs!!  We were heart broken!  Floored!  We immediately got online and researched the whole quad screen process.  Not only can the results give false positives because of an innacurate due date/gestational/fetal age, but maternal age and about six other variables can also give false positives.  The Mayo Clinic states on their web site that the screening for these issues aren't even FDA approved!!  Can you believe that OB's even use this as a tool??!!  Now, all that put aside, we have a genetic counseling session Jan 27, and a gender scan the next day.  We have been so bummed by this news that the excitement about what sex the baby is has taken a back seat to our nervousness.  We won't be having an amnio, this seems too invasive and painful.  Also, since we aren't terminating what's the point?  We read a posting of a woman who said when the needle pierced the amniotic sac that her baby actually winced and moved.  Are you kidding??  I wonder if these screens aren't a way for MD's to get their money back on the back end when moms over 35 refuse the amnio the first time due to just their age.  Now, insurance will be charged for a genetic counseling session, a high resonance 3D mapping/ultrasound, and then another push to have an amnio!!  Please let me know what you think of my theory, good or bad.  
I was just having this same convo with my sis and Im totally in belief of that theory. i just had a quad done at 14 weeks ($) and it came back 1:86 then my dr. said it was done rather early and suggested I do a second one ($). When this one came back 1:96 for downs she suggested that I go to a genetic counselor and consider a amnio although I didnt get the feeling that she reccommended one. She was more along the side that the baby had a higher chance of being born perfectly normal and suggested that the amnio only be done if I wanted to know for sure. I scheduled the appointment for the counselor and was not surprised to hear (because of our theory) that they automatically reserve a spot for the patient to have the amnio done ($). I DO NOT want to have this invasive procedure done and am getting the feeling that the counselor might urge me towards having it anyway. I am 25 and this is my second pregnancy, I lost my first at 8 weeks, so am not looking forward to any increased chance of miscarriage.
I understand the ambiguity around these tests but I do want to share my story as a caution to all.  I am a 26 year old extremely healthy athlete who also had an abnormal quad screen result (1:200).  After a lengthy discussion with my husband (who is a doctor) we decided to not go forward with any more testing.  Unfortunately, when we went in for our 20 week ultrasound we found out that the baby not only had severe genetic abnormalities but also related birth defects.  So although these tests do have a high rate of false positives, that's what they are there for...to provide a conservative result so that you can be sure of the health of your baby.  I am now pregnant with our second child and you better believe that we had all of the testing available (quad and sequential screen) as a precaution.
We are going through EXactly the same thing right now. Ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow....its my daughter whose pregnant - with twins! The second quad screen - done on the same blood sample they drew at 14 weeks came back with the same odds you report for Down's. So far, I've heard nothing good about this test - its inaccurate a lot of times.You should not have to be going through this, neither should we. Keeping you in my thoughts!