Alcohol consumption in late pregnancy
I am 32 weeks pregnant and was wondering if drinking 4 - 8 units per week of alcohol has any detrimental effect on the foetus?
I have been comsuming alcohol during my pregnancy on and off but lately have a couple of glasses every 3rd or 4th night. Do you think I have caused any damage? If so, how would I find out?
Yes, it is detrimental.  There was a study done where children who's mothers drank 1 glass of alcohol per week while pregnant were compared with children who's mothers abstained.  The children of the mothers who drank even that small amount of alcohol had lower IQ scores than the mothers who did not drink at all.

I will see if I can find the study.  Please don't drink anymore!
Here you are:  Bottom line is, SO level of alcohol has been determined to be safe during pregnancy.

Wayne State University Research:
"Sixteen percent of the children born in the United States are exposed prenatally to alcohol, making alcohol the most common neurobehavioral teratogen. Whereas the earliest reports of neurobehavioral toxicity related to drinking during pregnancy were described among children of alcoholic mothers, more recent research suggested deleterious outcomes for children who are exposed prenatally to moderate amounts of alcohol. Jacobson and Jacobson, in their review of prenatal alcohol exposure and neurobehavioral development, suggested that even the smallest dose may adversely affect the fetus."

"<b>Maternal alcohol consumption even at low levels was adversely related to child behavior; a dose-response relationship was also identified. The effect was observed at average levels of exposure of as low as 1 drink per week.</b> Although effects on mean scores for Externalizing and Aggressive behaviors were observed at low levels of prenatal alcohol exposure, effects on Delinquent behavior and Total Problem Scores were observed at moderate/heavy levels of exposure. Children with any prenatal alcohol exposure were 3.2 times as likely to have Delinquent behavior scores in the clinical range compared with nonexposed children. The relationship between prenatal alcohol exposure and adverse childhood behavior outcome persisted after controlling for other factors associated with adverse behavioral outcomes. Clinicians are often asked by pregnant women if small amounts of alcohol intake are acceptable during pregnancy. These data suggest that no alcohol during pregnancy remains the best medical advice."

[Pediatrics Vol. 108 No. 2 August 2001, p. e34]
Sorry but why would you drink while you are pregnant. The other day I was busy tiding up the garage and then we had a Bar B Que dinner and my partner had a beer. I would have loved to have had one but cannot do this to my unborn child.
As the above said it can affect your unborn child. Anything we eat or drink affects the unborn child. Its not worth it.
Im not being mean but Im concerned about your baby.

good luck and I hope all is okay.
Sorry, that should say NO level, not 'SO' level.
that's true Chleo
I only have one thing to say.. Why Risk It?? Your so lucky to be blessed with a baby.. Why put your baby through drama like that?

~*Chloe*~
Why do people like this have successful pregnancies??!!??  I could not have done more right things in my short pregnancy, and there I was on an operating table at 6.5 weeks, depressed out of my mind!  I just don't get it.  I hope, for the babies sake, everything is fine.  But people need to read a book, and listen to their Doctor!!!
I agree tiffany78. My friend drank during her pregnancy and had her baby and as far as I know hes is still ok (he will be two in Nov but they have shifted away and I dont keep in touch with her anymore).
I couldnt risk it its not worth it. My daughter was born with dislocated hips (we didnt know until she wa 2.1/2yrs old) and when she was three she went through long surgery and plaster for 51/2 months and then last year when she was five she had more surgery. This has been very hard to go through as a parent but it was something that they dont know how it happened. Its not my fault even though I do blame myself but I didnt do anything wrong during my pregnacy. She was 3 weeks early as I had toximia (sorry spelling) and when I pushed she came out all at once, thats why I blame myself but her hips could have been like that before she was born or it could have happened later on, we will never know but she is healthy and is doing very well it has not effected her at all.
Its not worth drinking in pregnancy because you can have more problems than what Ive been through

i really do hope that the baby is fine for Bindis sake as it will be hard work. Children are so precious and are here to enjoy.

Good luck
I recommend everyone to read this book: "Early intelligence" by Lise Eliot.  It explains how the brain and mind develop in the first five years of life and how EVERY SINGLE ACTION taken by the mother affects the developing baby.  She refers to a condition, called fetal alcohol syndrome, the symptoms include face and head defects, growth and mental retardation, and anomalies of the heart and other organs. PRENATAL ALCOHOL EXPOSURE IS ONE OF THE LEADING CAUSES OF MENTAL RETARDATION IN THE US.  Alcohol also increases the chances of premature delivery, miscarriage, birth complications.  Even if there is no serious malformation in the brain, children who were often drunk (yes!!!!!)in the uterus, score a lot lower in school (tests and also iq tests),their academic achievements are poor.  Want more facts?  Stop drinking if you love your child.
I agree, why take the risk?
I just don't get it! It is only 9 months. If that little life means no more to you than that, it is really sad! Please do not drink, your child will be the one to suffer in the long run. Shannon
Obviously this is a very emotional issue for everyone.  I've been doing a little reading, and believe it or not, not every doctor drives home the importance of abstaining from alcohol during pregnancy.
I have a friend who denied her pregnancies for the first trimester and continued to drink on the weekends. With her first she continued to drink occaisionally and he is definitely showing s/s of FAS.

This boy is 1 year and 1 day older than my son and is so far behind mine. At 33 months, he is still speaking as if he were 18 mos. Not to mention the physical problems he has. There is NEVER and excuse to have a drink when you are pg. Even if you are trying to get pg (if you aren't using birth control, you are trying) you should abstain from liquor.

AGGHHHHHH!!!

Sorry, needed to get that out.

Andrea
First off, as a mother you should want to give your child the best start off in life, and that means staying away from alchol and drugs and smoking.
2nd of all I have had some one in my family who drank her whole pregnancy. Even though we all begged her to stop she wouldnt. Well her baby was born beautiful and healthy. SO when she got pregnant with her 2nd child she drank again.  and threw in all are faces look my first child is fine!  The 2nd baby was born beautiful  & healthy so this went on for years with us pleading with her and ehr showing us that her babies where fine! (4 children later.
   Now her oldest one just finished KIndergarten this last year ALl the children look beautiful and seem healthy only they have learning problems and A.D.D  now she feels bad.
The moral of this story is dont gamble with your unborn babies life, just cause they look perfect for the first couple years.. its not intill they reach 4-6 years old when you realise soemthing is wrong.             Rubbie
Well you are definitely right there.  I work in labor and delivery and LOTS of the people I work with are pregnant.  LOTS of doctors say it's totally fine to have a glass of wine...especailly in the last trimester.  With my first i could NOT sleep for anything and my doc told me "just have a glass of wine in the evening".  Well, I didn't because it made me sick to think of the taste of wine then...i used chocolate milk (EW) instead...but the thing is i do know a LOT of people say it's totally fine to drink VERY moderately when you are pregnant.  I'm not trying to start a fire or encourage it...my thought process is i've miscarried enough to never do ANYTHING questionable..but lots of people do think it's totally fine in moderation.
I'm glad you said that about the Bendryl, because if desperate for sleep I'll take 1/2 of a Chlortrimetron.  In fact, I took 1/2 one last night because I woke up all stuffed up and wired.  I called my dad last night to chat and he asked me outright "Are you pregnant?"  lol  I was going to wait until 8 weeks to tell my parents, but I couldn't lie to him.  :)  So then I had to tell my mom to be fair.  They are SO excited!
Congrats, again! I keep telling my hubby I won't even tell him next time I get pg until I reach 13 weeks. I know better than that, I practically shout it from the rooftops when I am pg : )

Andrea
I understand what Kelly is saying, but these are also the same doctors who can't agree on a lot of things(whether or not prgesterone works, if episiotomies are needed, what meds are okay, etc). My advice to anyone who has a concern as to whether or not they should drink during pg do 1 of 2 things. Either look at that bottle of booze and read the warning about birth defects or find a child who has FAS or other problems because their mother drank during her pg. That might change your mind. Bottom line is they have shown a link between the two, why chance it?

I didn't drink a drop for more 2 years while TTC my son, while pg, or while I nursed him for 14 mos. My OB's (I moved from TX to WA mid-pregnancy so I had 2:) told me when I was pg it was okay to take tylenol as needed and if absolutely desperate for sleep a half dose of benadryl. I found that I didn't need the help sleeping, I just read until I passed out or listened to my hubby drone on about football : )

Andrea
Well, my comment to all those out there dogging on bindi, is this.  Have you ever had a addiction? Obviously it is easier to say dont drink, or why cant you wait 9 months.  But in reality, the problem is there.  If this is the problem, then cutting back is the main event.  The placenta is a very well put together gift from GOD.  It is a womens filter to her baby.  There is ABSOLUTLY no proof that alcohol crosses the placenta.  The government just warns that because when they started realizing that there were problems with childbirths the only thing that EVERY women did was drink back in the day.  So, for you that have to have a drink, keep it simple, No, i am not saying do everything bad to your body. But, there are so many problems with children and the mother took absolute care of herself.  I dont think that even doctors know.  T
Sure, to overcome addiction is easier said than done, however there is way too much evidence that alcohol has effects on the development of the unborn to not make a huge effort to avoid it altogether. Genetic factors, nutritional deficiencies and the birth itself can cause enough problems but that is no excuse to impose additional risks on the unborn. Recent studies even show a link between alcohol and later ADHD. So ideally any alcohol addiction should be tackled before becoming pregnant. I know it is not as easy as that but if bindi can hold off just a little bit longer, it can only be beneficial.
I'm not saying that its ok, me personally am totally against drinking while you are pregnant, although my fiances aunty who is only a couple .of years older than me drank throughout all three of pregnancies. Numerous amounts of times she would come over our house, full blown pregnant and trashed off her head, she was drinking tremendous amounts of alcohol at one time and this was not just a weekend thing, she was drunk about 3 or 4 times a week, and thats no exaduration. You would think that consuming that amount of alcohol that her children would be retarded or something, but no, they are so bright and very cluey and the oldest one is actually advanced for his age and this has been confirmed by a specialist. She must have just got lucky though!!
this post is originally from 2003
We do not know HOW much alcohol affects a fetus, for some nothing does and for others it only takes a very small amount. We just don't know. why take the risk?

I know of one girl who drank through her pregnancy, baby was born fine. Another one drank too, baby was born with deformities and horrible withdrawl, was in the hospital for weeks, when you drink, your baby drinks.
Oops, I hadn't even noticed. I guess now I wonder why it was dug up? LOL
Oops, oh thanks...lets call her and see how her preschooler is doing....
sorry but i have to post...at the hospital in my home town, they test the placenta for alchohol and drugs if its present department of human services is called...i highly advise against it...babies are a gift from god why risk it?
All of yall need to go play n traffic during rush hour. I drank more than moderately with 4 of my 5 pregnancies, an they ALL turned out fine. Yall r jus stupid an gullible as hell. No real studies have been done on the effects bc its "unethical" bc of ppl like u.
unknown,  there have been a LOT of studies done,  and there is a clear syndrome called "Fetal Alcohol Syndrome" that you can recognize babies who have those facial features.  And they turn into children with those behavior and intellectual problems.

Honestly,  in my experience,  when mothers say well I did  that and my babies turned out just fine are either very lucky,  or they aren't looking at their children with clear eyes.  

Encouraging pregnant women to drink "more than moderately" and cursing at people who educate about the dangers is just . . .  thoughtless and dangerous to the next generation.