Maternal & Child Community
Amoxicillin and Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Amoxicillin and Pregnancy

Howdy all! OKay due to pregnancy I cannot remember if i asked this question before or not. As you know I went to the dentist last week... i need a root canal... eeekkk!
well i was perscribed Amoxil 500mg, well i have been hesitante to fill the prescription b/c I am 27 weeks pregnant.
I called the dentist and they said I need to take them . My question is, has anyone taken Amoxil while pregnant?I am super paranoid to take them, I love my baby and I dont want to hurt it.
Any advice is GREATLY appriciated..
I agree, call your Dr. and ask them for your own piece of mind.  I've seen some pregnant women fill that at the pharmacy I work at, but it's always best to run it by your ob first.  It may be worse to let the infection go on than it is to treat it.  I know that there are some medications that you can safely take, but if you let something like an infection go on it can get worse and make you and your baby sick.  Hope you feel better soon.
My doctor gave me amoxicillin 500mg, for an infection he thought I had. And after taking it for a week I miscarried. I can't say it was due to taking the amoxicillin but was in the back of my head when it happened. I would call your OB and ask them first. Good luck!
My 1st pregnancy I took it, don't remember the dosage, for a sinus infection/bronchitis. The baby was fine, it is safe to take when pregnant.
amoxicillin is okay to take while pregnant. Your dentist is a doctor too, and he wouldn't do anything to you that would harm your baby. Trust me, I work in a dental office.
I had a lot of UTI's for a while and I told my dr. is was trying to get pregnant and she gave me amoxicillin (a lot!!! after a while she trusted me enough to give me a good supply so I could use it whenever I needed it). She said you could "bathe in it and it would be safe". Yeah, something about the way this antibiotic works.
THank you all for replying, i feel much better about taking this now!
Your the best!
No long-term studies I could find.
This may help:
http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/amoxicillin.html