Maternal & Child Community
Advice? How long wait to have sex after delivery?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Advice? How long wait to have sex after delivery?

How long did you new mothers wait to have sex after vaginal delivery? Did you wish you waited longer? Had regular delivery, no stitches, 7.5 lb baby--just don't want to try too soon (DH does of course). Baby is 4 weeks old today.
Related Discussions
13 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I think all things considered, you had a normal birth etc, then i can't see what's wrong with now. I was always told it was fine, but alot of people like to wait for 6 weeks. Just use protection, unless you want to get caught...of course.

Have fun...lol
Blank
134578_tn?1404951303
My doc also told me 6 weeks.
Blank
20 years????  (LOL).  Oh, oops ;>)

I actually heard after your six week check that everything is okay, but I would let your body be your guide.  My babies were BIG and I was still sore (TMI - sorry) at 4 weeks.

Good luck!
G
Blank
After your 6 week check up, your doctor will tell you if its okay to have sex or not. Usually yes.
Blank
159063_tn?1247276417
Laughing like crazy at grammy yes 20 years sounds about right..  
Blank
151154_tn?1208134182
I'm afraid after delivery I'll never want to have sex again!!!!
Blank
Something that a lot of women don't know and that is that the cervix can remain open until 6 weeks postpartum. This can allow air to enter and get into the blood stream and possibly form a life threatening embolus in the lungs. Also, infection and ripped stitches are a big possibility. Please wait and be safe.
Blank
SNAG-

Sorry.  I have been reading more lately and realize you have not been able to post under your name so i am posting this for you!  CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G
Blank
60890_tn?1366361719
hi.

thanks for that i still had no response from site about helping me, don't care right now tho am so chuffed!!!!!

claire
Blank
162279_tn?1270604959
I have never had an episiotomy, so I had sex again as soon as 2 weeks after delivery. I know that might not be what the Dr. ordered, but it is different for everyone and I know my body. I have never had any problems doing it my way. But of course, not having an episiotomy probably had A LOT to do with the fact I felt ready after only two weeks.
Blank
60890_tn?1366361719
Damn I wish my comp would work so I could post my own comment!!!!

I JUST GOT A BFP WITH A CLEARBLUE DIGITAL PREG TEST!!! AM SO ECSTATIC!!!

THIS WILL BE MY THIRD BABY, AND 6TH PREG, HAVE A DD WHO IS 2 1/4 AND A 9 MONTH OLD SON. I AM SOOOOOOO CHUFFED.

BABY DUST TO EVERYONE ELSE TRYING!!! ***********

CLAIRE
Blank
162331_tn?1390022267
I had vaginal births and waited until I got the all clear from my Doctor.  I remember thinking I would never want sex again right after birth.  I was soooo sore.  Doc gave the all clear at my 6 week checkup.  I felt like a virgin again...lol!  When I was at the Hospital with my first, they said I couldn't leave until I had a bowel movement.  I said, "You have got to be kidding me....it hurts to fart!"  LOL!!!  Thank God they change that rule.  You no more than give birth now and they are almost pushing you out the door.  It's because of the insurance companies they longer wait for poo. Ha! Ha!
Blank
My baby was 9 lbs and 1 oz, I had an episiotomy, and tried to have sex at 4 weeks.  It was not comfortable for me at all.  Tried again at 6 weeks and was better but only months later did I actually feel like everything was the same.  This time around I plan to wait at least 6 weeks maybe longer.

Will stock up on the baby oil though....and I don't use it on the baby!!!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...