Maternal & Child Community
Advice? How long wait to have sex after delivery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

How long did you new mothers wait to have sex after vaginal delivery? Did you wish you waited longer? Had regular delivery, no stitches, 7.5 lb baby--just don't want to try too soon (DH does of course). Baby is 4 weeks old today.
I think all things considered, you had a normal birth etc, then i can't see what's wrong with now. I was always told it was fine, but alot of people like to wait for 6 weeks. Just use protection, unless you want to get caught...of course.

Have fun...lol
My doc also told me 6 weeks.
20 years????  (LOL).  Oh, oops ;>)

I actually heard after your six week check that everything is okay, but I would let your body be your guide.  My babies were BIG and I was still sore (TMI - sorry) at 4 weeks.

Good luck!
G
After your 6 week check up, your doctor will tell you if its okay to have sex or not. Usually yes.
Laughing like crazy at grammy yes 20 years sounds about right..  
I'm afraid after delivery I'll never want to have sex again!!!!
Something that a lot of women don't know and that is that the cervix can remain open until 6 weeks postpartum. This can allow air to enter and get into the blood stream and possibly form a life threatening embolus in the lungs. Also, infection and ripped stitches are a big possibility. Please wait and be safe.
SNAG-

Sorry.  I have been reading more lately and realize you have not been able to post under your name so i am posting this for you!  CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G
hi.

thanks for that i still had no response from site about helping me, don't care right now tho am so chuffed!!!!!

claire
I have never had an episiotomy, so I had sex again as soon as 2 weeks after delivery. I know that might not be what the Dr. ordered, but it is different for everyone and I know my body. I have never had any problems doing it my way. But of course, not having an episiotomy probably had A LOT to do with the fact I felt ready after only two weeks.
Damn I wish my comp would work so I could post my own comment!!!!

I JUST GOT A BFP WITH A CLEARBLUE DIGITAL PREG TEST!!! AM SO ECSTATIC!!!

THIS WILL BE MY THIRD BABY, AND 6TH PREG, HAVE A DD WHO IS 2 1/4 AND A 9 MONTH OLD SON. I AM SOOOOOOO CHUFFED.

BABY DUST TO EVERYONE ELSE TRYING!!! ***********

CLAIRE
I had vaginal births and waited until I got the all clear from my Doctor.  I remember thinking I would never want sex again right after birth.  I was soooo sore.  Doc gave the all clear at my 6 week checkup.  I felt like a virgin again...lol!  When I was at the Hospital with my first, they said I couldn't leave until I had a bowel movement.  I said, "You have got to be kidding me....it hurts to fart!"  LOL!!!  Thank God they change that rule.  You no more than give birth now and they are almost pushing you out the door.  It's because of the insurance companies they longer wait for poo. Ha! Ha!
My baby was 9 lbs and 1 oz, I had an episiotomy, and tried to have sex at 4 weeks.  It was not comfortable for me at all.  Tried again at 6 weeks and was better but only months later did I actually feel like everything was the same.  This time around I plan to wait at least 6 weeks maybe longer.

Will stock up on the baby oil though....and I don't use it on the baby!!!!