Maternal & Child Community
Am I having a miscarriage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Am I having a miscarriage?

Was just wondering if anyone has a similar story to mine, I know all women are different but I feel like there's no one to help me!
I'm 12 weeks 4 days pregnant today (Sunday) but I think I'm having a miscarriage.
On Thursday afternoon I had some pains low down on my left side, but I ignored them, then had the same pain in the same place that night, again I ignored it. The next morning I wiped myself and I had a tiny bit of spotting, it was pink/brown. I wasn't really that concerned but made an appointment with my GP anyway, but he made me feel worse he checked for a heart beat but couldn't find one. He refered me for an emgergany scan but they couldn't fit me in until Tuesday (4 days later). I have my normal 12w scan booked on Monday at 5pm anyway!! I was told to sit tight, easy for them to say! My neighbour said if I went to A&E they would scan me, they didn't! They checked my blood, urine ect and I had an internal, my cerix was closed but there was a bit of blood and mucous. He said he thinks I'm fine but I might have just caught the very beginging of my miscarriage. He also told me not to worry about not hearing a heartbeat as I'm only 12 weeks. I woke up at about half 5 the next morning with terrible cramps and there was blood in my knickers. I went to the toilet and quite a lot of (gloopy) blood came out. Sometime after a warm bath I passed a blood clot about the size and shape of a man finger I thought it was the baby, was awful but it wasn't. The pain and bleeding has calmed down a lot since then. I think I know what's happening but I'm clinging on to hope as my friend experienced the same thing every month but went on to have aa 8lb baby girl. It doesn't seem fair that I have to wait until Monday to know what's going on! Every Thursday I was one more week pregnant, each week felt like an acheivment, and to get to the 12 week mark was just brilliant, I know anything can happen at any time but I really thought I'd be ok and out of the danger stage! :( x
Hi!
I can understand that this is very traumatic for you. During pregnancy, many women have bleeding during the time they would have expected their periods.  However, these are cyclical, come once every month. The only way to confirm if this is a miscarriage or not is take blood test for HCG estimation 48 hours apart. If the levels are rising or doubling, then chances of pregnancy are good. If the levels are falling, you had a miscarriage. Take care!