Maternal & Child Community
Age to teach baby to fall asleep on own

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Age to teach baby to fall asleep on own

I am in a debate with relatives as to what age you "should" teach your baby to fall asleep by themselves. I think under 6 weeks is too young but I am being pressured to put my son (4 weeks old tomorrow) to bed before he is completely sound asleep. This is so he can "learn" to fall asleep on his own. Just wanted to get an idea of what others think.
I did this around 4 months of age, but he didnt really start to "learn" until about 6 months.  It was hit and miss from 6 months to a year.  It was definately helpful that I started so early as he was used to at least trying.  You can absolutely try it at 4 weeks and if he falls asleep, great, if not pick him back up and help him get to sleep.  At 4 weeks, even the specialists and doctors would not recommed any form of sleep therapy.  he still needs mommy to help him out.   I am sure people will reply with more specific info on ages and how babies develop.  
At my daughters 4 month appt....that was a task to try and do before her 6 month appt. I still havent done it yet (daughter is 5 1/2 months). I like to rock her to sleep at night!
You can try it and see if it works at this stage, but don't be disappointed if it doesn't. For a few of my kids, it worked great, but there were others, especially my DD, who never fell asleep on her own until she was a year. Now it works great...but she had to get to that point of being aware it was "night night time". Do what works best for YOU and don't worry about the relatives. I don't know too many teenagers that need to be rocked or need a parent to sing to them to get them to sleep so eventually it does work out :)
I really don't think this is something you have to teach them, you just have to make sure you don't interfere with what they already know how to do. I mean think about how many hours in the day/night he spends sleep. It is his nature to sleep. At 4 weeks I let my son sleep where ever and when ever he wanted. I held him most a lot, even thru the night. At approx 8wks, after he would fall asleep in the bouncy seat, I would move him to the crib. After a while of this I started to notice some tired/sleepy cues like rubbing eyes and yawning. So then I started putting him in the crib whenever he started showing these cues. He has been a great sleeper ever since.. He is 17m now and at bed time I just kiss him, put him in his crib and walk away. I rarely ever hear him fuss about going to bed. I'm also a firm believer in the paci at least in the crib.

I read a book that said the average age for a baby to start developing a night time sleep pattern is 6wks but for some it will be earlier and some later. It also said the bedtime will start off later and get earlier over time. I think the thing to remember is to listen to your baby's cues and ignore your family.
we started putting them in their cribs at 4 months. they were completely out of our bed (yeah i know big no no) by 6 months. now they can't sleep anywhere but in their cribs which is good and bad.
Nezzy went into almost panic attacks when being put into her own bed... She ended up in bed with us till she was 13 months old.  Now I miss her in our bed (Sometimes I steal her and pull her in with us), but I relish being able to stretch out (I think she does too).
My don was between 6-7 months... The doctorsreccomended theFerberMethod because my son was waking so many times a night forfeedingsetc that were unneccessary.... Your baby is way too youngfor this! Do it when YOU feel its right not when others say so!
I think it's really a personal decision. My son stayed in our room in a co-sleeper until almost 5 months. He did sleep through the night most nights though. I think around 4 months is when I could put him down awake to fall asleep. The first week was a little rough, but he learned it. I would still nurse him to sleep at times though, I loved that bonding time even though everyone told me I should not do that. I was reading a book that said by 9-12 weeks babies should be going to sleep on their own, but I decided not to follow anymore books and look for cues from my baby and go from there. Every baby is different and has different needs. My son is 15 months now and has no problems going to bed on his own. Start it when you feel ready and don't let anyone pressure you into something if you don't want to do that. It will happen in time.
like so many said very well, there's no harm in trying to put your baby down to fall asleep on his own. If he doesn't fall asleep or cries, you can pick him up. What is generally not recommended is to let the baby cry himself to sleep at this age.

Like many others, when my baby was little I held her all the time. I loved cradling her and rocking her to sleep. i don't remember exactly when she started to go to sleep on her own in her bassinet. I know by 3 or 4 months, i would lay her down awake in the bassinet next to my bed and I would watch her fall asleep while I watched TV. (She was in our room for 8 months). If she had cried, I would've picked her up. But she didn't and was content to just be near us. By 5 months she was moved to a pack n play still in our room, but further from us. Again, absolutely no problems going down. At 8 months, she moved to her own crib in her own room. Despite being constantly held as an young infant, and so close to us for so long, she did great.

With this next baby, I plan on doing the same- whatever I feel like when it comes to holding and rocking her! I think part of the reason my daughter is so secure is because she has always known that we are there to respond to her needs. It's not spoiling them at this age- it's giving them the sense of security and comfort they need.
sorry for the double post...my internet was acting up.
lol my son was perfect like tanker said, never fussed.  my dd however is another story!  i have always nursed her to sleep and let her sleep with me/us so its not an easy task.  i dont regret how i have done things, breastfeeding in my bed was the best, but i do think had i let her sleep on her own it might be easier than it can be.  

at 4 weeks dont feel as though you have to let your baby already grow up,  hold your baby and do what feels right to you.  people always give advice and will tell you how to do it, but you are the mom right?  lol.   im given cr@p by my family because im just now weaning (20 months) and still part time co sleep.  they are only babies for a short time!!
Till recently I had to rock dd to sleep but when she turned 6 months she started doing it on her own.  No "teaching" was necessary, she just outgrew the rocking.  I think it's correlated for her with ability to find a comfortable position to fall asleep, which is on her side.  Also, she still can't do it without her paci  :(
My daughter started at about 6 weeks, but i didn't force it.  I would rock her for a bit and then put her in her crib.  She would fuss for a bit, but then would go fall fast asleep.  Don't let enyone pressure you into something you don't feel comfortable with.  Do it in your own time!!