Acetone and Pregnancy
Hello.  I am 12 weeks pregnant.  At my first prenatal check-up I asked my OB about the use of acetone (it is in my facial astringent which I use once per day).  She stated it's okay to use as the amount asorbed into my skin in minimal... is that true?  My facial care regimant also contains glycolic acid and benzoyl peroxide.  Are they also safe to use?  

Thank you in advance:-)
acetone has been safe for me. i use it in full strength at work. i also work with alot worse chemicals, and my dr is not concerned at all. everything is normal and i am 23 weeks along
the bottles of your facial items would or should also state if they can not be used when pg
leslie
cdw
Hi. I used glycolic acid during pregnancy. I was/am using the MD Forte products that contain high amounts. No problems with either of my daughters. One is only 3 wks old. Enjoy your pregnancy. If worried, stopping using until after you deliver.
Hi, Leslie. I am concerned about using Acetone as well at work, but not as much as concerning about other chemicals, e.g.Xylene and paraformaldehyde. What is your opinion of using these chemicals? I always use them in a chemical hood. But there are always exposure here and there that you can not avoid. Plus, people around me use xylene out in the room any way. They just don't think them as health-threatening or don't care at all.

I have had 5 m/c, and no child. Dr could not find anything abnormal except my advanced age. Overall, quite sensitive to smells and chemicals. Thanks for your sharing.
what do you do? i am most concerned in my job with xylene. paraformaldehye and formalin are my second. i do not know if i am missing something with acetone, but i have never been concerned with it. i try not to use xylene since i am pg, but if i do have to i glove up. at all times my lab smells like xylene and formalin, but i am more concerned with the skin exposure. also if you use evans blue where you work, stop!!!! it says right on the msds sheet that it WILL cause fetal demise.
let me know if there is anything else i can help you with, i have a good safety team at work that lets me know what and where to do things.
leslie
anyone working with chemicals should consult a doctor. In terms of skin care, there is SO much paranoia on the internet. my doctor pooh poohed it and said barely anything put on the skin is absorbed in the bloodstream and whenever tests are done with skin products, its always a zillion times the recommended dose. you need to be careful about any pills you take but worrying about cosmetics is just going to cause a stressed pregnancy. my opinion but as I said, my doctor pooh poohed not using certain skin products.
Thank you for your replies!  I feel better now:-)  I only started worrying because my DH came to me the other morning while he was watching the news and said that Acetone has been linked to birth defects so the FDA is making some new guidelines.  Well, he wasn't paying attention... the news was talking about ACCUTAIN.  Men!  I suppose I should be thankful that he was trying to be helpful, lol.  

Thanks again:-)
Hi Leslie,

Sorry for the late response. Thank you very much for your information. If your lab smells constantly with xylene and formalin, we are probably on the same boat professionally. The difference between us is that people working in your lab bearing safety mind better than guys in my lab, I have to say. There are guidelines, e.g. MSDS, how to safely use these chemicals. Unfortunately, my labmates, including my manager, don
I have just recently done MSDS research on industrial grade Acetone, and found that the chemical has been known to cause birth defects in rodents during lab studies. We had 6 MSDS' due to the variety of manufacturers and only 2 of those 6 MSDS' contained any toxicology info on the affects of the chemical on a developing fetus. I found that the other 4 either said "No Info Avail" or "not fully investigated". I would suggest doing an MSDS check, if it returns with "no info avail" or "not fully investigated" You can either call the manufacturer, or check out another manufacturer's MSDS for the same chemical (should have the same CAS. NO)