Maternal & Child Community
All Mothers, those pregnant, and with infants or children PLEASE READ!!...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

All Mothers, those pregnant, and with infants or children PLEASE READ!!!!!

Be sure to follow the links from this website, and pay close attention to pages 7 through 9!

http://www.vaccinetruth.org/

4 out of my 5 children got shots, the 5th got the HepB in hospital at 12 hours old, and was sick at 2weeks old, hospitalized at 5 weeks old for 6 days, but the drs all denied it was from the shot and would not report it.  We refused to have him further exposed to shots, but his pediatrician kept after us and after us, making me wonder all the time, and making us feel like horrible parents.  So then we buckled and allowed him to get the DTaP thinking if he was going to get anything, he would get tetanus or diptheria.  He got sick again, and did not require hospitalization, but required breathing treatments at home... again, dr denied shot was the cause.  He also had many other symptoms of reaction to the shots, like "clogged tear ducts" (which I found out was something else).  We are not allowing him or our other kids to get any more shots, because of what we have uncovered as a result of researching this.  Our dr even gave us a propaganda tool used to scare parents, a video we had to watch, but I would think more parents should be scared of this!  Again, follow the links, and at least read most of the pages, it is long and detailed, but any concerned parent should be aware!
My DH has been talking to me about several reasons why not to get the baby immunized.  I thought he was crazy, and then i began researching myself.  The rise in autism has been directly linked to shots as well. I discovered that some things can be given orally and it removes any side effect dangers. people think I am crazy when I tell them we are not getting immunized. if there were ever an outbreak, you can still get shots.  In the news a few weeks ago they are discovering that even the Chicken Pox vaccine is wearing off and children are getting Chicken Pox later in life when they become more deadly or harmful!! It sounds crazy, but I wish more parents would investigate for theirselves. The link below is from my state and includes exempt forms and letters so that your child may still ateend school. it may have links to other states as well.

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/georgia.htm
hi there i haven't read through the site yet but would agree i have three children already and my 12 year old just finished getting her baby shots my 8 year old still needs more and my 3 year old well lets just say hes had 2 and i don't plan to get the rest until he is much older so he has the chance to build up is immunity to things on his own but yes all of my children have gotten sick as infants when they had their shots hence why we have waited and the Dr school friends all try to make me out to be a horrible mother that im endangering my kids in some way oh well there opinion my girls run a a b average at school and are hardly sick and my son other then his ears which is and inherited problem  is hardly ever sick and hes in the 95 percentile for his developmental age so i don't think i have hurt them in any way i think i may of helped them instead thanks for the link will make good reading before bed  
There has NOT been a link between shots and autism. What you are finding are extremist type websites meant to create a sense of panick and alarm.

Some children react to vaccinations, my sister did, but the vast majority do not and the vaccinations are well worth it versus the illnesses they prevent running rampant again.

Research accedited medical websites like the CDC, the AAP, and the JAMA/AMA.

Many years ago, there was much fear and propaganda put forth about autism and childhood vaccines.  Any possible link has been disproven.

Of course, as with anything, you will find alarmist regarding virtually any subject you care to research.  Infant/child vaccines are no different.  

Almost every child is vaccinated, and almost every child gets sick from something or other frequently in childhood.  I promise you, an unvaccinated child can still get ill with the types of things you describe.  

The only reason that unvaccinated children don't often get formerly serious childhood illnesses, is that the MAJORITY of other children are vaccinated.  If more and more parents choose not to vaccinate, these diseases will return.  You may think measles or other illnesses are only mild annoyances, but every year a few unfortunate children die from them.  

Rubella, (german measles) may only be a minor illness to YOUR child, but if a non-immune pregnant woman happens to contract it from your unvaccinated child, her baby may suffer horrendous consequences. Adults do lose immunity to german measles occasionally, and need revaccination.

So your decision not to vaccinate can adversly affect your child if they get one of these diseases, but it can also affect susceptible adults.  I took care of a non immune adult pregnant woman with chicken pox once, and she DID almost die, and wound up losing her almost term baby.  

The vaccine has been thimerson (mercury) free for oh, about 10 years or so.  
I too was nervous about immunizing my daugher when she was an infant....what I did to make it less hard on her was to do ONE shot at a time.....they try and team them up and make it quick and easy, but I think it was better to spread them out which I did....

Also, when your child is of school age, they are required, so d*mned if you do and d*mned if you don't.

Anyhow that is what I did and plan to on #2.....I wait until the very last time they can have it, the oldest age that it is given before I let them...my doctor was pretty understanding and didn't make me feel bad at all.

I did not opt however for the chicken pox vaccine later down the road...figured it does not actually prevent it, so why do it?

I think we probably ALL had chicken pox as kids, right?  

JT
I have two children, and this will be my third...

I haven't had any problems with my two children, and both of them got immunized when they wrere supossed to at very young ages and they haven't missed and apt yet.  

My son is the smartest in his class, and my daughter is extremly bright.  

I still suggest and believe that getting your children immunized when they are supossed to is the best thing to do!
There are reason certain diseases are making a come back in the country.  It is from people that are not vacinated.  I can understand that certain people would like to wait and not cause pain for thaeir babies.  If they do get the certain time frame that is required wonderful.

If certain people even do more research they are now determining that autism is a genteic mutation that occurs.  And that yes it could be activated by shots or it could be activated by a baby tripping and falling or some other trigger in the body that tells it to start.  

As more research comes out about autism--you will see that it is not directly linked to vaccines.  I guess I was lucky my children never had a reaction to any of their vaccines other than being a little cranky the night of the shot.

I suggest parents do full research not just typing in"why not to vaccinate" or "reasons not to vacciante'  Do the research on why you should vaccinate.
About to be a new mom and this hasn't been the first time that I've heard of this.  But my question is, how do they go to school without having their immunizations? I couldnt even get into college without my immunization card although I was already in my 20's when I went in.
I have read in China they don't Vaccinate until the child is 2yrs old so they have time to develop their immune systems. I am also on the fence with this, this will be my 2nd child and my son had all his shots, i read later however that it causes other things other than the whole Autism thing (scare), such as ADHD, ADD, ect. We did find out my son had ADHD a few yrs back, he is 9 now, although im not to sure how much i believe in this disorder, i was hyper as a child myself, and did not need to be medicated, I am still an active adult (when I am  not prego, lol). I wont medicate him either. We control his hyperness through diet. Anyways i agree with the above poster about spreading out the vaccines, and not letting them give 6-9 different ones at one time, logically it would seem to over load a immature immune system. Yes some children can handle it, and some cant and have died. I don't understand why a newborn baby needs to get a Hep B shot unless his mother is a carrier, its a blood thing, sex, or drug use and newborns are not going to get any exposure to things in that nature until they are older, same with the tetanus vaccine, maybe I am wrong here, but a newborn is not going to be exposed to anything to give them tetanus either, and these they give to them at birth. So the place I am at, at the moment with my baby's vaccines is wait until her little immature immune system has some time to establish itself, and then we will cross the next bridge when we get there. Alot of prayer about this, no one knows more about this than God himself, and we will wait on his answer.
Has anybody come across a Dr. and/or clinic that says that you HAVE to give immunizations?
With my son my Dr. told me that in this case we didn't have a choice. I didn't question it because I think they are importnant and all my kids have had them.
I'm assuming it's because of the spina bifida and all the other problems he has.

I was just wondering if anybody else has heard or experianced this, or if our situation is jsut a special case?
Some of these opinions may be extremists getting a bit radical. However, being a teacher, I have seen several students who have received the chicken pox vaccine who get chicken pox more than one in light cases. I will definately NOT be getting this vaccine. There is also a Hep. shot (not sure if it's A or B, so I don't want to say for sure) that caused a good friend of mine's child to be life flighted to a medical trauma center. The doctor told her that he wouldn't have recommended that shot (she got it at the health dept) because there isn't enough long term research on it. There are some shots I agree with and some (like chicken pox) that am 100% against!!!!!
I don't think they can. My second daughter needed a vaccination and the school sent a letter stating that she wouldn't be able to attend school if she didn't have her vaccinations up to date by the time school started. But I did a little bit of research on my own and what I found over and over again seems that the benefits of vaccinating our children when they're supposed to be outweigh the risks.
The laws vary by state, but in most you can file a religious objection to vaccines and they are still allowed in.

Autism clearly has a genetic basis.  They just haven't discovered the actual genetic defect yet.  Vaccines are just so common that it's easy to blame them if your child gets sick relatively near a vaccination time, when in fact it's just coincidence most of the time.

I had a bad case of the flu right before I ruptured a disc in my back.  Did the flu cause it?  No, even though the two events happened in the same time frame.  
my dh and i recently looked at the recommended schedule for childhood immunizations in a parenting magazine. he is a pharmacist, and is consequently all in favor of vaccinations. however, looking at the schedule, we both agreed that there are some vaccines on that list that are simply unneccessary, and that many of them are given too close together. we will vaccinate our daughter, but we will make sure that they are not all administered at once. some parents and doctors will give a child many shots at one visit for the convenience of the parents (less appointments to make). basically, we will have our child vaccinated for the diseases that we were vaccinated for as children (the article even listed vaccines for things like roto virus and ear infections). we too will probably wait until the latest recommended age for most vaccines. also, apparently you do have the option of having the doctor write a prescription for the vaccines instead of using the ones stored in the doctor's office. these vaccines cost more due to shorter shelf life, but also have less preservatives in them, which is what many people think is linked to the increasing incidence of autism. the only one i'm not sure of is the chicken pox vaccine, and i will research it more before i make my decision. i have seen children who have been vaccinated get the illness, and my concern is that if she isn't fully immune from the vaccine, she may get a serious case when she's older. but then again, most schools require it. so i don't know about that one yet.

and that's my advice to everyone- please don't flat out say "no vaccines." look into each one and why it is administered.
After my 2nd daughter was diagnosed with "Viral Meningitis" at 6 weeks old (exactly 10 days after receiving the Hep B Shot)... and almost losing her because of the illness....  I swore I would never let another child get that shot.  More over my oldest got the Chicken Pox shot and has gotten them in 3 different light cases.  Either way, I want to skip both of those shots with this baby.  Not sure the fiancee' agrees with me yet or not.

In schools if you present a religious belief or something to show why you don't have your child vaccinated, they cannot stop the child from being in school.

Read the link before commenting, all the things pro-vaccine are things I formally believed.  Until I realized who funds the CDC,  AAP, and other so called "experts".  The woman who paoted this website is not some cuke.  She was in medical school while doing her research, and has detailed sources some from the manufacturers of the shots themselves.  Request the insert from your dr, and then look up the ingredients in the shot.  Im not saying believe everything someone tells you, thats what we all have been doing for so long.  Follow the money, and even though it doesnt make sense, nothing having to do with greed and pride of not admitting you were wrong (not you, the drs, etc.)  is always somewhere behind it.
Yes, there have been kids that have gotten sick and even died because of immunizations, but how many kids have gotten sick and died because they DIDN"T get the shots??

From what my Dr. explained to me, there are WAY more children that have gotten sick because they didn't get the shots.

I think the problem with these so called experts that don't agree with immunizations, is they find every bad thing they can about these shots but ignore all the good they can do, the good they do for millions of children, the lives it has actually saved.
I know out here you do need to have your kids vaccinations up to date in order to place them in school.  My sil was really upset, she was against it, but caved because she really didn't have much choice, but I think there is a loop whole for religion.  I know that her other 2 kids were vaccinated on time and are very healthy and do well in school.  I was vaccinated and graduated with almost a perfect GPA from high school, as did my big sis and my little brother is really bright, just not as concerned with school, but bright and an amazing football player, going off to college next year to play.  Anyway, I agree that sometimes medications aren't always the answer, we went to a chiropractor when we could not shake the ear infections and had problems with my son's breathing.  In a few trips, he was a new baby!  I would do it all over again if I had to, who knows with this one.  I would not want my little guys to get really sick though and I trust their Dr.  I know I had all of my vaccinations and I came out fine.  My nephew was just diagnosed with autism and ADHD and we were told it was a genetic thing. All of the research my sis did pointed to that too.  It really is up to the parent and their wishes though.
I have had shingles, and it is no fun.  If a chicken pox vaccine would prevent later getting shingles, I am all for it.
I do suggest doing tons of research before making any decisions either way but in the same token that people are saying the pharmaceudical companies are jsut out to make money, this society is always out to keep us in fear.  There is always something new being invented for us to be afraid of.
Case in point:
I know a million people who refuse to get the flu shot because they have come down with the flu shortly after getting th shot and they're reasonsing is that the vaccine is actually injecting them with the virus so your body can build up an immunity... that's simply not the way vaccines work.  What sense does that make?  Get a vaccine while actually getting the disease????
If you got the flu after the flu shot it's because it's flu season and you got the flu before the shot was able to take hold and that shot doesn't always protect someone from every strain of the flu.
I wrestled with not vaccinating my daugher and realized that these diseases don't exist anymore beause of the everyone being vaccinated. If we stopped they would return and it's hard enough sending your child off to sachool and worried if someone is about to shoot up the halls nevermind wondering if they are going to come down with the pague or small pox.
I do, however, agree with one poster who said that they should be spaced out.  My pediatrician does NOT do the 5 in 1... meaning the 5 major shots in 1 day.  That's a lot for anyone to take and a reaction, albeit a fever or crankiness or just the fact that you're getting 5 f-ing shots in one day, isn't fair to anyone and I will not go see a dr who practices that way.
One more side note, as it is a personal decision, I wouldn't go to a dr that made me feel like an idiot for quetioning the whole vaccination process nor would I continue seeing mine if he refused to talk to me in depth about it.  When I asked him exactly what shot schedule she was on so I could research it before I said yes to it, he was more than happy to oblige.... as well he should be.
Good luck ladies!
Conspiracy theorists abound. You are right, perhaps I should not take the word of hudnreds of thousands, p[erhaps millions of cdoctors versus that one lone med student. how silly of me to put all my eggs in one basket.

Bottom line, these so called links have been debunked by organizations worldwide, not just the docs in the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies like you assert. I agree with some folks who want to do a delayed vaccination schedule. but remember some of these diseases are fatal in infancy and should someone near you or your older chiuldren come in contact with someone with the disease, it can be devestating. Pay heed to where you live and to the news.

Here in the Seattle area, three or four times a year we have mass panick amongst the non-vaccinators because immigrants have come over from china or elsewhere and the kids have measles or something of the like and everyone who decided against vaccinating is now freaking out because they can't just rely on the rest of us to prevent the disease. Kids end up sick, news broadcasts exactly where the affected children ate ice cream, bought their clothes, what park they went to, etc.

Make an educated decision, don't get swept up into the extremist and alarmist hype. Just wait, in a few years vaccines will be linked to obesity...
It's very hostile to call people extremists and radicals just because one does not personally agree with them.  The fact is there is no authoritative source on consequences.  I personally grant the vaccine industry no high ground (or credibility) ever since they snuck their self-protection waiver into the Patriot Act (yes, the Patriot Act) that they could not be sued for all the babies they poisoned with mercury in the 1990s--now they can never be sued for any of the damages done.  The thimerosal scandal has a very interesting well-documented history if you're not familiar with it (and don't believe anything like that could ever happen because it's the "invention" of radicals). Check NYT or Time magazine or anywhere for details.

There are many reputable sources of information on the dangers of vaccines.  I recommend reading what it might be more respectful to call "alternative" viewpoints on vaccination at a journal like http://www.mothering.com/guest_editors/quiet_place/115.html before jumping to conclusions.  

If you do reach the conclusion that you don't want to vaccine or wait or just partially vaccinate, note that schools, daycares, etc. may try to tell you you have to do so but you don't (it's unconstitutional) if you seek a medical or religious waiver (don't need to be member of a specific church).  See http://www.gulfwarvets.com/waiver.htm for information on how to resist the pressure if this is your informed decision.

disagree with the powers that be, and be prepared to be labeled a "radical", "extremist", "freak", trouble-maker, or nutjob.  No offense taken.  The inserts from the shots I got from my dr, had thimerosol (sp) in list of ingredients.  Not all but some.  Thats not all:

aborted fetal tissue

formeldehyde

monkey kidney tissue

chicken embryo cells (and whatever comes with that)

(and I was worried about candy!)

I am not trying to tell ppl dont get shots, Im saying research and make informed decision, rather than just doing it bc you are told.  Almost everyone is biased one way or another.  And since I cant do the science myself, I have to sort through all the junk and make a decision for myself.