Maternal & Child Community
After taking maternity leave, who watches baby when u go back to work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Hey everyone, I will be taking maternity leave and trying to figure out who will watch my angel baby when I return to work. Fiance works almost 50hrs a wk and both our families live up north and were in florida. What did everyone do if you arent fortunate to have family near? When should I start looking for someone and how do I go about it?
This is my first baby... sorry for sounding like a moron. Thanks!
I am very fortunate, my MIL watches my DS and she will watch this one too.  But some send theirs to daycare of get a babysitter.
Both of my kids go to daycare but I think after this on I may take of for a while and see if I can find a job closer to home. One of my girls is in shool but she goes to before and after school care at the daycare!
I don't have a baby yet but know a lot about this because of my friends and sisters.  You need to find a spot ASAP whether it is a home daycare or an out of home daycare (unless you can afford a nanny, etc -- but who can do that!).  Most places have long waiting lists.  I would go interview all the daycares before you pick one because some have healthy snacks as opposed to junkfood, some are cleaner, etc.  A lot of my friends around here have luck with the church daycares.  Good luck!  I know that childcare will be the most stressful thing for me once I'm preg too.

Are you from Arkansas?  If so, what part?
Where in Florida do you live? I know a good day care but it's in Altamonte Springs...
Duh!  It says you're from Florida in your post!  I can be so slow and stupid sometimes!  I saw your name and got excited -- thought you might live close by...
I agree, put your name on any waiting list you can find ASAP. You can decide later whether you would want your child to go to that daycare or not. I live in a small town and there aren't many options, only about 5 "good" daycares that actually take infants. I've pretty much decided to stay home after the baby but I am still trying to negotiate with my employer too to see if I can get more than 6 weeks off. I found a lot of daycares on the Internet, there are some directories. Also, I called a few that were recommended to me byother Moms at church or work. I called a few daycares and they were filled up but put me on a waiting list, I asked them to tell me other reputable daycares in the area. Good daycares will usually freely offer info like that as well as good questions to ask when visiting daycares. My advice is to get on all the waiting lists, then visit later and you can always take your name off the list if you don't like it later.
Thanks for your reply. Uchh, Its so hard for me to think of leaving my baby at a daycare facility. How old does the baby have to be before its accepted? I work 4 days a week and do like my job. Its awesome if you work 32 hrs a week you still get benefits! G-d knows we need them! I would love to find someone to come to my home but I have know clue how to find someone or how much it is.

Funny, Ark are my initials :)

Amy
call your state welfare office to get a list of certified daycares.  start making calls and find out whos in your price range.  Then schedule an appointment.  look at ratio, cleanliness and supervision.  you can then call the welfare office and see if they have had any complaints against them..  you can also look at local individual providers and call them they are usually less pricey but offer one on one care.  and then depending on your schedule and your finances you may be able to have someone come to your home..  home this helps.  I am an idividual provider and there are good and bad ones out ther be careful make unexpected visits and always ask questions...  lots of them
I live in Palm beach county. Where do you live? Weather kinda sucks today huh? Off from work though! Saw your previous post... starbuck sounds good. Hope you're feeling better.
I am fortunate enough that my mother will be moving to the US to watch my baby GAvin.  My MIL lives close by so she will be helping out as well.  I will look for a backup though just in case.
I would start researching daycare or nanny and get plenty of references.
Good luck!
That's too bad -- I thought we could be buddies over here :)

Here they take babies as early as 6 weeks.  It is stressful but you'll make it work.  Try and find one with a baby cam so you can watch your little one throughout the day.  My sister did that and loved it!  At least you will be able to be with him/her three full days a week.  That's awesome!
Waiting lists?! How far in advance do you need to register and how old does the baby have to be?
Please be sure that anyone who babysits knows and is currently certified in infant and child CPR.  Community certification should be renewed each year, as there are yearly changes in how CPR is administered.

It's your baby's life, after all.
Even if you were going to have a nanny and not go with daycare, you have to start looking early.  The process of interviewing takes time and some are booked, etc.  It's not too early to begin.
If working at home is a possibility, consider exploring it. I work from home 4 days a week, go into the office 1 day a week.. my partner works from home that day to watch the kids. Unfortunately not all employers can/will accomodate this.
Thank you, I am feeling much better!! I live in Orlando...weather hasn't been too bad but it's supposed to start raining harder and get windier. I had to go in to work but we may be closing early (let's keep our fingers crossed--it's slow at work today and I'm dying of boredom).
:)
If you are in the Orlando area, I had my daughter at ABC Childcare.  It's off Centenial.  I really liked it there.  The staff was great.  They accept children starting a 6 weeks old.
Not all daycares accept infants so definitely ask that up front. Most daycares that do accept infants, take them starting at 6 weeks. Also, start getting on waiting lists as soon as possible. I had a few daycares tell me that a lot of women call and get on the list as soon as they get the BFP. So start as early as possible especially if you know you will need childcare. I waited until I was 5 months pregnant to start calling around and I already feel like I waited too long.
It is alway hard to find a trust worthy person or daycare to watch your baby.  I was lucky in that my parents and sister have always watched my child.  I am ttc now, and my sister has vowed to watch the baby at $100 a week.  I live in the DC area and childcare for a baby is about $250 a week.
I have another question somewhat related. All the questions are taken for today already though. Like I said, I've looked into the daycare option too if I stay at work and am on the waiting lists already. However, I have really 99% made up my mind that I will quit my job after the baby is born in OCtober to stay home with her. WHEN should I tell my boss that I am quitting. I kind of still want that ability to go back to work if I really want to later though. I
ve already requested teh 6 weeks off for FMLA. Do you think its still appropriate to quit after I have the baby and before I go back to work? Please help.
I live in Oviedo,FL and we will put our child in Star Child, have you heard anything about them, (good or bad?) We were on a waiting list. Due Date is Oct. 3 she will start Feb 6... any thoughts?
You may want to try to find a licensed day care provider/ home based, in your town or area of work.  Personally I find the schools too "cold" for the younger ones and they dont get the attention they require.  I have worked in several day cares when I was in college and many have high turnover so make sure you look at that too.

A friend just hired a nanny to live inteh home wiht them and she is really looking forward to that b/c she wont ahve to run out to day care with he kids in the rain and snow.  (from NY).  also her cleaning will be done.
You may try if you do not go already joining a church community...  They usually have alot of teenagers like 16 or 17 year olds that could do the job for a little extra cash...  That is what my niece does right now.  And she is excellent with kids.  But be careful and make sure they are well known in church community...
Thanks to everyone. Your comments really helped alot. I will be getting on this soon!
You need to chekc if they do take infants.  We have certain places in MI that do not take infants--they are not registered. You can put up a notice in your church or place of worship and see if there are any stay at home people who would like to earn some cash if you are not going to claim it on your taxes.  Also if you are going to go to a certified daycare see if you can do childcare withholding from your check helps out on taxes at the end of the year.
I have a 5 year old daughter Mia, who has been in a daycare setting since she was an infant.  I was a bit conflicted, as all of us can be about putting her in such a setting.  Wow - was I wrong.  She had the luxury of attending "Hooked on Phonics", which is a very early letter/sound recognition program, music class and Spanish class.  She is reading at a first and second grade level; her vocabulary is outstanding, and she has very strong socialization skills.  Unfortunately, for many of us, this is not the 1960s or 70s where we all had 10 kids to play with in our immediate neighborhood.  In this crazy, fast-paced society in which we live, I think that children need to have opportunities to socialize with other kids early.  Also, we have always referred to daycare as "School", and she started kindergarten yesterday with nary a second thought as she was getting on the schoolbus.  When I asked her how "BigGirl School" was....her response was a resounding "AWESOME".....thank God my circumstances at the time sort of forced me to make a decision that I otherwise might not have made....