Maternal & Child Community
About The Mirena

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

About The Mirena

I am wanting to get the mirena put in but people keep telling me that it is not a good idea.  they say that it will make me gain weight and that i will feel it in me when i walk.  I wanted to do the iud for 3 years and i have heard that that birth control is bad so i was planning on having the mirena put in and having it taken out in 3 years.  Any women that have one or know anything about this please let me know.  i really dont want to have to take pills, and the mirena seemed like a really good plan until everyone started talking down on it.  Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks
I love my Mirena IUD. I would recommend it to anyone. I got mine put in when my daughter was 6 weeks old. I have had it in for almost 9 months now. I have had no weight gain... You do notice it for a about 2 weeks than you do not even realize it is there.
I had Mirena and loved it. It has a LOCALLY acting hormone, not a systemic hormone like other forms of hormonal birth control. I never felt it, not when I walked, not when I had sex, never. If you are worried about the hormone, there is an alternative in the form of the Copper IUD.

Again, I loved it. I have very little faith in the horror stories being blamed on Mirena. It has been in use globally for a while and the complaints tend to fit right in with what one would expect for the year following childbirth (which is when most mirena users have the device placed)

Check out www.mirena.com and speak with your doctor.
I had a Mirena for 2.5 years and had it removed to conceive again. I think they are fabulous, I had no problems, no weight gain and I couldn't feel it at all once it was put in. After I have this baby I plan to have another one put back in.  I had a Nova T IUD years ago and that was equally good (I had a little breakthrough bleeding with that one though) although I felt much more secure having the Mirena as I felt I was double covered against pregnancy with the addition of the hormones.

Ruth xx
I had Mirena, hated it. I won't go into detail. I had it removed and got the non hormonal Copper (paragard) IUD, LOVED it. It has no hormones and works well for me. Hormones and I do not mix. I had the copper T removed to get pregnant and I have it again after having my son.
I absolutely LOVE my mirena! I got mine inserted at my 6 week post pardum check up. I was worried that it would hurt or that I would feel it everyday but it definitely didn't hurt and I cant feel it at all! I was on the depo shot at first and I gained 40 lbs in 2 months. So I opted for Mirena :)
I love my mirena. I can count on one hand how many periods I have gotten in the 4 yrs I've had it in. I will be getting mine out this year so I can get pregnant...but typically the Mirena is placed for 5 years. I didn't really have too many side affects other than lower back pain in the beginning but it didn't last long. I never felt it either.

Just remember that any birth control has side affects and affects everyone differently. Good luck with whichever option you choose.