Maternal & Child Community
Abnormal Quad Test Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Abnormal Quad Test Results

I just got a call from my doctor's office letting me know my quad tes results were abnormal.  Her recommendation was to have a level II Ultrasound and/or an amniocentesis.  I am  32 years old, 18 weeks pregnant, all my other blood work results came back normal, baby's heartbeat and growth seems to be going accordingly.  What are the chances of these results truly reflecting abnormalities in my baby?  I called my hospital and the soonest they can work me in to have my ultrasound is 3 weeks from today.  I am extremely nervous and concerned about these results.  Thanks to all for your input.
don't you worry too much! on these type of tests there is usually lots of false positives. please try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy. I know lots of case like yours and they all ended up having a healthy very cute babies.
I had an abnormal test to resulting in a 'high risk' for down syndrome....I opted not to have a amnio but have had 3 level II u/s with no 'ds markers' found.

I have placenta previa and they have been monitoring me with u/s regardless...

I wouldn't worry to much....everyone's hormones are different and they go by the 'average'.

If your decision to carry to term won't change just wait until the u/s....but if you need to know beyond any doubt....you'll need to have the amnio.

Many blessings to you
Thank you both.  I am on a business trip and got the news while away from home.  I am just a nervous wreck.  I was not expecting this news.  Husband is also out of town on a convention without cell phone access.
I wouldn't worry too much... My sister got false positive reults also... I hear that the results could be 25%+ false!
Thanks for the words of encourangement.  I decided not to have the amnio.  No matter what, my baby will be welcomed by two loving parents.  I am going for the ultrasound II next week on Wednesday.  My doctor was able to work me in sooner.  I will keep you posted.  
I had an abnormal quad scan that was high for spina bifida. All turned out well, and my baby is fine. However, this test does NOT provide false positives, it is a screening to determine RISK that something will be WRONG.....
My doctor told me the triple and quad screens DO have a high false postive rate.  However, the newer testing-First Trimester Screen-is a measurement to determine risk.  Not saying you're wrong...just saying I got different information.
The docs do discuss "high false positives" but the first tri-screen test and AFP are just that -- SCREENING tests.  They give you the RISK that something is wrong, but do NOT diagnose it.

And, when your result comes back lower in the parameters for your criteria (age, fetal age, risk factors, etc.) then they often call it positive -- but it is NOT diagnosing a problem. And vice versa, if it comes back 1 in 400 then it is "negative."

For instance...if your "normal" risk for the above factors was 1 in 300 and you come back 1 in 200 then it is "positive" BUT still only 1 child in 200 will actually have the condition.  

And remember, even if it comes back at reduced risk it doesn't mean that your baby won't have the condition, but that the risk is lower.
stupid question...what is a quad test?
I went to the one of the top 5 Fetal Maternal Medicine Centers, as well as NICU hospitals in the country. My two high risk specialists say that "false positives" are when the test comes back abnormal and nothing happens....it wasn't a false positive at all, you just happened to have a "1 in so many " chance that something would happen, and nothing did. Therefore, It was not a false positive, becasue it is showing a RISK not a guarentee...!!!
I just had quad test done and it came back postive, Also on the ultrasound the doctor noticed that there is a big gap on the first toe. He said that this might be an indication that the baby might have ds. I'm 27 yr old and so scare, i don't know what to do.