Maternal & Child Community
Abnormal Quad Test for NTD
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Abnormal Quad Test for NTD

Hi,

I received a call from my doctor today where he told me that my quad test was abnormal for neural tube defect.  I am 26, have taken all my prenatal vitamins before we conceived, I am not over weigh and have no diabetes or anything worng with me.  He said my test was slightly elevated, has anyone encountred this? What is the possibility my baby will have something wrong?  I am 16 weeks along.  I had a level II ultrasound set up for July 21st but was moved to June 23rd and I terrified.  This is our first child and I am not sure what could have gone wrong.  Any words of wisdom or anything would be nice and calming or at lease it will be a realistic so I know what to expect.  Please let me know if you have expirience this and what the outcome was.

Thank you,

Nin
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
172023_tn?1334675884
These tests are simply screening tests.  Most times, nothing abnormal is found on the level II ultrasound at all.

Try not to worry.  I know its hard, but honestly, everything usually turns out fine.  
Blank
176741_tn?1295237589
These tests cause alarm for so many people (including me...twice!)  First try to relax a bit.  Like Peek said, these are just screening tests.  Anything other than 'normal' will be reported to you.  Many women have an elevated risk according to these tests.  Both of my babies were perfect, despited elevated risk for each.   Good luck to you!
Blank
657586_tn?1224591547
A positive or high value test does not mean your baby has a NTD. People who get a negative test can still have a baby born with a NTD. An ultrasound will be performed to first make sure that the baby is at the correct gestational age as this gestational age value is used in the calculation of the value in the quad test. Plus the ultrasound will look for physical markers but these can give you a scare too. All this info may just indicate that an Amniocentesis is an option for you.

I had so many ultrasounds during my pregnancy probably 20 (in Germany many gynecologists have their own ultrasound) and now everything is normal. The enlarged kidneys and amniotic fluid and fast growth rate or resolved on their own. I think sometimes these test take a snapshot look at a certain stage of pregnency and if that snapshot does not look "normal" the doctors do more tests.
Blank
What turned out to be is that I had a 1:380 for NTD but 1:10 for Trisonomy 18.  The u/s confirmed but we had an amnio.  We'll know the result this week.  Wish me luck!!!  Has anyone had a positive u/s a negative amnio?

thanks,

Nini
Blank
hi my name is monique and im very scared my test just came back abnormal for NTD TEST words of wisdom please very scared
Blank
Seeing everyone's posts is making me feel better, I too received a call from my doctor about a borderline NTD result, having another sono Monday. I agree this is very nerve wracking.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...