Maternal & Child Community
Age of fetus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Age of fetus

Hi, I have recently found out that I am pregnant and due to my circumstances, went for an u/s to determine age of the fetus.  I was told the fetus is 3mm and 5 weeks, 5 days old.  Does this seem correct?  Due to changes in partners I am trying to determine the exact father of the child.  Seeming how the fetus is more than 4 weeks, it would be my ex's.  My ex is supportive of the child however he is unsure that it is 100% his as he has read that at 3mm the fetus is only 4 weeks.  In the u/s the baby had a heart beat of 105 which was healthy and to my understanding, the fetus does not develop a noticeable heart beat until 6 weeks, which makes me lean more towards a correct age of fetus.  Any help would be wonderful!!
Well if the baby is 5w5d from your last period, that means the baby is actually only 3w5d because the way they figure the age is going according to your last lmp which is 2 weeks before your would have gotten pregnant. So I am 31w1d but my baby is actually only 29w2d. Call your doctor and ask them how they figure the age of the baby and how long you have actually been pregnant.
Mandi
I spoke to the doctor about the actual age of the fetus and this was determined by it's size, not from the date of my last emp.  I am assuming that they are telling the age of the fetus from it's size of 3mm and I was wondering if this was true to research anyone had come across.  From the u/s they did not ask what the date of my last lmp was so would the age of 5w5d be accurate?  Thanks.
The best way to tell who the father of your baby is, would be to take a DNA test once the baby is born. That way, you can be 100% sure. Good Luck
Margaret
Margaret
I know that is an option, but the father is wanting to be prepared and a part of the pregnancy if it was to be his....he doesn't want to wait until then.  I have heard that there is a dna test that can be performed at 17 weeks so that might be the best option.....thanks
if the baby is measuring 5 weeks 5 days that means you actually conceived it approximately 3 weeks and 5 days ago. Did you have pretty regular cycles? If so, then you would have ovulated about 2 weeks into your cycle (so when you conceive they consider you already 2 weeks into your pregnancy) make sense.

i wish you well. this has got to be a stressful situation for you and everyone involved. try not to stress out too much. it isn't good for you. also, so you know- it isn't uncommon throughout your pregnancy for your doctor to adjust how far along you are by a week or so either way when they remeasure the baby...so if your different partners were that close together the only way you may ever be able to tell is with DNA. There are risks with DNA testing while pregnant. This is done by amnio and has a 1 in 300 risk of miscarriage, so before you resort to that please evaluate what is best for you and your baby, not just what is best for an inpatient possible father. Seems to me if he can wait 17 weeks to find out he could wait another 23.
You can get an amnicetisis done and they can run a DNA test off of that.
I found out tht i am pregnant about three weeks ago i did an ultrasound and they told me i am 9 weeks 4 days and when i check back i know i wasnt active at that time cause i was away on business! i am wondering how do they really check the age of the fetus?
I have a related question. My girlfriend had an u/s and the doctor said she is 7 1/2 weeks pregnant on 02/15. Looking at a calendar shows that it's not my child. She swears it's mine and is making me out to be a deadbeat, but we were in different cities from December 15 - January 13. When they asked the date of her LMP she wrote 12/30 which she now says was incorrect, that it actually began 01/07. I want to keep it, if it's mine, but she wants to have an abortion. I think she wants to have an abortion because she suspects or knows that it's not mine.

Could someone apply these facts to the tests described above and tell me how likely the child is mine? We had sex up until Dec. 14 and resumed on Jan 13
Hiya, I'm not sure if this will be at all helpful but I can take a guess based on the average woman.
If your g/friend is sure her last period was 01/07, based on the average cycle, she would have ovulated on 21st or 22nd Jan meaning the baby was conceived after you got back............if her last period was 12/30 as originally stated, the baby would have been conceived 13th or 14th January..........either way, you were home so unless she was cheating on you after you got back, the chances are, its your baby.
Hope that helps!

Hayley x
I agree with petal76.  The baby would have been most likely conceived about 14 days after her LMP, which puts the date at the day you got back.  I wouldn't give her a hard time, because she is obviously having a hard time with this already.  Try to be as supportive as possible.  The extreme amount of hormones rushing through her body right now will make her more sensitive than usual and she can't do anything about that.