Maternal & Child Community
Alcohol Consumption After Giving Birth...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Alcohol Consumption After Giving Birth...

A friend of mine just had a baby about 7 weeks ago and she wanted to know if she was aloud to start drinking alcohol yet. She's breastfeeding and if she is allowed to drink she wants to know how long she's supposed to wait to feed if she drank that day. If anyone could please answer it would be very helpful. Thank you!
Related Discussions
13 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
If she pumps, she can pump and dump.
Also wait a day before breastfeeding again and probably a good idea to drink lots of water.
Blank
134578_tn?1383690151
The beer bringing on the breast milk thing -- I have heard it's the malt, not the alcohol, and that babies don't like the breast milk that alcoholic beer produces.  But I drank non-alcoholic beer to bring on my milk, and it seemed to work as well as the fabled beer remedy.  This obviously doesn't help your friend who wants to drink, but it might help someone who has heard beer brings on breast milk but doesn't want to pass along alcohol.  
Blank
you are not suppose to drink any form of alcohol until a month after you stop breast feeding. not only can it cause problem with the child but one needs to remember that having a child takes alot from your body, so it is always wise to give your body time to heal. plus you should never drink while breast feeding.
Blank
it depends on if your friend is talking a beer or margarita or a whole party lol.  if she wants a drink then she can just give the baby a bottle for the next several hours. if she is having more than id say wait till the next day.  some lactation consultants will tell you to have a beer to help your milk drop, so i doubt just one is going to hurt.  
Blank
187316_tn?1386360282
Thank you both for your comments. I informed her of all you said and it sounds like she already started drinking but that she'll wait until tomorrow (24) hours to breast feed again.
Blank
187316_tn?1386360282
I've actually never heard the whole beer and breast milk thing. Its definantly an interesting concept. I'll have to write it down so I remember when I have my baby.
Blank
158812_tn?1189759426
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/alcohol.html

go here, and read up.....
Blank
151154_tn?1208134182
Does this mean I can't ask to substitute and IV wide open of Patron verses and epideral?????   Great, there goes my birth plan.

Seriously to the op, I agree with perty, it depends on what we are talking here.  I think a glass of wine or a beer is okay vs getting trashed.  I think we are all looking forward to a drink.  I know I am!!!!
Blank
167_tn?1374177417
Yeah, REALLY want a beer. No, more like 3 or 4. I miss sitting back with a couple of beverages. I will be doing the occasional pump and dump. For my sanity...
Blank
158812_tn?1189759426
It takes a 120lb woman 1and a half hours to metabolize one beer.  
Alcolhol enters and exits breastmilk freely, and it is burned off.  You can drink one beer and breastfeed, you cannot drink four.  

Well, you CAN drink four, but you should wait at least 7 hours before feeding again....whether or not you pump and dump.  If you don't have to pump, the alcohol will not remain in the breastmilk for an longer than the body metabolizes it......

So, if she wants to 'party it up', that's fine....
She should wait several hours to feed after that.  
Good luck!
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
you mean i can't celebrate coming home from the hospital with a kegger???
oh man ;(   but seriously, i am looking forward to an ice-cold frosty beer when all is said and done. never occured to me to ask my dr or future ped about when it'll be OK for the occasional beer. i'll put it on my list of questions (i did however know that i am supposed to "pump and dump" though).
Blank
i had a baby 2 weeks ago is it okay for me to drink enough to get tipsy?  i'm not breastfeeding or anything but i wanted to know for my own good?
Blank
If im not breastfeeding thn should I still wait awhile as far as the body healing process goes?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...