Maternal & Child Community
Absent Fetal hearbeat on ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Absent Fetal hearbeat on ultrasound

Hi, I am new to the site and have a question.  My last period was in December, but my ultrasound is only showing 6 weeks and 1 day.  No fetal heartbeat can be detected.  The crown - rump length is only 4.9.  I thought it had to be at least 5mm to detect.  My physician said it is very probable that I have had a miscarriage, but wants to wait a week to do another ultrasound.  Isn't it too early to tell, or is this pregnancy doomed?  He seems very sure it has ended.  I have also had a molar pregnancy a year and a half ago.

Thanks for any help.
How long are your periods normally. My period is normally 39 days long so the day I ovulate is on day 27. My point is that they determine how far along you are by the first day of your last period but if your periods are long like mine then you may be fine. If you know when you ovulated it is easier to determine how far along you are. They set the standard based on individuals who have normal periods. I am still waiting on my period. My last period was Jan 23 but since my periods are long I am only a week late. If I am pregnant they would put me at 7 weeks pregnant but I know when I ovulated and I would only be about 3 weeks pregnant. I know it is confusing but I hope this helps.
thanks, that does help.  Any my periods are very irregular, so I am hoping that will make the difference.
Thanks again.
6 weeks is quite small to see, and of course the longer u wait the more you will see so hopefully the next time you go All will be fine
good luck
hi my last period was jan 7 and they say I am 8 weeks 6 days and it is only showing like 6 mabey 7 weeks he thought I was going to miscarry because the baby is smaller than he thinks it shouls but I went today and the nany has grown and there was a faint heartbeat he said we would see more on the 21st so I am in the same situation so dont worry just think positive...chrissy
I conceived 6 weeks after my LMP, but the pregnancy ended in a miscarriage 13 weeks after my LMP, which realistically is only 9 weeks.  It's possible that your period was irregular.  It's also possible that you may have a miscarriage.  Good luck!
Your baby is so tiny at this stage.  Only a little bit larger than a grain of rice - literally!  Often with being so tiny and depending upon the mhz of the machine, the heartbeat can be missed.  You are wise to hang in there and test out this diagnosis.  I have a friend who was told at 8 weeks that her baby had no heartbeat.  It wasn't until almost 10 weeks that her baby showed a heartbeat.  That baby is now a live and healthy toddler!  In the meantime, go to this web-site for stories that will encourage you while you wait out this diagnosis.  Keep us posted how you are doing!

http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com/forums/