Maternal & Child Community
Allergy medicine while pregnant
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Allergy medicine while pregnant

I am alittle over 10 weeks pregnant and my allergies are miserable. I know I can take benadryl and believe my I do but I can't take it during the day because it makes me sleepy. Can people out there tell me if there is anything else I can take. Have any of you had to take allergy medicine? I am at my wits end.
Related Discussions
11 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
You can take Sudafed for a nasal decongestant, but I don't know if that would help with your allergies or not.  Luckily, I have never suffered from them so don't know how they feel.  I have a sinus infection right now though and have been taking Sudafed for over a week.  It is one of the few medications on a list my doctor was able to give me as OK.
Blank
174515_tn?1191710869
my doctor suggested chlor trimeton. i take the walmart brand (chlor tabs) in 4 mg strength cause the brand name is 12 mg and i figure lower is better. it helps me alot.
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
my dh is a pharmacist and would not let me take benedryl, especially in the first trimester. neither would my doctor. during the first trimester, all they let me take for congestion was sudafed. in general, antihistimines like benedryl, allegra, etc... are not great to take. as soon as i was into the second trimester, they let me start taking flonase. it does help a bit.
Blank
I too have bad allergies and was on Zyrtec 10mg (prescription) prior to being pregnant.  My OB said that there was no problem on continuing while I was pregnant.  It is a category B drug (same as Benadryl) and was leary about continuing the pills.   I couldn't take the allergies, but dealt with it until the second trimester and finally had to give in (it was springtime)...I reduced my dosage to one every other day instead of every day.  
Blank
158812_tn?1189759426
My allergies are bad as well. My dr. said that I cannot take anything until 13 weeks.  I am now 14, so I will treat it very conservatively.  Sorry you have to go through this too..........
Blank
You are supposed to stay away with any type of "D" medicine, but there are still prescription meds that you can have. I was told that you CANNOT have Allegra, Allegra D, or Claritin D ("D" class meds), but you can have Zyrtec. I have been taking Zyrtec daily (I am 24 weeks pregnant). Good luck ... the allergy season is bad enough without being limited to the remedies you can seek! ;0)
Blank
Everywhere I read said Benadryl is fine. I have been taking one a day because i could not stand it. I guess I will find out if it did anything to the fetus as I am having a CVS next week.
Blank
93654_tn?1247502934
Benadryl is fine, according to my RE and obgyn, but it does make you sleepy. My RE said Clariten is fine to take and my obgyn said Sudafed is okay.

Just make sure you drink a lot of water when taking any kind of decongestant.
Blank
I took Zyrtec. Not "D" though. My Dr. said it wasn't ok.
Blank
does anyone know how the babies condtions were at birth for mothers who took zyrtec while pregnant?
Blank
93654_tn?1247502934
I resumed Zyrtec when I was around 20 weeks pg (after this was first posted) and took it through the end of the pregnancy with no effects on my son.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank