Maternal & Child Community
Any complaints on your episiotomy repair?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

After my 6 weeks postpartum visit, I decide to look at my episiotomy repair site and found the repair to be a really sloppy job where the last stitch toward the vaginal opening didn't quite close and my last stitch away from the vaginal opening still itches whenever I go to the bathroom or my pants rub against it.  My husband is suggesting that I go to my OB again for a look and possibly redo the repair.  That sounds really overboard to me.  But he's probably just angry to see the result of the repair.  Does anyone has a repair that they are satisfied with?  I figure all the OB does the repair very quickly and it's no cosmetic surgery in their mind.
I think it's normal for it to itch for a while but if you have consern, go see your doc. I have heard of stories of bad episiotomy and the scar being painful for over a year.
I don't know how your OB did it but mine did the stiches inside and when I asked him how many stiches he did he just said the more the better and I haven't had any problem with it
I am very happy with my repair. The doctor spent a good half hour stopping my bleeding and stitching me I only had 3 stitches. I had a little swelling and discomfort for about 5 days and then the swelling went down and it has been fine since. I wasn't game to look until 6 months after and was surprised to see a little discolouration to the skin and that was all. I have no scar tissue or lumps and bumps and it is not at all painful. As for fixing it I think the only way to do that is to do another epesiotony and then restitch. Not really a nice idea. You may just need to heal a little more. By all means let your gyno know that you are noyt happy and get their advice on it. Good Luck.
With my second, I had about two external stiches, but htey deffinately changed the feel and (Im assuming) the appearance of the vaginal opening/lips.  I went to my dr., who I hold in very high esteem and rely on completely, and was told that there is nothing to do about this, that the skin streches and changes shapes and that it has nothing to do with the stiches.  Also, as far as i know, the only repair drs are willing to do on episiotomy sites are if the stiches left the vagina too tight/roomy, and it is affecting sex.  it is no small matter to fix, as they cant just restich you - they have to cut the skin to expose raw tissue, so that it will repair togethor.  Doing anything without cutting would be like taping your fingers togethor - you could leave them like that for years, it wouldnt make them grow into one finger.  I know this because my sis-in-law was stiched too tight, and explored all the options.  In the end, she decided she would suffer for a few weeks till things streched, because she did not want to go through the pain of another episiotomy.  The itching is perfectly normal, it will go away eventually.

Good luck whatever you decide:):)
My friend had a bad repair after the birth of her second child (and last) and had a little extra flap of skin (tmi) that was very painful during sex (almost two years later)....so she went back to her OB and they scheduled her for a minor surgery that repaired it and now she's much happier.
I have been very unhappy with the repair job my dr did.  I had a pretty big episiotomy, and he seemed to stitch it up very quickly, and didn't check on it again for the rest of my stay in the hospital.  Not to scare anyone, but it STILL hurts when I have sex, and my son is nineteen months old!  I'm hoping after I have my daugher (due February 23rd) my new dr can fix it and I won't continue to have these problems.
oh my!!! And i'm stressing about having another c-section, lord! I don't know which is worse now! :(
I HATE the way she (my ob/gyn) stitched me up.  I had a few internal stitches done and my DD is already 3 1/2 months and it still hurts.  I can't wait for it to go away (if it ever does).
I never received an episiotomy but tore pretty bad for my first child. They told me they lost count of the amount of stitches. Anyway, i have to say they did a very bad job with the stitching, as a piece of skin that should have been stitched on the inside was sticking out and made sex very painful for quite awhile. My only options were to cut again and resow which to me was just too much to go through again, or to just use cream to help it heal. The latter i chose and i still feel to this day(5 years later) that it is still senstive sometimes to have sex.
It's been 37 years since my episiotomy and after many reoccuring vaginal infections I discovered a small hole where the incision was made because I had small little browns spots on my toilet tissue there (discovered when looking to see if I had my period).  When I brought it to the attention of my ob/gyn he told me is was from the episitomy and that sometimes the cut goes through to the rectal wall.    So imagine that, minute amounts of  feces in my vagina, usually only after sex.  I am now hoping to find a doctor who is very experienced in repairing this because even at age 56 I have the good fortune to have found a wonderful man to enjoy sexually and the bacterial infections are a plague!
i tore..the dr didnt have a chance to cut me..i didnt tear downwards, i tore upwards and he never really told me how many stitches i got but i think a nurse mentioned quite a few..he said it wasnt that bad but he also didnt think the baby would fit...and my ds was 6lbs 15 oz...not big not small...go figure..it hurt afterwards and actually it still does sometimes..i dont want to have sex anymore because sometimes it hurts...i tried looking and it looks fine however i feel a lil lump at one place which i think is how it healed...the dr said it healed very well..my mom said it hurt her for about 5 years...but she also tore to her anus because i was feet first(they were about to give her a c-section B
BUT my foot came out..lol sorry
My experience is not being stitched back properly. The best way to explain it is imagine layers of a skirt being sewn together, but the under layer is not in the proper place. I had more than a few stitches going into the vagina even. Now two years later I found out why things are wonky down there. When I have a movement, I get tons of pressure in my perineum, the feces is being directed there, instead of out my anus, due to things being shifted so much. I dread what the doctor is going to say. I know surgery is going to be involved. We were without insurance after DD3 was born so I never got a chance other than my 6 week to get things looked over. So this is my first chance to get things fixed, only now we moved out of state from our family, so there is no family support for me either. I recommend to one and all, if something feels off SHOUT about it. You know your body best. If the doctor you are seeing says that there is nothing wrong but you still feel there is, get another opinion. Second opinions make all the difference. I have three children and my middle, a son, has PDD-NOS, mild autism, I was told for years and years by military doctors that he was fine, I was over reacting, even foolish. So we lost years of helping him to learn better. Never just roll over ladies, you have to make yourselves heard!! Blessings to all!
I delivered a 10lb 9oz baby vaginally and had to have a 4th degree episiotomy (the worse) My dr. spent 45 mins. stitching me up!  Afterward was the most pain I've ever felt in my life.  It took EVERY bit of 6 wks to heal up and still to this day (2 1/2 yrs later) I still have problems, using the bathroom & sex.  When I have a bowel movement, if it's not firm, it is almost impossible to clean my rectal area with tissue.  It's like my rectal area stll allows "poop" to come out because it doesn't close tight enough or something.  It'll leak a little afterwards and cause my rectal area to become raw sometimes. Sex is pretty much impossible b/c if my husbands penis comes out a lil too far, it'll slide down my vagina towards my rectum, which is VERY painful. Since where I was sewn up didn't go back to normal, it's not so much "seperate" anymore. There have been many times where this has happened and his penis has almost went into my rectum. Painful! It has made sex, a chore and something I am very nervous about now. I suggest ladies if you are pushing for close to 2 hrs you DEMAND a c-section b/c something is not going right. I pushed for 2 hrs and turned out my baby was WAY TOO big! If your dr says it's "normal" just remember NO 2 deliveries are EVER the same!!! Remember your conscience is usually right! It's your baby, your body and your decision!!!
I had my first baby by csection in 2006.  I had my second son 6 months ago and was determined to have a vbac so i got a midwife.  I ended up having a 3rd degree tear which was sewn up great by a dr there.  But 2 weeks later i went back into the hospital for fever and chills and they suggested I get a d&c cause they suspected leftover placenta in my uterus.  I was asleep when they did it and when i woke up the dr. (different dr. from the one who originally sewed me) told me that after the d&c he removed my top layer of stitches and restitched it to make things tighter.  That was a BIG mistake cause a week later when i was at home i saw that he had left the top of my perineum open!  He basically overlapped one side of my perineum over the other cause he wound the stitching so tight.  2 weeks later i went to see another OB to get her opinion on the stitching and that was another BIG mistake cause she ended up being so forceful on checking me down there that she pulled open a stitch on the inside edge of my vagina.  I never healed from that and was in pain months later.  5 wks ago another OB did a repair on me and i can't say i'm positive things will work out this time because my perineum is so puffy and big and seems to start alot earlier than it did before.  And seems like the puffiness is affecting the right side of a certain part by the perineum cause it looks like it's pulling skin there.  I am just praying for puffiness to go down.  And also things will feel normal again.  I have been severly depressed on and off cause of all the traumatic events from this vaginal delivery.  My csection was a dream compared to this.  If i am lucky enough to become pregnant again in the future i will definitely get a csection.  I think i would've healed fine if that dr. didn't redo my stitches without my consent after my d&c.  
I have had a horrible episiotomy my dr stiched me wrong i had one solid stich from the rectal opening to my vaginal opening the top stich tore when the had to reach back up to rip the after birth out and on top of it not healing for over 31/2 months my dr realized that she had stiched inner tissue on the outside she had to burn it off it took another 3 weeks to heal at that point i hadn't been able to be with my husband it had been almost 6 month since we had been able to be together sexualy talk about a horrible experance i just pray with my next one that i have a better dr
I had my daughter 5 yrs ago and well here recentley it feels like the spot where my episiotomy was done has tore or something. is that possible?
I had a 3rd degree tear and received 30+ stitches.  I was told that the doc did most of the stitches "internally".  Thankfully I never had any prolonged pain in association with the tear/repair and sex has been fine.

HOWEVER...my daughter is now 2.5 and I thought I might have a yeast infection recently so I actually LOOKED down there (yes, first time since she was born!).  I am SAD by how different it looks down there!  It definitely does not look like it once did.  

I guess I should be thankful that I don't have pain associated with it and a husband who loves me regardless...but it's embarassing to think how different I look now 'down below!'.
My little boy is 7 months old and i haven't been able tohave sex yet. I have tried but couldn't do it. It seems i have been stitched up too tightly even though there is a gap at the top of the stitching. My stitches also came out after about 3 days nd the wound was left to heal on its own. I have had 12 courses of antibiotics, been referred for a 3rd opinion and am booked in for surgery in Jan for a re job. I am dreading it but if it makes me better long term i'm going to have to. Good luck to you all. Jo
I have also been told that if i have another bub (unlikely) I will have an automatic section at 38 weeks. My bub was 9lb but was a forceps delivery. I lost 6 pints of blood having him and had 4 transfusions afterwards. They should have given me a section because the repair job in my opinion was pretty shabby.
i had my 4th degree episiotomy 18 months ago have always had probs with sex and just recently during sex it busted open now i am in pain and i am worried as my second child is duein 2.5 months
I had 4th degree tearing completely thru with my first baby.  I was scared when baby #2 was about to be born.  I had been in alot of pain for about 2 years from the tearing & had issues.  I fugured I may as well go vaginal as the second one couldn't do any more damage, but I wasn't stitched enough.  I was warned that the scar tissue doesn't stretch as much so they would need to cut, but I wanted a repair anyway.  The second time around I had been cut, but I had the equivalent of 3rd degree stitches, maybe wouldn't have needed so many if I had been sewn tighter last time.  I healed quickly & way less pain that the first one.  I think that I was in such bad shape after my first baby that it was a mess.  I look way better & feel better after baby #2.  Hang in there, maybe yours will go smoothly too, congrats!
my little girl is 7months, my internal stitches and external stitches pulled open within a week of having her, then got infected, after my course of antibiotics they couldn't resoucher so i had to heal naturally.... very uncomfortable and sore! can't even contemplate sex yet! have had untold courses of antibiotics, 5operations of burning my skin and resouchering, and still not healed! check-up on wed i guess i'll have to have another op :-/ (what's worse is i always wanted a c-sec) anyone had something simular? any sdvice on other courses of action i could take? just want to be better!
I had a horrible birth experience, with nurses having Christmas party while the baby was crowning and I was dilated for 3 hours with nobody checking on us! Finally my husband went to drag out a nurse from their party and they had me push for 1 1/2 h and because the baby's head was big (37 cm circumference) he was right there but could not come out. The resident dr pushed me to have an episiotomy and God only knows how bad it went, he was stitching for 45 minutes down there. It healed OK but as a result of the cut, my rectum and bladder prolapsed. Now I have painful bowel movements, incontinence, painful sex and frequent urinary tract infections. I feel constantly that somebody kicked me down there, or that I went down a rocky hill on a bike with the wrong seat... Nobody would tell me the whole truth about how bad the whole perineal area is, as they cover up for each other, they (the fam dr, the uro-gyno, etc)  all know each other! its been 15 months already and I am in so much pain and am so depressed I don't think I can have another child if now, just walking is painful!
I was in alot of pain about 2 years after my first one.  I finally talked to my Dr. again as I wanted to have another baby- she sent me to a physical therapist who helped me some.  My cervix came out with Carson & I still have painful bowel movements, but they have gotten better.  I would talk with your Dr. again & tell them how bad it is.  I went thru the silver nitrate burning to help with scar tissue & was told at 6 weeks & a few weeks after that it would take time.  By 2 years, she was worried that there was a lot more nerve damage.  I got some exercises to help & I just have to be careful to stay regular & keep up on fiber.  I also still have some pain with sex, but have found some things work better than others.  I was able to help my incontinence with vaqrious exercises & kegels, there are different kinds though, so I wasn't doing the ones I needed to help me.  Good luck, you are not alone out there.
I had an episiotomy 16 months ago and I really didn't have alot of pain just some iching but recently I tried looking down there to see if everything was back to normal because this was my 3rd child and I know that the vagina usually makes its way back to normal within a few months.  Well, I cried when I saw and I still want to cry.  Its horrible!!  My vagina looks awful.  The clitoris was not sewn up apparently.  You can actually see what looks like my insides.  I had no clue because sex feels the same and I do kagel exercises and the actual hole is as tight as it was before and my husband has never said a word about it but after seeing I asked him why he didn't tell me that I was a freak now.  I made an appointment to see the ob and am scheduled for next month but I don't have insurance now and feel like it's the ob's fault he should have notice at my 6 week check up.  I'm so sad.
Beatrice37,

I had an episiotomy with DD 1/30/10.  Now almost 8 weeks later I still have an open sore near my perineum. I had silver nitrate applied twice on different sites, (first time on my labia) and it worked. I had the second treatment 2 days ago and it's soooo uncomfortable. I still can't walk straight. Not much pain , but pressure and soreness... and of course , sex is not even a thought yet. I am also so traumatized by my birth experience and can't imagine ever having another kid. I wish I had a c section, I would have been recovered by now and my lady bits would have been ok.   I am also do depressed about the loss of my functioning with this episiotomy which was unnecessary ,as the doc was scissor happy. It's such a horrible thing to go through and it's so unfair. I guess I just have to bide my time. But it's still so hard!
I have had 4 repairs 3 under local and one under GA. The problem with me is that the stuchers break down before I am healed.. It ***** having a sliced ugly looking loose feeling fan. Mind you the same doctor insisted they wouldnt break down the 4th time...
It was scary enough (may wait should i need to give birth some other time..) Different doctor...
well im not happy im so disgusted in what has happened to me i gave birth 10months ago to my 2nd daughter and they stitched me up that tight not even a tampon or a cotton swob they use at hospitals was able to enter i saw 4doctors who all told me i was stitched up too tight and then saw a gyn who based it all on shaving....how stupid did he think i was so i went to get a second opinion from a complete different hospital and they proved my point that i was infact stitched up way to tight...and 10months after given birth no way should i be suffering like this its not just affected my relationship and monthy cycle and all the pains ive had to put up with its given me depression .....has anyone else had anything like this?

kirstie x
Has any older moms had a stuch resurface years later and causes a scare,,,needing a bioplsy etc...
I had my son 17 months ago, I'm a small girl and he was 6 lbs 12 oz. (Vag. birth) so I thought I got lucky, I tore a little then the Dr sewed me up afterwards. I waited 8 weeks to have sex and took care of myself down there very well. The first time I had sex afterwards was very painful, like having sex for the first time except even worse! I thought it was b/c it hadn't been long after I had had my son but now it's been almost 1 year and 1/2 and it still feels just as painful. I have to use TONS of lubrication and we can only do like 2 positions. As if that's not bad enough, I leak slightly everytime after I urniate so by the end of the day it looks like I've pee'd myself (sorry tmi) but it's embarassing and it makes me really sad. People have said to get the Dr to restitch me but I'm so afraid when it comes to anything like that especially down there! & now I read women still have this problem 5 years later?! That ***** :(
I gave birth to my daughter 5 years ago, I went back to the doctors for three years complaining of how sore the scar tissue was an how it split whenever we had sex, only to be told that it was 'normal'!  A year ago I went back again and was refered for a fentons procedure, which I'm sad to say has only made the situation worse as the nurse who stiched me up originally pulled the skin so tight that there was none left for the surgeon to play with and all she could do was remove the balls of skin from inside the vagina.  I am now waiting for another referal to a specialist to see what can be done as my scar tissue now tears even when i'm doing daily chores! My advice to anyone suffering with this is bully your doctor into helping you, having a baby should not mean that your sex life is over!
I had my last baby almost 3 years ago, I never went to my 6 week check up after giving birth and I wish I did. My stitches came out before I was healed  and my episiotomy healed opened. I would like to go in a get episiotomy reconstuction but it cost so much. It makes a difference in my love life because I am not as tight as I should be. My husband doesnt complain but I know it would be better for both of us if I had the surgery. Has anyone else ever had this type of surgery?
Can anyone give guidanc on a post partum problem.  Issue:  What does it mean when there is fecal matter discharging from the vagina.  The Dr said it was a problem with the epsiotomy.  He stated to wait to see how it healed and suggested repair may be needed.  It has been 4 wks since delivery
please tell me more.  my time line in about like yours
I'm 22 years old and had my first baby, a beautiful boy, almost 5 months ago. A lot of things happened with this particular doctor during delivery that I wasn't happy with, but the worst came after delivery. He had to perform a 4th degree episiotomy, all the way through my rectum, front to back. Well, when repairing the episiotomy afterwards, he only spent about 20 minutes doing the repair. I didn't think much of it until I noticed I had gas and stool incontinance. I know this can happen right after childbirth, so I was patient, but it never improved. When I went in for my 6 week follow up, he told me it just didn't heal properly. I was a little suspicious, so I got a second opinion. Come to find out, he didn't repair me properly. He only repaired the outside, nothing inside, no muscle, no tissue, nothing. So I had no muscle, no tissue, NO SPHINCTER, NOT EVEN A PERINEUM!!! There was only a thin layer of skin between my vaginal opening and my rectum. I was devastated. I needed surgery.. by a specialist... An hour and a half from where I live. I just finally had the surgery 4 days ago, and it was more painful than it had been right after giving birth. When I woke up from the anesthesia, I immediately began yelling bc I was in so much pain. They ended up knocking me out with morphine. Recovery time will be 6-8 weeks, I can't breastfeed my son bc of the amount of pain meds I have to take for the pain to even be bearable, and I'm not allowed to bend down or lift my own baby for up to 6 weeks. All of this bc my doctor didn't bother to do his job. On top of it all, I can't have natural childbirth ever again. All I can say, is I am thankful that he screwed up on me and not my baby. Perhaps I'm lucky this is all that happened to me. I will never set foot in that doctor's office again.
Helen,
I'm sorry this has happened to you. In search for answers to what my problem might be, before I sought a second opinion, I found information on something called a rectovaginal fistula. It sounds like this may be your problem. It is an opening in the perineum between the vagina and rectum resulting in stool and gas sometimes passing through the vagina. It sounds like yours may be a small opening since you only notice a few spots, but this is still a big problem as you know that the bacteria in stool can cause major problems in the vagina! It does require surgery, unfortunately, and it would be a similar surgery to what I just had. It's painful, and a long recovery, but you'll be back to normal in no time :) I hope everything works out for you!
My ob took 2 hours to stitch my back up he kept redoing it until it was perfect. Thank god!! Well now it has been 7 months since then and yesterday and today my feces was really hard and big and my butt bleeds when I go to the bathroom now. I am really scared. Any suggestions? It isn't hard now, but it still bleeds.
Hi Iss9, I just wanted to say thank you for posting your problem...finally after search
Searching many medical forums for answers on what is happening to me, I found your post. I had my last baby 18 years ago & after a big 11 pound baby I was left with 4 internal tears & also cut front to back resulting in 57 stitches. So 18 years later, I have had spots of blood on the paper after going to the toilet, this only started 2years ago on & off but now it's everytime I have a bowel movement or have intercourse. It  stings like I've cut myself & spots of reddish/Brown on the paper ... I got brave last week & had a look with a mirror & it looks like there is a hole in the area of stitching & it really is uncomfortable to wear pants or even sit. I didn't think it was possible for the area that was stitched 18 years ago to 're open like this & thought I was going crazy to even think this but your post has confirmed that this can happen & even though it's scary, its helped me to know that I am not the only one this is happening too.
Thank you, I will now go to my gynecologist to see if he can fix it.
Thank you
Kye