Maternal & Child Community
Always hungry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Always hungry

I have a 10 day old and I am breast feeding and supplementing with formula and it doesn't seem to be enough.  She nurses for an hour on and off and then I top her off with 1 to 2 onces and that still doesn't seem to be enough.  She is up for some times over 4 hours at a time during the day.  Then she gets so tired that at night she sleep for almost 7 hours.  I don't know what to do.
Well this is only my opinion, but I think it sounds great! I would much rather get 7 hours of sleep at night and have my baby awake longer during the day.And its very normal for a nursing session to take that long for some babies when they are that young. Mine always nursed for an hour at a time during the first two months.

When she is awake is she not happy and content? Is that why you say it "doesn't seem to be enough"
When she is awake she is content for a few minutes then she seems like she is hungry again and I don't know what to do.. She has been up now for about 6 hours with only little cat naps.  I don't want to over feed her but she is always hungry.  I am so tired and don't know what to do.
While she is nursing do you hear her drinking and swallowing and does your milk seem to be abundant? Because if you aren't making enough milk, that could be why she always seems hungry.Do you think that might be a possibility? Or are you confident you are making lots of milk?

Babies are pretty good about not over-eating. They stop when they are full.If she still seems hungry then she probably is.